What's your favourite Martial Arts weapon?

Omni Dragon

On or off screen?

Pole/Bo staff, 3 Sectional Staff, Guan dao, Straight Sword, Dao(broadsword), Katana, Spear ect

On screen I think I like the Pole the most.

You know personally I'm not to that big on the Nunchaku even when Bruce was using it, it always seemed a bit cheap it's quite a bit of flailing & spinning to the camera. I don't hate them there ok maybe a bit over rated.

Anyone tell this thread started off as Kung Fu weapons I through Bo staff & Katana after I realised I typed about the Nunchaku & though not really Kung Fu.

• Like 2

shaolin swords

i got to say its the same for me in the movies and real life my fav weapon is the tai chi sword and butterfly swords and 3 section staff but i will say i love the way adam cheng used the sword in shaolin and wu tang and gordon liu used the butterfly swords and 3 section staff heroes of the east i think all these weapons i stated are good in the movies and real life

• Like 2

For training Im a fan of the taichi sword & long staff

In films the spear or short sticks (eg. eskrima) are definitely my stand outs. Jackie Chan & Sammo Hung make them especially great to watch

• Like 1

Secret Executioner

I practice nunchakus in real life, but my favorite movie weapons would be:

- the three-section staff, which I would really like to practice, just need to get one and find instructional videos. Thank you Gordon Liu, I've been into this weapong since seeing the final moments of 36th Chamber Of Shaolin, San Te is just so badass using this. :thumbsup

- the flying guillotine: was that ever a real-life weapon ?! I read it seems like a legendary weapon, not something people have actually used (especially blind people, just sayin'). :thinking

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I have many favorites, but long pole weapons seem to be my choice lately.

Spear, Guan Dao and 3 section pole staff are the weapons which really catch my attention.

If I had to pick one, probably the Guan Dao. From Odd Couple to Magnificent Ruffians and the Lost Bladesman, I just love watching people wield this.

• Like 1

Hands down it would be the Fan. I'm on a Ti Lung bender and with the series including Legend of the Bat (which was hard to get through for some reason) and last night I started watching Sentimental Swordsman I love it. Even when Lo Leih was using it in Dirty Ho.

• Like 1

- the flying guillotine: was that ever a real-life weapon ?! I read it seems like a legendary weapon, not something people have actually used (especially blind people, just sayin'). :thinking

Really? Blind people!! :coveredlaugh Although the blind master in Ti Lung's Opium and the Kung Fu Master may have been able to pull it off!

• Like 1

Secret Executioner

Really? Blind people!! :coveredlaugh Although the blind master in Ti Lung's Opium and the Kung Fu Master may have been able to pull it off!

You've never seen Master Of The Flying Guillotine, have you ? Cause that's where the blind guy I was referring to comes from. :wink

• Like 1

Easily the Guan Dao for me.. I love the combination of power and finesse that this weapon can show when weilded right! There are many great showcases for it, but I would probably feel fulfilled watching only the finales of Magnificent Ruffians and Dirty Ho forever.

I also like the staff with the iron-hand the monk in the 36th Chamber has that he uses to wake Gordon Liu up after he knocks himself unconscious. :rofl

• Like 1

You've never seen Master Of The Flying Guillotine, have you ? Cause that's where the blind guy I was referring to comes from. :wink

Ohh!! :blush I'm going to have to see it. I've been meaning to. If I'm right it's on iTunes as "The Flying Guillotine"

• Like 1

"The Flying Guillotine" is a different movie than what GHW is referring to. The one on iTunes is a Shaw Brothers movie featuring Chen Kuan Tai, awesome suspenseful movie - but nowhere near the greatness that is Master of the Flying Guillotine!

:rofl

Edit: By GHW I mean Secret Executioner of course!

• Like 1

That is the one to get for sure. If I remember correctly, there was something wrong with the Deluxe Edition.

• Like 1

Secret Executioner

That is the one to get for sure. If i remember correctly, there was something wrong with the Deluxe Edition.

