Name Recently Watched Or Re-Watched Movies

Leung Tsan

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

The Deadly Duo - when people talk about how much fun Ti Lung and David Chiang were together, they're not kidding. They compliment each other nicely and I enjoy Chiang playing these slick, crafty characters. I was on the fence with Chiang until I saw The Duel and now I really like him. His Little Bat made the movie for me. I also noticed that his character's initial goal was repurposed for Five Deadly Venoms (Yay!) Little Bat's dying Master requested that LB look up his senior and if the senior was doing evil things, then Little Bat should kill him. And he did! That was fun to pick up. This was an entertaining movie and really picks up once Little Bat enters.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last night I watched The Magnificent Trio. Good solid plot. Liked Wang Yu and Lo Lieh. Fight scenes not the best as the swords visibly didn't even touch the people who were "killed". It was pretty early in Shaw Brothers martial arts films though. Still a good, fun movie.

Last night I watched The Magnificent Trio. Good solid plot. Liked Wang Yu and Lo Lieh. Fight scenes not the best as the swords visibly didn't even touch the people who were "killed". It was pretty early in Shaw Brothers martial arts films though. Still a good, fun movie.

Some of those earlier SB movies are definitely more about the sets, atmosphere, actors/characters and story lines, no so much about the action. Temple of the Red Lotus (1965) is one film that I thoroughly enjoyed, but wasn't really expecting much out of it, considering on when it was made. I learned there's definitely no need for discrimination by age when it comes to a SB movie. :smile

Just watched the five superfighters (directed by lo mar).Have seen it many times but i love it.Great fights and great performances,a simple story but the whole film works for me :thumbsup

Just watched the five superfighters (directed by lo mar).Have seen it many times but i love it.Great fights and great performances,a simple story but the whole film works for me :thumbsup

A simple story and great fights, sounds like a winner to me!

oh snap.... never heard about that movie..... hehe Ill put it on my list...... will try to watch it this weekend on youtube if its there..... thanks !

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Opium and the Kung Fu Master (1984) I liked it, but it felt like it was trying to be several movies at once, I suppose that is on purpose though. Watching Ti Lung in his addiction and post addiction moments were the standouts, along with the awesome fights against Chen Kuan Tai.

Vengeance (1970) Wow, wow, WOW. Superb variant on the tried and true, you killed my --- I will get revenge storyline, beautifully acted, edited, shot etc. Many iconic moments therein. Right now, this is my favorite performance by David Chiang. The mirroring of the death of Ti Lung's character between the Peking Opera acting and his actual demise - was so well done. And I loved the cinematography, shades of Mario Bava and at times quasi-psychedelic. And maybe it was just me but seeing Chiang in his slick white suit covered in blood made me think of the stark white and blood red visuals from Dario Argento's Tenebrae. A great movie all the way around and up there in my favorite Chang Cheh releases.

legendarycurry

Saw Millionaire's Express again a couple days ago. Still among my favorites. I enjoy it more each time with all the awesome cameos and excellent action.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Lion vs. Lion :sad Lo Meng is a wonderful comedic, charming actor, but this was just misuse of his considerable martial and acting skill. I found myself struggling to keep interested when he was not on screen.

Secret Executioner

Thunder Score (HK, late 1980s)

A good ol' cut-and-splice Filmark movie (directed by a guy called Ivan Newman and produced by Tomas Tang) inserting scenes with White people in some Asian movie. And it's yet another Thai action film with Sorapong Chatree (playing a cop of course). Here, Chatree has to deal with gangsters causing trouble in some village, while a Black Ninja who's their ally will make a (very loose) link with the other part. :dull

While a great guy on here got his name from this film, this one is really a rip-off. The Ninja scenes are short and few and far between with nothing extraordinary going on (except for lousy acting), and the Thai film is very typical with an horrendous dub. Some action gets decent with the shootouts in the end though.

But the MAJOR thing that caught my attention with this film is the soundtrack. Amongst the few different themes used here, you find a bunch of Ennio Morricone themes lifted from the classic Spaghetti Western Once Upon A Time In The West !!

Revisited Kung Fu Killer (Jungle), was as good as the first time, the lady friend really liked it to.

Revisited Kung Fu Killer (Jungle), was as good as the first time, the lady friend really liked it to.

Oh man, I keep forgetting that I NEED to see this. Thanks for the reminder. Good to hear that your lady friend enjoyed the film as well. That says a lot about the film, especially if she's not an Asian cinema fan to begin with. Is she?

