Birth of a Dragon

BiggWill1988

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
legendarycurry

Sadly no news have been released regarding this film for quite some time. I'm assuming it is either being completley scrapped or it is stuck in the dreaded "development hell". Hopefully it will eventually see a release as I find the focus of the movie to be interesting.

I remember hearing about this film sometime ago, and completely forgot about it. I'm sure any fan of the genre would love to see this film made, I know I am extremely interested in it.

I see Yip Man 3 is also rumored or being worked on now, would be extremly awesome of both movies were somehow released in 015 or 016

I see Yip Man 3 is also rumored or being worked on now, would be extremly awesome of both movies were somehow released in 015 or 016

Ip Man 3 is a fact. Will also be in 3D, and feature a young Bruce Lee. It is scheduled for a late 2015 release. Can't wait to see it.

Casting is happening right now for Birth of the Dragon and one name is being considered. 

Mike-Moh-martial-artist.jpg?fit=1024%2C1

Mike Moh, who has gained quite a following after his portrayal of Ryu in Street Fighter: Assassin's Fist. His name has come up for the possibility of playing Bruce in his legendary fight against Wong Jack Man. 

Variety reports that Philip Ng (Wild CitySifu vs VampireZombie Fight Club) will portray Bruce Lee in Birth of the Dragon. Additional casting includes Yu Xia (Dragon Squad) as Wong Jack-Man, Billy Magnussen as Steve McKee, and Jinging Qu (Journey Through China), who'll be playing Steve's love interest.

Corey Yuen is handling fight choreography. 

I'm ambivalent on the status of what seems to be another Bruce biopic, but it's nice to see Philip Ng getting lead roles.

galvatron1976

Philip Ng Cast As Bruce Lee In Hollywood Biopic “Birth of the Dragon”

Philip Ng (伍允龍) has been cast as Bruce Lee (李小龍) in the upcoming biopic Birth of the Dragon, produced by Groundswell Productions. This announcement came just after Philip completed the filming of his debut TVB drama A Fist Within Four Walls <城寨英雄>, an upcoming action series about mysterious kung fu masters living in the Kowloon Walled City. According to Hong Kong news media, Philip spent over half a year to prepare for the casting auditions of Birth of the Dragon.

The martial arts action film, which has been in production since early last year, is currently shooting in Vancouver and is helmed by director George Nolfi with a script written by Christopher Wilkinson and Stephen J. Rivele. Corey Yuen (元奎) is choreographing the movie’s fights. Nolfi’s last directorial work was 2011’s The Adjustment Bureau, starring Matt Damon and Emily Blunt.

As reported on the American magazine Entertainment Weekly, the movie will be a recreation of the events leading up to the fateful duel between Bruce Lee and Northern Shaolin master Wong Jack-man (黃澤民) in mid 1960’s Oakland, California. It was a controversial match that changed Bruce’s kung fu philosophy. The battle is still one of the biggest mysteries in modern martial arts history, as many are still unsure why it happened and who had won it.
http://www.jaynestars.com/news/philip-ng-cast-as-bruce-lee-in-hollywood-biopic-birth-of-the-dragon/

9 hours ago, AlbertV said:

WWE Studios is distributing the film with BH Tilt (part of Blumhouse Entertainment)

http://deadline.com/2017/02/bruce-lee-birth-of-the-dragon-wong-jack-man-bh-tilt-wwe-studios-george-nolfi-1201899704/

:bs_thumbsdown::hvb_raging: They need to let this piece of BS garbage die a cruel death! haha. This might bring Bruce back from the dead to kick the filmmakers asses!

Mike Leeder

Do love how much backlash against this movie is based on "Oh Shannon Lee didn't approve" and "I heard its about a white guy more than Bruce Lee"  without majority of people seeing the movie..

The trailer might present that angle, but thats not what the movie is about, its a movie about the young Bruce Lee and yes the white guy is his student just as their were western students of Bruce Lee in real life...   Philip Ng gets to deliver a very solid turn as Lee as both an actor and martial artist

And considering that Shannon/Linda and the Bruce Lee Estate gave their blessing to THE LEGEND OF BRUCE LEE TV series , where Linda Lee is a hot blonde who follows her husband into action, and of course the epic Johnnie Walker whisky commercial (where Bruce's image is used, but speaking Mandarin rather than Cantonese and Lee himself spoke of whisky making him violent in one of his books) the Kung Fu Tea and all manner of oh so respectful uses of his name and image...

The movie as with YOUNG BRUCE LEE a few years ago which also wasn't approved by the Lee Estate focuses on the time before Bruce and Linda got together, unfortunately i think if the Bruce Lee Estate had made some money out of it, they would have quite happily approved this project

1 hour ago, Mike Leeder said:

Do love how much backlash against this movie is based on "Oh Shannon Lee didn't approve" and "I heard its about a white guy more than Bruce Lee"  without majority of people seeing the movie..

I see nothing of the sort in this thread or on this forum. Proof of this "backlash"? Since you're using quotes...

Is it out yet? How do you expect people to watch it? Not all of us get advanced screenings because of crappy reviews that get written on crappy websites.

Step down from that soapbox and spare us the lecture. You came on this forum just to post that garbage?

