How's Sonny Chiba's The Executioner?

Guest The Running Man

Guest The Running Man

I should point out that I hate Street Fighter and think it's garbage.

But, I've that this has Chiba's best, or among his best, action and are a lot better than his Street Fighter film.

Is this true? How is the action? Is it at the standard of HK action or is it more of the Street Fighter crap?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest kungfusamurai

It's 'more of the Street Fighter crap'. I didn't like the choreography in the SF films initially because I was so used to watching those 10 minute long HK fight scenes. But once I changed my outlook to viewing them like the samurai films, with the use of 'authentic' karate, my appreciation of the films grew.

While Sonny Chiba is his usual kick-ass self in the Executioner, the guy who steals the show is Yasuaki Kurata. He only fights in two scenes (one is really a demo in a dojo), but they are memorable.

The best thing about the way the fights are filmed in the Executioner is the lack of the 'shakey cam', which is prevalent in the Chiba films. Its a fixed cam, and they are wide shots so you get to see Chiba in all his glory from head to toe.

KFS

Guest The Running Man

Thanks for replying. :)

Well my problem on the SF film isn't that the fights aren't 10 minute long. It's the lack of cinematic understanding of action and the crummy performance of everyone. There really isn't any "authentic" martial arts displayed in that film. Just a lot of over the top facial experience and obnoxious heavy breathing and silly slow poses by Sonny Chiba. Sorry, but I just don't find that impressive in any way. Laughable really.

If Executioner is still like that I'll pass. I heard it was better than his other stuff so I figure the quality of the fights went up because of better direction on the fights and improved choreography.

Guest kungfusamurai

I agree that Chiba's SF films are not really great karate flicks per se. I think the angle they were going for was exploitation violence. And Chiba's manneurisms in the films seem to be based on some part with Bruce Lee's acting style.

The Executioner is another over the top action film, with more goofy comedy than exploitation scenes of gratuitous violence. The choreography is similar to the SF films, so you probably won't like it.

If you're looking for something more authentic, I would recommend Killing Machine, which is the story of the man who founded Shorinji Kempo. That film is done in a more serious manner.

KFS

I should point out that I hate Street Fighter and think it's garbage.

I think you got to see these movies for what they were, and not for what they are now, SF is pure 70's exploitation bliss, and Sonny was Japans Bruce Lee at the time. Most of Sonny's movies are so exaggerated and over the top, I consider them cult movies.

Guest kungfusamurai
How's the action in it?

I liked it, but again, it's not HK choreography. But to put things in perspective, I think the stuff going on in the Chiba films was a lot better than the HK films of that period, with the exception of the Shaw Brothers Shaolin cycle flicks. It wasn't until the late 70s that the HK action choreography really became consistent across the board.

KFS

Guest isamoo

The Executioner is my favorite Sonny Chiba flick by FAR.

I saw it when I was a kid on KCAL CH.9 here in Los Angeles and loved. The problem, Crash Cinema's English dubbed version has cuts and edits that were even shown in the TV broadcast way back in the day(a huge WTF Crash!). I am looking for a completely unedited version of Executioner, preferrably in the English dub(as hokey as it is, I love it).

Also, I notice that there is an Executioner II. Anyone seen this sequel? What's it like? Are there any nude scenes with "Emi"? :P

Guest Chinatown Kid

My favorite films of Chiba's were the one's he portrayed Mas Oyama in, they are: Karate Bullfighter, Karate Bear Fighter, and Karate For Life. He shows better Japanese style Karate technique in these films than he does in others imo. But it's a different style of choreography from the Chinese/Hong Kong way.

Guest Reincarnation Of Thundering Mantis

Hello Running Man,

I would have to say don't bother watching any other old school Sonny Chiba films. It sounds like you're not really a fan of that sub-genre. In fact I think the only Sonny Chiba you'd probably like is Fast and The Furious III: Tokyo Drift. I'm not a fan of the series myself. But it sounds like you'd enjoy them a lot more. Did you like the first one with Vin Diesal more or the second one with Ludicris more?

If not check out Born To Be King. Ekin Cheng has an excellent fight with Sonny Chiba. It's also an HK film loaded with HK style fights, so you'll probably enjoy it. Also check out this amazing 23 dvd box set of Ekin Chengs greatest concert moves and videos. Another set I think you'd enjoy greatly.

Cheers!

Guest iron flag

I watched for the first time yesterday,excellent movie.

The fight aren't as "choreographic" as what you usually see in HK movies but very brutal and quick. It's quite sad, showing what life was like in post WWII Japan. Highly recommended though.

Guest kungfusamurai

Killing Machine is a great movie overall. It emphasizes story and character development over pure exploitation and action. The choreography is on par with the other Chiba stuff of that day, except they showcase Shorinji Kempo, a karate style with modern shaolin kung fu influences.

KFS

Guest Reincarnation Of Thundering Mantis

I DON'T THINK YOU UNDERSTAND!

The Running Man doesn't like Sonny Chiba films. He only likes the kung fu moves of Hong Kong superstar Ekin Cheng. In fact if you watch several of Ekin Cheng concert tapes (NOW FINALLY ON DVD) during the 1995 Fabulous Odyssey you can see Ekin Cheng's signature dance move "The Running Man" in fact that is where the non-fan of Sonny Chiba movies The Running Man himself got his name from.

Guest isamoo

Yeah but I meant with the english dub.

There IS an uncut english dub Y'know, I watched it with my own eyes back when it was broadcasted on television years ago.

Guest cliffmac

Sorry, but BluRay and HD-DVD releases are on hold. Sadly, the market isn't ready for anything other than big studio drek. Retailers have told us that they wouldn't carry it...and that they will only carry the studio product.....cause you know everyone needs a copy of VanHelsing in HD...:rollin

Cliff

BCi

Guest SilentJay32

The thing is, they're probably right. At this point, it's mostly the videophiliac early adopters that have bought into the formats, and they're only looking for big, loud showcase stuff. That's something I've noticed on the retail side, that most of the early adopters only seem to be interested in stuff that they can show off their systems with, and not movies that they'd actually want to watch.

Guest kungfusamurai

I agree. The new technology is only as good as the source material its projecting. So if you have some mono print from the 70s, then it's sort of a waste to have such a high bitrate presentation. I mean, regular DVD seems to be good enough for now for those older film prints. Converting everyone over to a new format seems to be more of a money making gimmick by the companies (not a shot at your company Cliff) to get people to buy and re-buy these movies, like they way they've been putting out barebones releases, and then a year or two later, an upgraded 'special edition' version.

KFS

Guest morgoth

Any movie where a guy gets his rib ripped out is good. Plenty of nudity and Yasuaki Kuratu has an awesome fighting cameo. I think it was Shanghai 13 I was watching recently where a guy breaks the rib in half after ripping it out. :D

Guest Dion Brother

Love this movie. Predates the LUCKY STARS and ACES GO PLACES movies for the slick combo of martial arts action and comedy. And much funnier than the LUCKY STARS movies. One of Chiba's best.

The best things about The Executioner are the underground boxer and the cannibal wrestler! I haven't seen the second one yet, but got the first one with the Kill Chiba boxset.

If you hated The Street Fighter, you'll probably hate this one, and most other Chiba flicks.

Archived