Less of a martial arts film, but I gotta share this. I recently read a bad review of Chang Cheh's Naval Commandos. It said that this was the worst movie he ever made. I needed to see that for myself. I really liked this movie. It's got Cheh's sense of brotherhood all over it. Don't believe everything you read. If this is Cheh at his worst, than he was better than most.

I haven't heard much about Naval Commandos either way to be honest. You should review it here!

She is "kind of" an Asian cinema fan. I guess the fact that she is willing to even give foreign movie's a shot makes her one compared to most people. In my mind, anyone should appreciate movies like "I Saw The Devil".

Now martial arts movies I understand are a little more of a niche interest.

She likes anime more than anything, but will enjoy some fu with me from time to time.

Just watched legendary weapons of china(lau kar Leung).Quality film great fight scenes but I hate the fu sheng character.I think it was a waste of his talents(martial arts wise anyway).Still worth checking out though. :thumbsup

I really need to give Legendary Weapons another shot. I watched about half an hour of it and got bored a few months back... But there are many movies in our genre that have a boring first 30 minutes than become great!

I rewatched an a favorite of mine, Rebellious Reign. I was more forgiving of the overly fast pace at which the story moves along at, I guess because I saw it coming this time.. It's just a shame, because I feel like this could be even better if it had an extra half an hour at least to let things build some more. The story is still fantastic and powerful though. The fights I found a little less dazzling than before, but they're still great, with Tommy Lee and Alan Chui looking fantastic throughout, and Kwan Yeong Moon's best performance... KYM is so great in this.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I am in the minority of loving the Fu Sheng character in Legendary Weapons of China, he and Lau Kar Wing had a fun chemistry in conveying pressure point voodoo kung fu, and Fu 's jerk character asked for it. This was one of those times that Fu Sheng's extreme comedy clicked for me.

The film was a strange mix of weird, funny and dead serious, but I enjoyed the movie over all. I liked all of the Laus in this. The Magic clans were a lot of fun (and unintentionally funny to me - that opening sequence :rofl ), but, my favorite Spiritual Boxers were the opening sequence trio from Master Lau's Spiritual Boxer 1975. I want a full movie with those guys. :tongue out

>>

I revisited Heaven and Hell today. I liked Chiang Sheng as a prince of Heaven, he rocked that costume quite well. Finally spotted Dick Wei as a lesser prince of Heaven as well.

HandH is an off-beat and interesting movie. Definitely has counterculture psychedelic written all over it, another huge plus. Interesting notes about Karma and reincarnation too, but I can see why Shaw Brothers were like WTH?!?

I just revisited My Young Auntie recently. Definitely one of my favorite Shaw Brothers movies. I really like how the characters interacted in this one, Hsiao Hou and Kara Hui in particular. I like how it shows the period of time in which Western culture was influencing Hong Kong. It's also interesting to see Kara Hui trying to adapt to the culture. Of course, there's also amazing fight scenes. Awesome movie! Mostly kid-friendly, minus two scenes.

I am in the minority of loving the Fu Sheng character in Legendary Weapons of China, he and Lau Kar Wing had a fun chemistry in conveying pressure point voodoo kung fu, and Fu 's jerk character asked for it. This was one of those times that Fu Sheng's extreme comedy clicked for me.

Honestly, I've never seen Legendary Weapons, but I will see it because Fu Sheng is in it. :tongueout

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Shaolin Handlock (1978) Solid cast, some fun fights and it was nice to Chen Wei-Man in a role that is ultimately good. Not the best David Chiang film I've seen, but that's okay. It was fun.

Am presently making my way through The New One Armed Swordsman (1971) Digging it thus far.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Soul of the Sword (1978) I liked this for Ti and Ku Feng's characters (though I pegged who Ku was right off the bat.)

Ti's Nameless reminded me of Franco Nero's Django in what he realized too late. I won't spoil it if you haven't seen the movie, but I enjoyed it. This film also alerted me to some early fighting ideas Tang Chia would employ a few years later in Shaolin Prince's choroegraphy too.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

The Enchantress (1983) the exact kind of WTH wuxia I like; ghostly vampire Japanese princesses, Anthony Lau in a great heroic (kind of) role, Lo Lieh's strip to become invisible exorcism trick and hilarious wire work. Along with nice sets costumes. It's been great for my last two commutes, good humor (intentional and otherwise), lots of fun. I wish Celestial would hurry up with releasing The Weird Man on iTunes as I have a feeling that would make a really insane double feature.

DragonClaws
Back in action

I love Back In Action, its a great B-movie and Blanks has some really good chemistry with Roddy Piper too.

I would kill to see this and Tough & Deadly again, too. :punch

Maybe next time I come to Birmingham if you have a region free dvd player. Been staying in Chelsea some. Might move to Hoover

Archived