Man with the Iron Fists

PaiLum

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally not enough actual kung fu in this movie. Enjoyed the concept of the different clans and different clan weapons and a way to define each one based on weapons/clothes and the such. Liked Russel Crowe's character however felt that it was not needed. Didn't like RZA in it at all and it was waaaay too late for backstory in the movie.

I will be going to see it tomorrow afternoon, sucks that I hear there really isn't too much action in the film. I am aware that they filmed about 3 hours worth, and RZA said the Director's Cut will feature I believe the complete full version, just not sure how much action was cut, or how much more we can expect from the DVD/Blu-ray release. Regardless how much I like the film tomorrow, the theatrical cut, I am still looking forward to watching the Director's Cut when it gets released.

I will be getting the directors cut as well. I hear that they filmed almost a movies worth before it actually got to the movie they released. I read that RZA fleshed out the story of Golden Lion quite a bit. I can't wait to watch that version, I don't care that it's about 3 hrs long. It's supposed to go into more detail with the different clan weapons too.

Secret Executioner

So far it doesn't seem to be screened in my area and when I mentionned it to an employee at a local theater, the guy looked clueless. :sad Guess I'll have to wait until the DVD comes out.

I did see it in theaters, and there is a "copy" floating around online, but I still look forward to watching the Directors Cut when that gets released. If I had to compare 'Iron Fists' with QT's film 'Django', I enjoyed 'Django' a lot more.

U know what, I actually enjoyed MWTIF, at least a helluva lot more than I expected too considering all the ragging it was getting

It did feel incomplete, in that by comparison, it was like watching the western single film release of Red Cliff (although not on the same scale, & not of the same niche) as opposed to seeing the 2 films that got massacred to make that 'matinee' release

there was a lot of 'accepting' (read*ignoring plotlines & continuity) stuff to be done & the narration felt forced, as if to try & fill those gaps of edited story. Which did not work at all, but rather assisted in undermining any fun that could be had in watching by trying to make it seem more serious & dramatic than it was.

another major flaw I found was in having rapping in the score. Now I love me some rap music, but this was meant to be a homage, not 'kung faux' (which I loathed). The instrumentals would have been fine, but the lyrics, just unnecessary.

As with SMK & the vast majority, I would love to see a full release of this film with its 4+ hours of footage giving the story its time to unfold visually. Even a version just shy of 3hrs could pull it off nicely.

There were a lot of problems in the cinematography too, but I was willing to overlook them as a first effort from RZA. Hopefully this isnt the last effort he makes in bringing back the classic style we live for as I think with experience he could bring us something to stand up and applaud

& as for comparing to Django...well, its kinda like owning a pontiac firebird, you'll still never be Burt Reynolds jumping a river in it :cool

I recently watched it, and I am glad I borrowed it, than buying it. Felt like I wasted my evening watching it. Not into the over graphic scenes, had a ok story/plot to the movie, but it just doesn't come together with the action.

Secret Executioner

I actually have this on DVD, but I barely made it past the first few minutes when I tried to watch it. Really not that engaging.

Not a good film but I read somewhere that a lot of the actual Kung fu got left on the cutting room floor.Seeing that rza is a huge Kung fu movie fan this seems a bit strange(maybe the studio got too involved) :angry

Not a fan of MWTIF 1, but the sequel was shocking pretty good. Some decent grounded fu during the tournament fights. The plot felt like an old-school Kung Fu plot. Still not great, but it's got some good points. Available for streaming on Netflix I believe.

Archived