Five Shaolin Masters (1974)

SMK

^it`s propably fav Shaw movie although when just finished watching masked avengers would vote for it..5 Masters has it all, most of best Shaw actors, heroic and noble characters, awesome villains and even music fits. Proud to own TVP mediabook besides IVL and dragon dynasty dvds...

It`s not only CC flick where good guys doubt their abilities can they overcome bad ones...of course they do but some has not that good outcome.Uhm, I think re+++-visit it now..

• Like 4

This movie has one of my favorite visual scenes. When Ti Lung is training with the staff in the forrest. I just love the way this looks. The music is good too. I've always wanted a wallpaper of this scene.

• Like 2

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

The beginning is awesome.

It always hits me with much emotion. 

As it is one of the most quintessential kung fu movies of all time.

One of Shaw's best.

Image result for 5 shaolin masters

GD Y-Y

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

I'm not one of them but does anyone prefer "Heroes Two" over this movie?

Perhaps I do! Originally, I would have said yes! At first, it took a few viewings for me to get into Five Shaolin Masters but it has since moved up my list. But, I would have to sit down and watch them back-to-back now to see which I prefer. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, reason108 said:

Perhaps I do! Originally, I would have said yes! At first, it took a few viewings for me to get into Five Shaolin Masters but it has since moved up my list. But, I would have to sit down and watch them back-to-back now to see which I prefer. 

There is nothing wrong with "Heroes Two". Its a fun movie. But I just find myself more emotionally envolved with the characters and story of "Five Shaolin Masters". Also it's just a more epic movie on a grander scale. Not that that makes it better but for me it just feels more cinematic than most Shaw Brothers films from the same time frame and also later. And who can forget that haunting theme song that gives this film it's timeless atmosphere. I f'n love this movie man lol.

• Like 3

Chu Liu Hsiang

FIVE SHAOLIN MASTERS was among the first Shaws I saw and is still a favorite, just enjoyed the TVP Version some days ago. Love just everything about that movie, the story, the action, the characters, the landscape, that sense of "let's do that, together". Pity the "Secret Hand sign" didn't become as iconic as the Vulcan Salute.

• Like 4

On 2/26/2017 at 6:01 PM, Iron_Leopard said:

And who can forget that haunting theme song that gives this film it's timeless atmosphere.

Does anyone know where the theme song was originally from, a film or library music?

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane

I never got the fan fervor for this one. It's a fine film, but I'd rather watch Shaolin Martial Arts, Shaolin Temple or Heroes Two. I find FSM fairly generic and apart from Men from the Monastery feels the most low budget and slapdash of Cheh's "Shaolin Cycle" films.

• Like 2

Heroes Two is soooooooooooo lacklustre compared to this. Silly ground-digging and over the top "brother" issues, tibetan fighters in the end lame too...

H2 is still ok entertainment but bottom of barrel..

But on more serious note, 5SM captivated on character levels, heroes have more depth than in other CC shaolin movies, and even villains too. Story concerining shaolins know they cannot beat enemy works specially as some of them kick bucket.

H2 is not bad one but as have to choose about half a dozen CC shaolin flicks it does not score high.Tho on good day it would!

Hmm, haven`t watched Heroes Two ever with Hayes commentary track I will put it into watching pile.

Edited by Tex Killer
  • Like 2

Iron_Leopard
On 1/16/2019 at 12:47 PM, Tex Killer said:

Heroes Two is soooooooooooo lacklustre compared to this. Silly ground-digging and over the top "brother" issues, tibetan fighters in the end lame too...

H2 is still ok entertainment but bottom of barrel..

But on more serious note, 5SM captivated on character levels, heroes have more depth than in other CC shaolin movies, and even villains too. Story concerining shaolins know they cannot beat enemy works specially as some of them kick bucket.

H2 is not bad one but as have to choose about half a dozen CC shaolin flicks it does not score high.Tho on good day it would!

Hmm, haven`t watched Heroes Two ever with Hayes commentary track I will put it into watching pile.

This is my most watched Shaw Brothers movie and its because of the reasons you listed.

• Like 3

ShawAngela

This movie was one of the first I got in French language VHS and it's still one of my favorite one.

How long is the correct running time of this movie ? I have a 110mn running time, but on the English dubbed South African dvd I got, it's mentioned as a 123 mn running time movie...

• Like 3

No clue how many times seen this masterpiece during years but version from shawscope was best re-visit experience. New subs are improvement, meaning of hand codes are explained and in general dialogue is nicer(tho not quite all the time) than in old releases.

And now I at last remembered to check one thing;it`s not all male cast!There is at least 2 women walking on street on scene fu sheng meets wang lung wei on small town...:monk_laughing:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I know some people say this is a classic, but I just don’t see it . It checks all the boxes when it comes to a kung fu flick. Determined hero’s, Ton of fighting , techniques, weapons and  bad villains but alot of time is spent mostly in fields , making this feel like a cheap Taiwan flick. Cheapness aside , the action itself is pretty good and the climax admittedly does have some nice scenery , like the fight between Ti Lung and flying axe in the river . Not a bad movie, but it’s just one I don’t often revisit 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, HeavenSword said:

making this feel like a cheap Taiwan flick.

Well, I believe it was filmed in Taiwan under Chang Cheh's company (in order to get around quotas in other Asian countries) and distributed by Shaw Brothers. So that would explain the paucity of sets. But the fights--variety of weapons and styles and novelty of seeing pure Southern Shaolin styles on screen at that point--are all classic.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

Well, I believe it was filmed in Taiwan under Chang Cheh's company (in order to get around quotas in other Asian countries) and distributed by Shaw Brothers. So that would explain the paucity of sets. But the fights--variety of weapons and styles and novelty of seeing pure Southern Shaolin styles on screen at that point--are all classic.

Yes, fights were great.  Also, the special features for this one were great. I like the interview with Kong Do, he looked happy talking about these movies.

• Like 2

Just now, HeavenSword said:

I like the interview with Kong Do, he looked happy talking about these movies.

Did he by any chance talk about his experiences working with Godfrey Ho and the cut n' splice movies of the 1980s?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

Did he by any chance talk about his experiences working with Godfrey Ho and the cut n' splice movies of the 1980s?

Mostly about the movies Man Of Iron and Iron Bodyguard . Speaks about Chang Cheh  as well and his time with Shaw .  Good interview though . 

• Like 2