Favourite type of Kung Fu Characters?

Omni Dragon

Omni Dragon

I was just wondering what are people favourite type of Kung Fu Character?

Do you like the White Haired Masters like Hwang Jang Lee as the Sliver Fox SECRET RIVALS, Lo Lieh as Pai Mei EXECUTIONERS FROM SHAOLIN ect or maybe the good of master like Simon Yuen in DRUNKEN MASTER maybe Wong Fei Hung to.(White Haired Masters could be my favourite they are my favourite type of villain at least)

Young arrogance, almost looking for a fight & some time a lot to learn for a more comic effect the Fang Shih Yu type of character a lot of Fu Sheng films, Jackie Chan ect.(I like these character as they can the film feel a bit more light hearted)

Also the more serious Hung Sze Kuan like character.

I myself also quite like Twin fighters like Yuen Kwai & Yuen Biao in THE INVINCIBLE ARMOUR or Silver & Gold Tiger from KUNG FU OF 8 DRUNKARDS.(I like it when these character are almost like minor images also quite different some as it not a 1v1)

Massive villains eg Kareem Abdul Jabbar or Bolo(challenging fight for the hero)

Psychotic villains eg Lo Lieh in HUMAN LANTERNS, Sunny Yuen DREADNAUGHT(I think it disturbed mind maybe sick minded character or just crazy fighting everyone for almost no reason)

Villains you can understand why they may do something maybe jealousy or something.

Also maybe Shaolin, Wu-Tang, Ninja, Bruce Lee clone ect.

Any of others?

& reason why you like them?

Also maybe examples?

You can add characters from other types of films if you like it just that I'm almost solely KF when it comes to films.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RyanWheeler

I may be jumping the gun and forgetting other characters I enjoy, but the first one that comes to mind is Damian Lau's (I hope that's the correct name of the actor) character, Tsing Yi, in "Last Hurrah for Chivalry". I'm not sure exactly why I like him so much. I suppose it could be because he's jaded, yet carefree. A mellow drunkard, and fantastic swordsman. A loner and wanderer. Anyway, I'm rambling.

My two cents!

shaolin swords

i think my fav villian has to be lo lieh as pai mei

and my fav good guy has to be the roles gordon liu plays in shaolin and wu tang 8 diagram pole fighter shaolin challeng ninja so forth and so on

Omni Dragon

and my fav good guy has to be the roles gordon liu plays in shaolin and wu tang 8 diagram pole fighter shaolin challeng ninja so forth and so on

White Haired Masters & Shaolin monks then?

shaolin swords

yes i guess i would say white haired masters & shaolin monks

uote="jrcma"]

White Haired Masters & Shaolin monks then?

Omni Dragon

That is good taste.

I think I'd quite like it if every shape had white haired masters not sure I'd want the hero to be a shaolin monk all the time but it would be too bad. though at the moment I really into the white haired masters its funny I'm watch films at the moment more for the villains lol :devil

I should watch this soon on the based of my post.

user8162_pic2792_1278678965.jpg

(NINJA HUNTER aka WU TANG VS NINJA)

yes i guess i would say white haired masters & shaolin monks

Omni Dragon

I actually just watch NINJA HUNTER that image might actually be FIVE FIGHTERS FROM SHAOLIN.

Omni Dragon

Anyone else like the young foolish/buffoon characters like Li Yi Min in 7 GRANDMASTERS & the like. I quite like these kind of characters for me it makes the film feel more light hearted though I mostly them in dubs.

Omni Dragon

Here's a sort of top 5 of my favourite type of Kung Fu Characters

1White Haired Master(foxes) Strengths are they have great fighting ability to the point that they are nearly invincible. Down side they can look a bit odd, weird, silly. Some are just about fight though others are more ambitious & calculating(sinister planning) I think a worthy villain should be a challenge for the hero & the White Hairs certainly are. (examples Hwang Jang Lee as the Sliver Fox SECRET RIVALS, Lo Lieh as Pai Mei EXECUTIONERS FROM SHAOLIN)

2The Serious typical kind of hero they have good ability & honourable nature down side is there quite typical normal kind of hero.(examples Chen Kuan Tai as Hung Sze Kuan HEROES TWO I think the Hung Sze Kuan is a good example because of the he probably the most common character that fits the description)

3Old Master(good) just like number 2 but wiser but less typical & some time can but more comic like which can lead to a downside of them being very wacky.(examples the DRUNKEN MASTER & Wong Fei Hung)

4Young foolish/buffoon characters this can have a really bad fighting ability be usually learns to become great like give the film a more light heart feel can get too silly. I personally like them better dubbed. Often clumsy & accidentally getting into fights.(examples Li Yi Min in 7 GRANDMASTERS, Ting Wa Chung in DEATH DUEL OF MANTIS)

5Crazy mad fighter killing/fighting spree great fighting ability but narrow-minded all they do is fight.(Sunny Yuen DREADNAUGHT, Kwan Fung THE FIVE SUPERFIGHTERS)

my opinion may change.

Michael L.

I like the stoic and unapologetic bad-asses like Jet Li in New Legend of Shaolin and the drunken (not necessarily drunken style) bad-asses like Drunk Cat in Come Drink With Me or Damian Lau in Last Hurrah For Chivalry.

shaolin swords

damian lau in last hurrah for chivalry played the drunken role to perfection also a very very good sworplay flick :clappinghands

I like the stoic and unapologetic bad-asses like Jet Li in New Legend of Shaolin and the drunken (not necessarily drunken style) bad-asses like Drunk Cat in Come Drink With Me or Damian Lau in Last Hurrah For Chivalry.

Michael L.

I am pretty sure Last Hurrah did rather poorly on its release; it is too bad because it is a personal favorite and I should have liked to see more of that style!

Morgoth Bauglir

Out of all the actors that regularly appeared in martial arts movies, I think Damian Lau may have been the best actor.

My favorite type of characters are those cocky assholes like Jaguar Wong and Black Dynamite. I also like villains that take evil to the next level like Norman Chu in The Sword and Ku Feng in Avenging Eagle.

damian lau in last hurrah for chivalry played the drunken role to perfection also a very very good sworplay flick :clappinghands

I know Adam Cheng is the king of Swordplay films, but I LOVED 'Last Hurrah For Chivalry'. Although I am dying to see 'Swordsman Adventure' with Adam Cheng!

Archived