Shaw Brothers on iTunes

MarsHarmony

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz317/marlamst3k/avengingeagle1978small_zpse70515a7.jpg

I'm sure that many of you know that iTunes is selling Celestial Remastered Shaw Brothers classic titles, and if you didn't know you do now. :smile

At first the titles were hard to find in the store because there is no grouping for them, they are listed in the action & adventure genre but I had to enter Chang Cheh's name to bring any titles up. Then I followed links to Chang Cheh or some of the actors to find more titles. I was so pleased to purchase some of these movies that I missed out on DVD, and I sure hope they keep adding more and more films until the whole library is available. They have both original and dubbed audio tracks and many are HD or SD and some are just SD.

I have compiled a list, and will update if I see additions, of the Celestial SB titles that are currently available on iTunes and here it is.

5 Shaolin Masters

New Shaolin Boxers

Disciples of Shaolin

Shaolin Martial Arts

Avenging Eagle

Vengeance

Boxer from Shantung

Man of Iron

36th Chamber of Shaolin

Return to the 36th Chamber

Five Venoms

Kung Fu Instructor

Martial Arts of Shaolin

Crippled Avengers

Five Elements Ninjas

Kid With the Golden Arm

Disciples of the 36th Chamber

Shaolin Prince

Masked Avengers

Executioners from Shaolin

Chinese Boxer

Bare-Footed Kid

King Boxer

Invincible Shaolin

Flying Guillotine

Come Drink with Me

Heroes of the East

Blood Brothers

Anonymous Heroes

Hero (1997)

Monkey Kung Fu

Black Magic

Four Riders

Mad Monkey Kung Fu

Heroes Two

Mighty Peking Man

Justice My Foot

Savage Five

Super Inframan

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The easiest way to get to the Shaw Bros. page at the iTunes store is to use this link from your favorite browser, it will automatically open your iTunes (if you don't already have it open) and it will take you directly to where all of the titles are displayed.

https://search.itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZContentLink.woa/wa/link?path=shawbrothers

This has been the only way that I have found to open this page at the iTunes store, otherwise you have to type in a title, or an actor. Even when you do that, it does not necessarily list all of the actors titles available.

Anyway, use the link and enjoy!

:movie

MORE GREAT TITLES HAVE BEEN ADDED!

Shaolin Abbot

Challenge of the Masters

One Armed Swordsman

Return of the One Armed Swordsman

New One Armed Swordsman

Seven Man Army

Golden Swallow

Delightful Forest

The Fourteen Amazons

Master of Kung Fu

Behind the Yellow Line

I have! I've been able to add to my "missing from DVD collection" Vengeance, Executioners From Shaolin, Delightful Forest, Golden Swallow, Come Drink With Me, Boxer From Shantung and the "36 Chamber" Gordon Liu films and rented Chinese Boxer. (Not all at once of course. :rockon ) Someday I will own them all. :whew

I have even purchased several of the Fu Sheng titles even though I have two or three copies of each on DVD. It never hurts to have back up! :smile

Hei Meigui
The easiest way to get to the Shaw Bros. page at the iTunes store is to use this link from your favorite browser, it will automatically open your iTunes (if you don't already have it open) and it will take you directly to where all of the titles are displayed.

https://search.itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZContentLink.woa/wa/link?path=shawbrothers

This has been the only way that I have found to open this page at the iTunes store, otherwise you have to type in a title, or an actor. Even when you do that, it does not necessarily list all of the actors titles available.

Anyway, use the link and enjoy!

:movie

Thank you so much for posting this link. I was using it before I signed up as a member. It is the only way to see all the Shaw titles in one place. Plus they have just added what looks like at least 4 movies in this last week!!

:clappinghands:thumbsup

Secret Executioner

I'm really not an iTunes fan (not an Apple fan at all if you want to know the truth), but I must admit they have some really nice titles. :thumbsup

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I am looking forward to more films being added. While I prefer dvds, it's nice to have better digital versions of films I enjoy and/or cannot find on disc.

