What's your favourite Martial Arts weapon?

Omni Dragon

Guest Anonymous
I've seen nunchucks that could be one metal stick. The top where the chain is tied gets down in the stick and you can screw the sticks together when the chain is inside them. Easier to turn the stick into chucks (unscrew and pull) than the other way around though.

I've also seen some katanas where the handle and the blade aren't put together that great, really shitty quality here. :thumbsdown

I have a nunchaku like that where you screw them togther. They are metal and turn into a baton or club type weapon. Mine suck so bad! Only one chain on on bar swivels while the other is stationary. It makes no sense. Also the weight is annoying and makes it hard to use. The chain inside when you screw it together clinks around so loud you could never be silent. I want to get rid of it at a garage sale or something.

Secret Executioner

I have a nunchaku like that where you screw them togther. They are metal and turn into a baton or club type weapon. Mine suck so bad! Only one chain on on bar swivels while the other is stationary. It makes no sense. Also the weight is annoying and makes it hard to use. The chain inside when you screw it together clinks around so loud you could never be silent. I want to get rid of it at a garage sale or something.

Sounds like the type I came across. Glad I never bought that piece of junk.

• Like 1

Guest Anonymous

I got it for about 5.99, actually my mom bought it for me from some Asian owned store in this small town. I was not with her, she just got it for fun. I personally would not have bought it myself.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Secret Executioner and WhiteDragon I know the baton/nunchaku change-o weapon you are talking about. I have one. It's definitely true that they are loud and not good at all as a concealed weapon or for any sort of stealth attacks. Since I am so crazy about nunchaku, I am still happy to have it as part of my collection though.

Not sure if you guys ever heard of or saw them, but the same day I bought the 'converta-nunchaku' I bought a 'converta-three-section staff' too. I was so excited- a metal bo staff that changed into a three-section staff?! Just like something out the movies! I couldn't even wait to get home to try it. My buddy and I ran to a stretch of grass next to the store and I tried it out. On the very first wrap I did around my body, two of the three sections completely bent! Ugh. I took it back in and the clerk said "Well it's only made out of aluminum. What did you expect?" After politely pointing out that it was absolute garbage and what a good customer I had always been, they refunded my money. I think the manufacturer stopped making them soon after that, as I've not seen one in a long time.

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Here is a photo of part of my nunchaku (and flexible/chain) weapons that I took when I first moved into my house (hence the mess in the background). One of these days I will take some nice photos of the finished Temple of the Dragon Monkey.

post-59-144199715299_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Wow...Bob

Your nunchuka display looks like one you'd find in a very nice store. :clappinghands

• Like 1

The three-section staff. I first witnessed Gordon Liu demonstrating it onscreen in the 36th Chamber of Shaolin. Unfortunately, I was never able to learn how to use them, but there are my favorite weapon for looks and to have frame in my apt or house. I love the look of the three-section staff, I even have a tattoo variant of it.

post-54-144199715324_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Looks like one nice collection there. And are those DVDs on the shelf in the back ?!

The two tiny, top shelves are books (the PATH OF THE ASSASSIN and SAMURAI EXECUTIONER manga) and then the F-N DVDs of my Asian film collection.

Wow...Bob

Your nunchuka display looks like one you'd find in a very nice store. :clappinghands

:happy Thanks. They weren't all on there, because I have one in the car, a couple on the ground level of the house, and a few upstairs too. That way they're always handy when I want to practice. And I have all different lengths and weight chucks so that I can handle them all efficiently.

They're actually displayed differently now, in a manner I like much better. The black thing they were hanging on in the photo is a three sided display thing that spins. It's nice, but took up a lot of room.

The three-section staff. I first witnessed Gordon Liu demonstrating it onscreen in the 36th Chamber of Shaolin. Unfortunately, I was never able to learn how to use them, but there are my favorite weapon for looks and to have frame in my apt or house. I love the look of the three-section staff, I even have a tattoo variant of it.

They are a challenge to use, but so much fun. I hope to improve with this weapon (lot of room for that) once I can afford to put a nice fence around my backyard. I don't like feeling like I'm on display- I want more privacy so I can relax and concentrate on what I'm doing.

Can you post a photo of your tattoo? :happy

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Posted.

Thanks! The weapon looks wicked.

What does the text say? Sorry, I've always had a hard time reading that type of font.

• Like 1

Thanks! The weapon looks wicked.

What does the text say? Sorry, I've always had a hard time reading that type of font.

My last name, Cotton.

• Like 1

Guest Anonymous
Secret Executioner and WhiteDragon I know the baton/nunchaku change-o weapon you are talking about. I have one. It's definitely true that they are loud and not good at all as a concealed weapon or for any sort of stealth attacks. Since I am so crazy about nunchaku, I am still happy to have it as part of my collection though.

