Which SB Movie Have You Been Meaning To See, But Haven't?

SMK

Secret Executioner

I noticed some of the IVL I have have a little catalogue showcasing other releases and there are lots of opera/musical stuff. I considered buying a few of them at a point, just out of curiosity - but being short on cash, I haven't purchased any so far.

On a sidenote, I was also curious about the Mr. Funnybone films as I saw they were available on yesasia. These sound rather funny and kinda strange.

• Like 1

Judgement of an assassin starring David Chiang and Chan Wai Man has been in my crosshairs for quite some time now.Not to mention Sun Chung one of my favorite directors is at the helm.I've seen the preview pop up several times on some of my IVL purchases and I've already heard good things about it.One of chan wai man's finest screen performances as well.Just a matter of time before I get my mitts on it.

Edited by kokuryuha
  • Like 2

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Same here!! Except Human Lanterns!

Dear Miss Hei, with your theraputic background I bet you'd appreciate the writing / acting in Human Lanterns. Almost everyone is an absolute awful person. The murders and procurement of the skin is tastefully done* as is the thankfully off camera rape. 

*I've seen enough of that stuff from Eurocult to know...but I understand if you still refuse. 

Judgement of an assassin starring David Chiang and Chan Wai Man has been in crosshairs for quite some time now.Not to mention Sun Chung one of my favorite directors is at the helm.I've seen the preview pop up several times on some of my IVL purchases amd I've already heard good things about it.One of chan wai man's finest screen performances as well.Just a matter of time before I get my mitts on it.

My favorite Sun Chung film. It's fantastic - David and Chan Wai Man are terrific and the supporting cast are quite good too. CWM steals the movie - I love the tombstone shattering kick. The film's storyline is legal centric, and so very entertaining. 

Probably my most favorite Chan Wai Man villain  (though Lian San is a close second.)

You can get an official Deltmac Taiwan dvd on eBay super cheap.  

Edited by Lady Jin Szu-Yi
  • Like 2

Dear Miss Hei, with your theraputic background I bet you'd appreciate the writing / acting in Human Lanterns. Almost everyone is an absolute awful person. The murders and procurement of the skin is tastefully done* as is the thankfully off camera rape. 

*I've seen enough of that stuff from Eurocult to know...but I understand if you still refuse. 

i'm really torn about seeing it I've heard so much good things about it I may break down and see it but I'm still on the fence. I haven't heard anybody that had a bad thing to say about the film and a lot of people actually rave about it.  thanks for more the information about that though I saw that there were cut version and that some of the version that look that now or uncut so I didn't know if that made it worse with more on the screen violence rapes or peelings!! 

It's so crazy the level of severity and depravity of the things that I deal with in real life that have happened to the kids I see but I am literally still sick to my stomach after reading that thread that has that movie the Serbian film in it. I am so much the  opposite that there is so much that I can deal with better in real life than in film! I think part of the thing is if I'm not able to say oh it's just a movie because I stuff like that happens.  Plus it doesn't help that I still get nightmares! 

• Like 2

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

i'm really torn about seeing it I've heard so much good things about it I may break down and see it but I'm still on the fence. I haven't heard anybody that had a bad thing to say about the film and a lot of people actually rave about it.  thanks for more the information about that though I saw that there were cut version and that some of the version that look that now or uncut so I didn't know if that made it worse with more on the screen violence rapes or peelings!! 

It's so crazy the level of severity and depravity of the things that I deal with in real life that have happened to the kids I see but I am literally still sick to my stomach after reading that thread that has that movie the Serbian film in it. I am so much the  opposite that there is so much that I can deal with better in real life than in film! I think part of the thing is if I'm not able to say oh it's just a movie because I stuff like that happens.  Plus it doesn't help that I still get nightmares! 

Hei,

Having just scrolled through the film again, I'd side with your uncertainy and say skip.  Sun Chung filmed the rape largely from Lo Lieh and Tanny's faces, it is no less unpleasant. And the skin peelings can be a little rough if you've never seen some of the absolutely brutal / awful make ups in Italian horror films.

