Outlaw Brothers (1990)

Phoenix

After seeing a review on

I decided I HAD to see this film. Yukari Oshima is the bomb & somehow this one had completely gone under my radar. It was a happy day when my dvd arrived in the mail...5 weeks later :thinking

With all the holiday madness over I finally got to actually watch it & it does not disappoint. Fitting into the girls with guns genre (although as with most of that genre guns were not the most used weapon!!) with fast & hard fist fights, the strong policewoman lead, & the obligatory car chase or 2 Outlaw Brothers had me grinning from start to end.

My only gripe was that there wasnt really a fight between the 2 leading ladies. I was really looking forward to Oshima & Michiko Nishiwaki duking it out, but nontheless it was still great. Possibly that fight could have replaced the time (& for once, mildly distressing) chickens scene. There's been many an animal killed in HK movies but I found this a bit over the top.

Anyway, if you like your girls with guns, or kicks & punches & leaps & flips then I recommend this film wholeheartedly. Thank you late 80's early 90's HK cinema for giving us such a brilliant genre.

Video courtesy

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TibetanWhiteCrane

• Phoenix

• Keung

• Drunken Monk

I just watched this a week or so ago...DAMN fun flick. It really has a late 80's/ear;y 90's Jackie/Samme/Biao vibe to it (I'm in large part as Jackie being involved) lol.

James(frankie chan) and Bond are car thieves who end up to involving things of drug gang through family matters. Around is also cop (Yukari Oshima) who has thing going on with James..or something...blah blah

Dialogue scenes feel often awfully boring, didn`t like humor/slapstick neither(except final seconds of flick which was surprise and funny). First action scene James vs security staff is also bit ruined coz slapstick. Here and there are few minor fights, before finale only worth praising is garage brawl Yukari vs thugs, that was good one.

Takes quite long time for Michiko Nishiwaki+his gang of western martial artists to appear.

Some talents of Michikos henchmen are horribly wasted but Jeff Falcon and Mark Houghton have great fights against Frankie and Yukari.

It could have been better, but there are good things around enough to give it revisit one day.

• Like 3

Cognoscente
On 8/7/2011 at 9:18 PM, Reel Power Stunts said:

I know that earlier UK releases also suffered cuts to balisong knife use.

I'm reminded of an old issue of Eastern Heroes where God of Gamblers II (1990) was reviewed. In his review, the critic mentioned that a similar scene had been censored.

• Like 2

ShawAngela

I just finished to watch Outlaw brothers that I bought as a blind buy after just seeing a clip on youtube, and I ENJOYED IT A LOT !! It had all what I love : some funny gags, Max Mok's charming smile, excellent fights and Yukari Oshima !!

I though that it was the first time I watched Frankie chan in a movie, but looking at his filmography, I realized that it was him who played the prince in The Prodigal Son. He is a good onscreen fighter, I love wathching him !

I also saw on hkmdb that he had a daughter who sadly died at 40.

For those who haven't watched this movie as yet, it is highly recommended ! Oh, and there are also Kong Do and Fung Hark On in the movie, with a bog fight each. I loved the broom as a weapon !!

Are there any other Frankie Chan's action movie that I should watch with the same level of good action as in this one ?

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane
15 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Are there any other Frankie Chan's action movie that I should watch with the same level of good action as in this one ?

Burning Ambition and Fun & Fury.

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1