Stranger From Shaolin (1977)

SMK

StrangerfromShaolin+1977-1-b.jpg
I am currently watching this film for the first time, I am not quite finished with it, but from what I've seen so far, I am really digging it! It's widescreen, English dubbed with those often heard, familiar voices (as heard in SB movies), and takes place at the Shaolin Temple. If you ask me, all these are key ingredients to a decent to great film. As I haven't finished it yet, I will reserve my final judgement of the film until I have completed viewing it. This movie also features an often used magical film technique, a woman, make up and all, passing off as a man! This movie themed gender bending, was brought up in a article written here on Shaolin Chamber 36 by Iron Fisted Monk back in June 2009, if you haven't read his article, check it out here.

I will edit this post once I have finished with the movie, and provide my generic rating of the film and final thoughts. Have any of you seen this film? If so, what did you think?

Check out the VERY COOL opening fight sequence of the film http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ7fYXNKPW4.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MaskedAvenger

I might have to check this one out, sounds and looks good already from your review and from the opening sequence (plus the white-haired villain on the cover). Hopefully after you finish watching it your review will be positive.

I just watched this movie and have a question. Where does the male disciple go during the end fight? After the head bad guy beats the heroes back several times one on one, he seemingly just disappears until after the fight is over.

22 hours ago, HyperDrive said:

I just watched this movie and have a question. Where does the male disciple go during the end fight? After the head bad guy beats the heroes back several times one on one, he seemingly just disappears until after the fight is over.

Ha, seems that's a constant occurrence in kungfu movies, especially old school ones. The villain will be fighting 2 or more heroes at the same time, land a minor blow to one of them and all of a sudden you don't see them for 10 to 20 seconds or longer and sometimes not till the end of the fight. Even worse is when you can still see them on screen while their buddy/buddies are fighting the villain on screen and they just stand there and stare instead of attacking while the villain's attention is distracted. Of course it wouldn't be as exciting if the heroes just overtook the advisory by rushing and overwhelming him so that's where the suspension of disbelief comes in.....

On 11/4/2019 at 2:08 PM, ukrevrend said:

Great movie! First saw this via VHS back in day, one I would recommend to a lot of my friends!

Bless

The first thing that spring to my mind when I think of this movie, are the Wing Chun training scenes in the temple well.

On 6/12/2012 at 4:13 AM, SMK said:
StrangerfromShaolin+1977-1-b.jpg

I am currently watching this film for the first time, I am not quite finished with it, but from what I've seen so far, I am really digging it! It's widescreen, English dubbed with those often heard, familiar voices (as heard in SB movies), and takes place at the Shaolin Temple. If you ask me, all these are key ingredients to a decent to great film. As I haven't finished it yet, I will reserve my final judgement of the film until I have completed viewing it. This movie also features an often used magical film technique, a woman, make up and all, passing off as a man! This movie themed gender bending, was brought up in a article written here on Shaolin Chamber 36 by Iron Fisted Monk back in June 2009, if you haven't read his article, check it out here.

I will edit this post once I have finished with the movie, and provide my generic rating of the film and final thoughts. Have any of you seen this film? If so, what did you think?

Check out the VERY COOL opening fight sequence of the film http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ7fYXNKPW4.

an old favorite of mine. never seen it in scope that was be awesome

Archived