I can certainly understand because of your real life occupation how you'd rather skip this. There are many horror films I won't see. I skipped the posts about Henry and A Serbian Film because my morality meter kicks in. Real life horror is impossible for me to watch (I do enjoy some giallos from the 70s because many are hyperstylized and unreal. For all my enjoyment of some of Argento and Fulci films they are/were not nice people in real life and this reflects in their work. And I still refuse to see some of their work because it veers to close to reality for me.)

I would say 100% avoid The Master Strikes Back as that is equally unpleasant, and perhaps worse (a parent avenging their wronged child.)  I just watched probably for the last time in a very long while. If ever again.

• Like 2

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I can scratch Revenge of the Corpse off my list. :laugh (Pai Paio is such a  trooper. Between this, A Deadly Secret and The Weird Man he should have been given some kind of an award.) In Revenge's place, The Devil Mirror's is beckoning me.

I did see To Kill A Mastermind which was good, but the mostly unknown cast did not engage me as much as I hoped they would. 

I'll eventually get through The Water Margin and All Men Are Brothers, not knowing the source material and the huge cast is why I've held off. 

• Like 1

In my collection the following Shaws are unseen. Unless, that is, I've forgotten I've seen them. Mainly early 70s and late 60s, which was an area I was slightly less familiar with until recent years. It's a pleasant problem to have to wonder what to actually watch next. In fact the bigger problem is finding time, most my spare time goes in to training, playing Dark Souls and reading.

The Delinquent

Duel for Gold

The Pirate

Valley of the Fangs

Temple of the Red Lotus

Twin Swords

The Sword and the Lute

The Swift Knight

Brothers Five

The Golden Seal

Iron Buddha

Man of Iron

Four Riders

Trail of the Broker Blade

Flying Dagger

The Enchantress

Heads for Sale

Devils Mirror

Jade Faces Assassin

The Golden Sword

Golden Lion

Sword of Swords

Bells of Death

Oily Maniac

Angry Guest

Crimson Charm

Friends

Generation Gap

Chinese Boxer

The Singing Killer

After watching Duel of Fists earlier in the year I've got a real urge to watch something with Ti Lung and/or David Chiang set in modern day and with (hopefully) the most outrageous 70s clothing imaginable. I'm thinking Singing Killer, Friends or Angry Guest may be next.

• Like 2

I've been wanting to watch Ghosts Galore with Chin Siu Ho and Hwang Jang Lee.The significance being that I am a huge Chin Siu Ho fan and look to own not all of all his movies but the best of them as well as the fact this is the only other movie that Hwang Jang Lee filmed at Shaw brothers other than The Kid from Kwangtung.

Only problem is that this movie is scarce and not easy to find.I may have to resort to buying a BLT. (Bootleg transfer) I came up with that acronym in my Pirate days!?

• Like 1

Secret Executioner

In my collection the following Shaws are unseen. Unless, that is, I've forgotten I've seen them. Mainly early 70s and late 60s, which was an area I was slightly less familiar with until recent years. It's a pleasant problem to have to wonder what to actually watch next. In fact the bigger problem is finding time, most my spare time goes in to training, playing Dark Souls and reading.

The Delinquent

Duel for Gold

The Pirate

Valley of the Fangs

Temple of the Red Lotus

Twin Swords

The Sword and the Lute

The Swift Knight

Brothers Five

The Golden Seal

Iron Buddha

Man of Iron

Four Riders

Trail of the Broker Blade

Flying Dagger

The Enchantress

Heads for Sale

Devils Mirror

Jade Faces Assassin

The Golden Sword

Golden Lion

Sword of Swords

Bells of Death

Oily Maniac

Angry Guest

Crimson Charm

Friends

Generation Gap

Chinese Boxer

The Singing Killer

After watching Duel of Fists earlier in the year I've got a real urge to watch something with Ti Lung and/or David Chiang set in modern day and with (hopefully) the most outrageous 70s clothing imaginable. I'm thinking Singing Killer, Friends or Angry Guest may be next.

I'd definitely suggest watching The Pirate first, but I haven't seen (or sometimes don't know anything about) the other films in your list. I suggest this one mainly cause it's a really good one from Chang Cheh with great performances by Ti Lung and David Chiang. But it's not set in modern day, so maybe it's not exactly what you'd be in the mood for lately.

• Like 1

Angry guest is the direct sequel to Duel of fists, so, if you want to watch a David Chiang/Ti Lung duo in modern days, you have to watch this one first.