I have this version, and it's really great for sure. :thumbsup

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Ohh!! :blush I'm going to have to see it. I've been meaning to. If I'm right it's on iTunes as "The Flying Guillotine"

Hei Meigui, I also agree with Paimeifist and SMK- MASTER OF THE FLYING GUILLOTINE (1975, aka. One-Armed Boxer 2; One Armed Boxer vs. The Flying Guillotine) is super fun! In my opinion it's one of the most thoroughly entertaining kung fu films ever made, and includes unforgettable characters and English dub dialogue, killer music, multiple tournament matches, and one of the best villains of the genre.

The Shaw Brothers Studios' films that feature the weapon- THE FLYING GUILLOTINE 1 and 2 (1974 & 1978 respectfully), and THE VENGEFUL BEAUTY (1978) are pretty serious films, but MASTER OF THE FLYING GUILLOTINE is gloriously over the top, with Jimmy Wang Yu playing his One-Armed Boxer character, and Kam Kong as the unique assassin sent to kill him. It has a colorful, comic-book style, but with some brutal violence. Note: If you get into watching "guillotine movies (and there are quite a few) beware of the film FATAL FLYING GUILLOTINE. This had a wide release in the USA, but the version put out has some of the film reels out of order!

Now to get back on topic... I am a nunchaku fanatic. A "Nunchakubeast" if you will. I've been training with them for nearly 32 years. I love them. Most people only picture them as flailing weapons, but they are great for defense, chi-na locks, restraining violent persons, and using as connected yuwari too. I have a collection of various types/styles of nunchaku and still totally dig training with them.

I also dig the three-section staff a lot, and Eskrima sticks.

• Like 1

wow, a lot of interesting point of views and descriptions....

for me it would be the wooden long staff because it flexes beautifully and I like the simplicity of the weapon, and I also love the butcher knives, they are short yet pretty large and heavy and I think that is the weapon I would be the most afraid to battle against..... I cant remember movies with butcher knives fights... does any of you could mention if they remember a good butcher knife fight ?? Id love to watch or rewatch any of them but I really cant remember any......

• Like 1

I also love the butcher knives, they are short yet pretty large and heavy and I think that is the weapon I would be the most afraid to battle against.....

Anything with a sharp blade I would also be afraid to go against in a battle. The thought of being cut or stabbed does not sound fun. :pandanolove:pandakungfu

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Okay, I am updating my answer because Ti Lung's multi-purpose spear in Swordsman and Enchantress just made me love that movie and his character a little bit more.

Pole weapons are favorites of mine anyway and that spear includes a hidden sword and the spearhead itself can be used as a projectile weapon as it's on a chain. I saw that this past weekend and immediately exclaimed I want one (Ti's Xiao would be nice too... :tongueout )

but seriously, that film made me appreciate spears more and not just because of the hidden features.

• Like 1

Guest Anonymous

In real life there are not many places that would sell a multi purpose spear or weapon. You would have to make it yourself.

The factory things like nunchaku or 2 sectional staffs that screw together or whatever are so freaking noisey and clangy and can unscrew in the middle of using it etc. Its not practical. It would be cool if someone made a good one though but I bet it would cost a lot of money. They used to also make cool ninja katanas that unscrew the handle and holds knives or shuriken on the guard etc. Those are made so cheap.

I have used nunchakus for many years since I was 14. I also was using the bo staff a lot. I got bored of them or quit using them much and focused one empty hand a lot. But several years ago I got into eskrima and really find the stick weapons of eskrima/kali as one of the most practical and easy to wield weapons I have ever used. I also am fond of basic knives and machetes. I think a machete is a very effective weapon.

The Japanese weapons are great and all but its so difficult to find a high quality sword you can actually fight with that wont bend, whip in your face on impact and cut you, or just break off. They dont make many battle proof.

Also for kung fu weapons most of the ones you an buy are purely demo weapons and not real to fight with.

Sometimes you can only find regular blades such as bowie knives etc that are useful for real world fighting.

But I have found plenty of nunchaku, bo staff etc that are solid an can be used as weapons.

I love knives, short sticks and long staff/pole weapons. I would love a short sword but never owned one strong enough to fight. So I would use a machete instead.

Secret Executioner

I've seen nunchucks that could be one metal stick. The top where the chain is tied gets down in the stick and you can screw the sticks together when the chain is inside them. Easier to turn the stick into chucks (unscrew and pull) than the other way around though.

I've also seen some katanas where the handle and the blade aren't put together that great, really shitty quality here. :thumbsdown

• Like 1