Mike Leeder

wow Feiry Reign,how dare someone have an opinion that you disagree with?  there has been a backlash against this movie since the first trailer appeared and people said without having seen the movie how its all told from a white guys perspective,  there was talk about it previously when the forum unfortunately lost several months of data...

Am i singling you or this forum out ref the backlash? No, I am not.... so calm down and get off your soapbox and pick up your own garbage mate

I said there has been a lot of backlash against the movie with accusations of it white washing etc and here's some of those really hard to find comments not from this forum but then again i didn't say in this forum...did i?

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/oct/17/bruce-lee-birth-of-the-dragon-film-cultural-appropriation-row

and here's a piece which reminds us that oh yes its a work of FICTION based on characters and events from Lee's life

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/bruce-lee-vs-wong-jack-man-fact-fiction-and-the-birth-of-the-dragon

Fist of the Heavenly Sky

If nothing else, I'd wager that Birth of a Dragon can be just as entertaining to watch as Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story. With that said, it's obvious that the producers are slapping Bruce's name on it strictly for publicity stunt reasons, since as far as we know Philip Ng's character in the film is nothing like the good ol' dragon we all know and admire. 

Oh well, for what it's worth, they did get the physical semblance right for the most part. However, I do think Philip would've been better off doing a remake of Big Boss. Hey, a man can dream.

On 4/1/2017 at 5:55 AM, FieryReign said:

Step down from that soapbox and spare us the lecture. You came on this forum just to post that garbage?

Let's please be respectful of others. You had some valid questions and points, which Mike addressed in a comment below. That should be that. :BL-Love:

Thank you.

FieryReign
On 4/1/2017 at 11:32 AM, Mike Leeder said:

wow Feiry Reign,how dare someone have an opinion that you disagree with?  there has been a backlash against this movie since the first trailer appeared and people said without having seen the movie how its all told from a white guys perspective,  there was talk about it previously when the forum unfortunately lost several months of data...

Am i singling you or this forum out ref the backlash? No, I am not.... so calm down and get off your soapbox and pick up your own garbage mate

I said there has been a lot of backlash against the movie with accusations of it white washing etc and here's some of those really hard to find comments not from this forum but then again i didn't say in this forum...did i?

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/oct/17/bruce-lee-birth-of-the-dragon-film-cultural-appropriation-row

and here's a piece which reminds us that oh yes its a work of FICTION based on characters and events from Lee's life

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/bruce-lee-vs-wong-jack-man-fact-fiction-and-the-birth-of-the-dragon

Get over yourself, fella. What opinion am I disagreeing with? Make sense.

Mike Leeder

'get over yourself, fella. What opinion am i disagreeing with? Make sense."

Previously

" Step down from that soapbox and spare us the lecture. You came on this forum just to post that garbage? '

Ah Fiery Reign it takes you 6 weeks to respond, and once again with this bizarre chip on your shoulder attitude... I commented you throw shade at me, i respond explaining what I was talking about and oh thats wrong too.... jeez

I've read all of the so called "controversy" over the film and I have to agree from the trailer, Philip Ng does look the part and yes, there may be some wirework in the fight from what I saw, but let's think about this. As @Mike Leeder it is fiction based on true events, meaning this could actually be quite entertaining. And as he indicated in another thread, the Lee Estate's "approved project" included the 2008 "Legend of Bruce Lee" series, which really shows its "accuracy" (yes, being sarcastic) and they have their own "Little Dragon" now coming? Nevertheless, as a fan of the genre and even if the movie gets good or bad reviews, I'm still going to see "Birth of the Dragon" regardless because a, I'm a fan of Philip Ng and b, it looks like something that could be entertaining.

DragonClaws
5 hours ago, AlbertV said:

Nevertheless, as a fan of the genre and even if the movie gets good or bad reviews, I'm still going to see "Birth of the Dragon" regardless because a, I'm a fan of Philip N

I think this moive is set for a mid Summer release?, in the U.S at least.

Fist of the Heavenly Sky
8 hours ago, AlbertV said:

I've read all of the so called "controversy" over the film and I have to agree from the trailer, Philip Ng does look the part and yes, there may be some wirework in the fight from what I saw, but let's think about this. As @Mike Leeder it is fiction based on true events, meaning this could actually be quite entertaining. And as he indicated in another thread, the Lee Estate's "approved project" included the 2008 "Legend of Bruce Lee" series, which really shows its "accuracy" (yes, being sarcastic) and they have their own "Little Dragon" now coming? Nevertheless, as a fan of the genre and even if the movie gets good or bad reviews, I'm still going to see "Birth of the Dragon" regardless because a, I'm a fan of Philip Ng and b, it looks like something that could be entertaining.

My stance on this movie is pretty much the same as before: It has potential for being a good flick, and I wouldn't even mind the inclusion of Bruce Lee's name on it were it not for the obvious publicity stunt value. I definitely don't think the attacks from others directed at Philip Ng are warranted in the slightest, because he already proved his chops on "Once Upon A Time In Shanghai." From what was shown in the trailers, Philip is essentially portraying his own character, as opposed to trying to directly emulate the Little Dragon.

Phantom Dreamer

"Philip is essentially portraying his own character".

A character named Bruce Lee. Sheesh.

Archived