Favourite floor of THE GAME OF DEATH Pagoda?

Omni Dragon

Favourite floor of THE GAME OF DEATH Pagoda?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Favourite floor of THE GAME OF DEATH Pagoda?

• Dan Inosanto(Eskrima)
    • Chi Hon-Joi(Hapkido)
    • Kareem Abdul Jabbar(Unknown)

Omni Dragon

pagoda.jpg

Dan Inosanto(Eskrima)

dan.jpg

Chi Hon-Joi(Hapkido)

Ji.jpg

Kareem Abdul Jabbar(Unknown)

Kareem.jpg

• Like 3

shaolin swords

even tho i have not seen this movie in a really long time i would have to say dan inosanto eskrima floor would have to be my fav floor

dont they also fight each other with nunchuks if im not mistaken

• Like 3

My favourite floor was the ones we never got to see,sometimes your imagination is better than the what we actually see.😀

• Like 4

Can't pick. Each floor has it's own distinct merits. From a visual perspective they' re all equally beautiful, in terms of set and costume design. 

In terms of combat choreography:

Dan's for precision and, to this day, the unprecedented nunchuck duel.

Ji's for some beautifully executed grappling by Bruce.

Kareem's for atmosphere, and a tough, mostly believable looking battle.

Edited by Alan C
  • Like 6

On 4/19/2020 at 2:43 PM, sym8 said:

My favourite floor was the ones we never got to see,sometimes your imagination is better than the what we actually see.😀

Do you have any thoughts on how the other two Hall's/Level's would have turned out?.

• Like 3

The ground floor which may have been outside of the pagoda against the group of karate men would probably have looked like what we get in the dojo of FOF where we get him letting loose with multiple kicks,first floor against a boot master(Hwang Ink Sik)not so sure because when you look at Hwang in WOTD his kicks for the camera were not that great so I think that may have been a bit of a let down,but the next floor against the Praying Mantis stylist could have been close quarters wing chun style but wether it would have turned out memorable  we will never,and how good was Taky with film choreography anyway.He may have been trained by Bruce but could he perform for the camera.But like I said our imagination maybe better than what we actually get.🙏

• Like 4

7 hours ago, sym8 said:

.But like I said our imagination maybe better than what we actually get.🙏

Agreed, unless more material/notes from the making of the movie get released. We can only take an educated guess at how it would have all looked, in the finished print of the film.

I see that knowone has voted for the Chi Hon-Joi fight, which I feel is underatted. He had more legit Martial Arts credentials than co-star James Tien, but he looks more rigid in front of the camera. That said, Tien had a lot more experience in terms of making movies.

7 hours ago, sym8 said:

I think that may have been a bit of a let down,but the next floor against the Praying Mantis stylist could have been close quarters wing chun style but wether it would have turned out memorable  we will never,and how good was Taky with film choreography anyway.He may have been trained by Bruce but could he perform for the camera.

Wasn't Angela Mao also been considered for the Guardian of the second floor?. Guess Bruce Lee would have had a plan B, just incase Taky Kimura struggled with screen fighting?.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Wasn't Angela Mao also been considered for the Guardian of the second floor?. Guess Bruce Lee would have had a plan B, just incase Taky Kimura struggled with screen fighting?.

Now that would have been something,don’t recall Angela Mao playing to many villains.She may have been better than Taky,she was a bonafide martial artist and could do it for the camera as well👍

• Like 4

I always wondered where Bruce got the bamboo and nunchucks from because let’s face it there’s no pockets on his suit and if he got them off a beaten foes from the previous floors what are the chances the nunchucks are the same colour as his yellow and black suit.🤔I do think they dealt with it quite well in the 78 GOD

Edited by sym8
  • Like 4

Hulk Hogan claims he filmed a floor with Lee then later Metallica called him and asked him to join but the Hulkster was busy , brother. True story , jack.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 11/1/2020 at 9:45 AM, sym8 said:

I always wondered where Bruce got the bamboo and nunchucks from because let’s face it there’s no pockets on his suit and if he got them off a beaten foes from the previous floors what are the chances the nunchucks are the same colour as his yellow and black suit.🤔I do think they dealt with it quite well in the 78 GOD

Maybe he picked up the bamboo during one of the earlier fight scenes?. The nunchaku match up with his suit, and he has them in a carry case, so I assume he arrived on the island with them?.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 4

On 11/2/2020 at 5:07 AM, DragonClaws said:

Maybe he picked up the bamboo during one of the earlier fight scenes?. The nunchaku match up with his suit, and he has them in a carry case, so I assum he arrived on the island with them?.

I'd wager he must have as it's too coincidental the nunchacku is the same colour.

In the Game if Death retrospective,  Alan Canvan states that the  jumpsuit colours along with the matching sneakers  and nunchaku are tied to his fighting moniker The Yellow Faced Tiger.

• Like 3

On 11/29/2020 at 2:30 PM, CliveReston said:

In the Game if Death retrospective,  Alan Canvan states that the  jumpsuit colours along with the matching sneakers  and nunchaku are tied to his fighting moniker The Yellow Faced Tiger.

Hi @cliffmac2010, Alan Canvan (@Alan C) has extensive knowledge about Game of Death, he knows his stuff.

Whats your pogoda hall/floor?, and why?.

• Like 1

I think weapons fights usually have an edge (no pun) over unarmed combat but maybe that's a UK bias that applies very significantly to this particular fight scene. This scene and any others involving unchaku were banned in the UK, we were robbed of these pieces of art for so many years. The first time I got to see this I was already aged about ten, I found the HKL Platinum DVD of Game Of Death and it blew my damn mind. Not long after that a friend brought me a pair from USA for my birthday and I've been swinging them ever since :P

• Like 3

On 12/10/2020 at 5:25 AM, Dredderick_Tatum said:

The first time I got to see this I was already aged about ten, I found the HKL Platinum DVD of Game Of Death and it blew my damn mind.

I caught Game of Death(1978) shortly after Bruce Lee: The Legend(1984). Even the cut version of Legend, featured the opening kail/bamboo portion of the fight scene featuring Dan Inosanto. Before I knew about the censors cuts, I was baffled as to why Inosanto's character just vanishes from the 1978 film.

• Like 2

On 12/10/2020 at 6:44 AM, DragonClaws said:

Hi @cliffmac2010, Alan Canvan (@Alan C) has extensive knowledge about Game of Death, he knows his stuff.

Whats your pogoda hall/floor?, and why?.

I'd have to say the Kareem fight, though I love the others as well. The Kareem fight has  tension and ambience that is really unique. The  fight choreography is top notch.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CliveReston said:

I'd have to say the Kareem fight, though I love the others as well. The Kareem fight has  tension and ambience that is really unique. The  fight choreography is top notch.

It works really well with the John Barry score too, there another version featured in The Best of Martial Arts(1990). That uses a different score, but I'm not sure which movie the music is lifted from?.

• Like 1