Then, The generation gap and Four riders still with the two of them.

All the movies of your list are interesting and very good (at least in my opinion, but I'm not very neutral regarding the Shaw Brothers' movies...), so, don't hesitate and watch all of them !! :smile

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Well, if you want something a bit goofy and Halloween flavored, The Enchantress is a super fun example of that. Tony Liu was having way too much fun in that movie and so was Lo Lieh.  < Needs to watch this again.

• Like 2

Rebel intruders(Killer Army),saw this movie many years ago on vhs can't remember it though so I've just purchased the DVD will be watching this soon.

• Like 1

The Pirate is a very good shout. I think I'm going to go with David Chiang/Ti Lung films so this is getting watched soon. I think Angela is right though, The Angry Guest must be prioritised!

Edited by Cloud Hands
  • Like 1

Well, if you want something a bit goofy and Halloween flavored, The Enchantress is a super fun example of that. Tony Liu was having way too much fun in that movie and so was Wang Yu.  < Needs to watch this again.

It's one of the few Chu Yuan's I haven't seen (Duel for Gold is another on my list), I am glad to hear this has horror elements.

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Winner Takes All (1982) and Hex After Hex (1983) are soon to be scratched off my want to see list. From what I've read about both, they're probable candidates for the Weird Fu section. :tongueout

@Cloud Hands The Enchantress has a little bit of horror and a  hilarious moment of possession,  it's an entertaining film. And Wang Yu is not in this (I forgot his Panda character is in Murder Plot), but Lo Lieh is here.  Lo Lieh and Tony Liu throw caution and everything else to the wind.  You can tell these two had a lot fun making this movie. 

• Like 3

I noticed some of the IVL I have have a little catalogue showcasing other releases and there are lots of opera/musical stuff. I considered buying a few of them at a point, just out of curiosity - but being short on cash, I haven't purchased any so far.

On a sidenote, I was also curious about the Mr. Funnybone films as I saw they were available on yesasia. These sound rather funny and kinda strange.

As for Shaw operas/musicals, I've only seen The Kingdom and the Beauty and The Love Eterne. Certainly good movies, but they were enough to make me realize that these kind of movies aren't for me.

Mr. Funnybone is definitely strange. Saying it's funny is debatable. It doesn't really have a story. It's more of a collection of skits. I think it might be one of those movies where knowing the language would make it a lot funnier. But still, not that bad. Maybe give it a watch.

• Like 1

Secret Executioner

Well, if you want something a bit goofy and Halloween flavored, The Enchantress is a super fun example of that. Tony Liu was having way too much fun in that movie and so was Lo Lieh.  < Needs to watch this again.

Winner Takes All (1982) and Hex After Hex (1983) are soon to be scratched off my want to see list. From what I've read about both, they're probable candidates for the Weird Fu section. :tongueout

@Cloud Hands The Enchantress has a little bit of horror and a  hilarious moment of possession,  it's an entertaining film. And Wang Yu is not in this (I forgot his Panda character is in Murder Plot), but Lo Lieh is here.  Lo Lieh and Tony Liu throw caution and everything else to the wind.  You can tell these two had a lot fun making this movie. 

Between The Enchantress and Hex after Hex, your contributions don't help with my search list - two more films added.  :coveredlaugh 

Aren't the Hex movies a sort of series ? I remember reading about there being several (maybe 5 ?) of those.  :thinking 

Edited by Secret Executioner
  • Like 2

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Between The Enchantress and Hex after Hex, your contributions don't help with my search list - two more films added.  :coveredlaugh 

Aren't the Hex movies a sort of series ? I remember reading about there being several (maybe 5 ?) of those.  :thinking 

You can pick up official Deltamac Taiwanese copies of the Enchantress and Hex After Hex on eBay relatively cheap.

The Enchantress

Hex After Hex

I can recommend  this Taiwanese seller 100% Secret.  

One Armed Boxer did mention the 3 Hex films in the Weird Fu thread, apparently Hex After Hex is the last one. 

• Like 1

hong kong godfather I have funimation disc but for some reason I have delayed it`s viewing long time. Ah well, maybe before end of the year...

:monk_toasting:

• Like 3