Not sure if you guys ever heard of or saw them, but the same day I bought the 'converta-nunchaku' I bought a 'converta-three-section staff' too. I was so excited- a metal bo staff that changed into a three-section staff?! Just like something out the movies! I couldn't even wait to get home to try it. My buddy and I ran to a stretch of grass next to the store and I tried it out. On the very first wrap I did around my body, two of the three sections completely bent! Ugh. I took it back in and the clerk said "Well it's only made out of aluminum. What did you expect?" After politely pointing out that it was absolute garbage and what a good customer I had always been, they refunded my money. I think the manufacturer stopped making them soon after that, as I've not seen one in a long time.

Holy crap are you serious?!?

My friend bought one back when I was a teenager. It actually was hard and heavy. But extremely noisey with the chain inside. Also to unscrew a 3 sectional staff is a bit tedious so its not a fast convertible weapon it takes time to unscrew and re-screw it. But what is cool is you can unscrew only 1 section and have a long pole with a flail at the end.

Guest Anonymous
Here is a photo of part of my nunchaku (and flexible/chain) weapons that I took when I first moved into my house (hence the mess in the background). One of these days I will take some nice photos of the finished Temple of the Dragon Monkey.

[attachment=0]Part of my nunchaku collection in the Temple of the Dragon Monkey.jpg[/attachment]

You have a lot!!!! I like the rattan ones. My pair have lasted 15 years and the chain has never broke. I was using them every day for several years as well.

Do you have video of you going crazy with your weapons?

Secret Executioner

The two tiny, top shelves are books (the PATH OF THE ASSASSIN and SAMURAI EXECUTIONER manga) and then the F-N DVDs of my Asian film collection.

Sh*t, just this section might be bigger than my whole DVD collection.

Yeah, I guess it's more of a novelty item.

Never heard of or saw that sort of things. But it's a bummer it turned out to be such a rubbish item.

• Like 1

DragonClaws

[attachment=0]Part of my nunchaku collection in the Temple of the Dragon Monkey.jpg[/attachment]

Thanks for sharing this picture Bob, that's a great collection. I used to hang my nunchaku on the wall using a small nail to hang the chain link on.

Has anyone here ever come across the telescopic nunchaku?. Some can be small enough to fit in a coat pocket and once extended are the same length as a normal pair of nunchaku. I've never actually owned a pair but they used to be advertised a lot in British Martial Arts magazines. They work just like the telescopic batons that some police forces use.

Guest Anonymous

Does anyone ever lay out their weapons in a sexy looking pattern and admire them exactly like you are in a ninja movie? Like nunchaku over therem, a few throwing stars under it, then a katana laying above all the weapons, then your bo staff underneath everything, then some sai, then your 3 sectional staff, then your butterfly swords in an X laying on each other. Etc.

DragonClaws
Does anyone ever lay out their weapons in a sexy looking pattern and admire them exactly like you are in a ninja movie? Like nunchaku over therem, a few throwing stars under it, then a katana laying above all the weapons, then your bo staff underneath everything, then some sai, then your 3 sectional staff, then your butterfly swords in an X laying on each other. Etc.

I don't have enough of a collection to really do that. Just a couple of swords and some nunchaku nothing special.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Has anyone here ever come across the telescopic nunchaku?. Some can be small enough to fit in a coat pocket and once extended are the same length as a normal pair of nunchaku. I've never actually owned a pair but they used to be advertised a lot in British Martial Arts magazines. They work just like the telescopic batons that some police forces use.

Yes, I have them. They are in the photo on the very bottom, far left of the rack. They are unwieldy to handle, noisy, not very sturdy, and I would not recommend them. The best thing about them is 'the reveal' when you have this tiny thing in your palm that suddenly becomes a dangerous looking weapon. Outside of using them for a movie scene I would never go to that pair.

• Like 1

DragonClaws

Yes, I have them. They are in the photo on the very bottom, far left of the rack. They are unwieldy to handle, noisy, not very sturdy, and I would not recommend them. The best thing about them is 'the reveal' when you have this tiny thing in your palm that suddenly becomes a dangerous looking weapon. Outside of using them for a movie scene I would never go to that pair.

They looked more like a gimmick but having not handled them I couldn't comment. I've never seen those baton style nunchaku that screw together for sale. The only time I come across them are in old Kung Fu films.

The movie

the 3 section staff

Throwing Stars

Chinese Broad Sword

Real Life

Tiger Fork

Spear

Chinese War Sword

All made by Cold Steel

Also check out National Geographic showing the top 10 deadly Kungfu weapons this video is great about kung fu weapon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC2gKnAKsMg

Edited by bearpower
  • Like 1

I like rope darts and chain whips in movies. They are probably extremely diificult to frame fights around, which makes the final result more memorable,  like in DR WEI and LION VS LION.

I hope that at some point in my life, I can see a fight scene with the zhuo, the pole arm with a metal hand holding a spike at the end.

• Like 1

post-59-144199715299_thumb.jpg

Here's a few of mine.

fnd2fs.jpg

2iqmxb7.jpg

Edited by SteyrAUG
  • Like 3