Favorite Actor in uncommon role?

PaiLum

I recently watched a movie called Killer Meteors with Jackie Chan playing a villain. I thought it was a great and fun movie with an awesome plot. But to me the biggest significance is that Jackie was a bad guy. I love it when you only see an actor a certain way and they go and surprise you. Anyone else have a favorite actor where a role surprised you?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sammo in SPL first villain he played for nearly 30 years one of the reason it's my favourite film of this century.

Lo Lieh in HUMAN LANTERNS it unusual to have should cunning psychos in Kung Fu Films but I guess I might this one is actually boarder line Kung Fu really.

I personally always enjoyed seeing Yuen Biao as a thug or in a villainous role (as he did more than a few times early on). I distinctly remember watching my first kung fu films -- My Lucks Stars, Meals on Wheels, Knockabout, Prodigal Son, and others -- where he gets into a little bit of trouble but he's not a bad guy. Thus, when I see him talk tough and get into quarrels with the "good guys" in his early films, it always amuses the heck out of me.

Yuen has always been one of my favorites, largely in part because of his crazy acrobatic skills.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Lu Feng as a hero:

Loved him in Legend of the Fox, Brave Archer 2 (such a sweet Beggar Clan elder), and The Daredevils (where he promptly makes fun of his wealthy, smug aristocratic bad guys.)

Lo Meng as a villain:

especially in Brave Archer 2 and 3. He was having way too much fun as the Iron Palm leader.

Ti Lung as a villain:

While Blood Brothers did not quite do it for me, Ti was fantastic as a bad guy. I also loved his quasi-villains in Avenging Eagle and The Deadly Breaking Sword.

Dick Wei as a hero:

Yang's birth father in Brave Archer and the dying Master of the Venoms clan in Five Deadly Venoms.

legendarycurry

Here are a few examples

Anita Mui in "Drunken Master 2" having Anita play Jackie Chan's mother in a film is pretty damn hillarious and unusual.

Chin Kar Lok in "Full Throttle" one of Hong Kong's greatest stuntmen and an underrated screenfighter Kar Lok really showed he was a solid actor in this film and the Hong Kong Film Awards took notice.

Billy Chow in "Paper Marriage". Known for playing villains Billy actually has more of a good guy role in his one, and he still gets to show off his excellent kickboxing, both fightinbg against and alongside Sammo.

Charlie Chin and Yuen Biao in "On The Run" Both of them playing very good serious roles with Chin being especially surprising as the villain. The final fight scene is really well done and Chin managaes to hold his own against Biao.

Secret Executioner
Lo Lieh in HUMAN LANTERNS it unusual to have should cunning psychos in Kung Fu Films but I guess I might this one is actually boarder line Kung Fu really.

I really enjoyed his performance here, he seemed to be having a ball playing this completely insane character.

Ti Lung as a villain:

While Blood Brothers did not quite do it for me, Ti was fantastic as a bad guy.

Agreed here, the movie isn't that great IMO, but Ti Lung's character is one of the best elements in there. And even more unusual is that he has a nice moustache, and he looks good that way.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I really enjoyed his performance here, he seemed to be having a ball playing this completely insane character.

Agreed here, the movie isn't that great IMO, but Ti Lung's character is one of the best elements in there. And even more unusual is that he has a nice moustache, and he looks good that way.

Ti rocks the mustache quite well. :tongueout

I agree with the comment about Lo Lieh in Human Lanterns, he just let his freak flag fly. Superb. I also adore Lo Meng in this film and the scene the two Lo's shared is one of my favorites. As Szu-Yi makes the comment about how Chun-Fang changed for the worse, I can just see Chun-Fang thinking "Oh, you're putting me down too. Well Szu-Yi, I'll help put you down permanently." Lo Lieh could project a very menacing aura when he wanted to and boy was he scary here.

BiggWill1988

I was thinking the same about Anita Mui in Drunken Master 2 the first time i saw it, I was not expecting her in that role and it was hilarous too

Archived