I am looking forward to more films being added. While I prefer dvds, it's nice to have better digital versions of films I enjoy and/or cannot find on disc.

I'm more of a digital person myself, just love the convenience of it. :smile

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I was at Celestial's Facebook trying to find the announcement of upcoming titles on iTunes (beyond the Brave Archer series and Marco Polo which I remember being mentioned at KFC forums) and I stumbled across a post mentioning blu rays.

https://www.facebook.com/ShawBrothersUniverse/photos/a.191921214394.124810.94741004394/10153379772409395/?type=1&theater

The post in question is a response to someone asking for more blu rays, in which Celestial says:

Celestial Pictures' Shaw Brothers Universe Film Library While more Blu-rays are in the works, your best selection will definitely be the digital array. They are all HD transfers and look amazing!

2 · June 11 at 5:31pm

As I open up to more SB, I'll take them in any format. I'd like more blu rays, but I also am appreciating digital more.

I've bought a few more Shaws on iTunes. I discovered a couple of gems that way, but any way I can get more Shaws without spending more than $8-10 per film would work for me. For iTunes, I'll rent or buy cheap (the SD version in several cases), and if I really liked the film I track down the hard copy. I've warmed up to digital because it's saved me some money on films that were okay.

MarsHarmony
I was at Celestial's Facebook trying to find the announcement of upcoming titles on iTunes (beyond the Brave Archer series and Marco Polo which I remember being mentioned at KFC forums) and I stumbled across a post mentioning blu rays.

https://www.facebook.com/ShawBrothersUniverse/photos/a.191921214394.124810.94741004394/10153379772409395/?type=1&theater

The post in question is a response to someone asking for more blu rays, in which Celestial says:

As I open up to more SB, I'll take them in any format. I'd like more blu rays, but I also am appreciating digital more.

I've bought a few more Shaws on iTunes. I discovered a couple of gems that way, but any way I can get more Shaws without spending more than $8-10 per film would work for me. For iTunes, I'll rent or buy cheap (the SD version in several cases), and if I really liked the film I track down the hard copy. I've warmed up to digital because it's saved me some money on films that were okay.

Thank you for the update, those are great titles coming up! :rockon

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

nice to see you here marsharmony...

I am looking forward to more SB titles on iTunes as well.

There certainly should be more blu-ray releases. DVD is old news now. :smile

The price is right for the iTunes download but it sucks that there is no way to back up that copy onto disc. I already own my collection on dvd and was looking to upgrade certain titles to HD. So, until the time comes when I can get a blu-ray of some of these films, then I guess I will fill the need with iTunes downloads. But, Celestial did an amazing job with the recent blu-ray release of the 36th Chamber of Shaolin trilogy box set. Though a little on the steep side of pricing, it was more than worth it as the quality of the release was top-notch. I wish they would do more of these but perhaps do single releases as box sets can get a little expensive.

But, from reading that post it seems that their focus is streaming and downloads but from time to time we might get a blu-ray release. I really wish it was the other way around. So, it is a little sad but also a little promising that we will get some future titles. :crying:smile

I may have to pick up Apple`s streaming box (Apple TV) or Roku at some point if things continue down this road. The ultimate goal is to have my favorite Shaws in HD. They looks so much better than those old Region 3 dvd`s that I bought. No matter what, it is important that these films stick around, that they will be available to future generations. I will continue to support them as best as I can. But, right now I am buying casual because if some of these titles are released on blu, then no need to have it on both formats.

My iTunes Shaws (so far):

Super Inframan

Executioners from Shaolin

Dirty Ho

8-Diagram Pole Fighter

Challenge of the Masters

Mad Monkey Kung Fu

Legendary Weapons of China

Clan of the White Lotus

Heroes of the East

Martial Arts of Shaolin

Masked Avengers