What are your favorite 90's era kung fu films?

RyanWheeler

heya folks, 1st post...but still...

90's was pretty full throttle, although when I go back to watch now most have too much wirework...which I loved as a teenager, but now, not so much. Many do not tho, mainly the modern crimefighting/gangster type flick with much kicking or machete action :)

Some that I'll pick off my shelf are (in no particular order, & Im having to check each for '90s status!)

Burning Paradise (in Hell) AKA Destruction of the Red Lotus Temple AKA Rape of the Red Temple

New Dragon Gate Inn

The Bare-Footed Kid

Kickboxer (no, not the JCVD one!)

The Sword Stained with Royal Blood

Iron Monkey

Fist Of Legend

New Legend Of Shaolin AKA Legend of the Red Dragon

OUATIC 2

My Father Is a Hero

A Kid From Tibet

Blat Of Fury

Police Story 3 AKA Supercop

Crystal Hunt

Tiger Cage 2

The Black Sheep Affair

Dragon Versus Phoenix

Tiger Claws

China O'Brien

Angel Force

Avenging Angels

Angel Terminators 2

Drive

could probably narrow it down, or just as easily keep going!

dont think there would be any new ones for y'all, but maybe some reconsiderations...

Revenge Goat, welcome to the forum! That is a very nice list you got there. I have not seen all of the films on your list quite yet, but I believe I own most of them. :smile 90's films is what really got me into the genre of Kung Fu films, then I transitioned into the earlier 70's and 80's films for the most part, and this is when the passion for the genre really took off.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
90's films is what really got me into the genre of Kung Fu films, then I transitioned into the earlier 70's and 80's films for the most part, and this is when the passion for the genre really took off.

much the same here, though my dad had me watching Bruce Lee, some Jackie Chan & some Bruceploitation (ie. Bruce Li, Bruce Leung, etc) from a younger age. He was a karate man himself & Chuck Norris was always high on the watch list. Its always been my belief that Chuck led to Richard Norton (Aussie Karate legend, Chucks longtime sparring partner & all around HK movie villain) which led to Jackie Chan, but my dad doesnt recall the chain which led to awesomeness :rockon

I wanted to mention that King Hu's Dragon Gate Inn is a wonderful movie. If you enjoy HK or Chinese movies that feature restaurant/inn scenes, Dragon Gate Inn is a great place to start.

A few others equal to or better (also by King Hu) would be....

The Fate of Lee Khan

Come Drink With Me

(though none of these are from the 1990s)

well well that's my turn.... movies that I really loved in no particular order :

- once upon in china 2 (white lotus cult boss was great, altogether with Donnie Yen)

- iron monkey (the kid playing wong fei hong was a girl.... and Donnie at his best)

- tai-chi master (one of the first movies I saw with Jet Li altogether with Kung fu cult master)

- heroes amongst heroes (donnie playing beggar so, there is wong fei hong... maybe a bit boring at times but nice movie overall that I liked)

- new legend of shaolin (jet li and his spear, the kid, and the villain.... wow)

- fist of legend (just a fantastic movie, great fight scenes)

- blade of fury (black pavilion.... nuff said)

- blade (loved the atmosphere in that movie... and Hung Yan Yan as the villain is really creepy)

- swordsman trilogy

- close encounter of the spooky king (gess the year is 1990, but c'mon Sammo did great 10 years after the first one that created the genre.... not even talking about the final)

- scorpion king (Liu Chia Liang !!!)

- fong sai yuk (both films with a slightly preference over the second one for its final when he doesnot want to see the blood of his comrades, he goes masked eyes with sabres)

- claws of steel (at least one wong fei hong movie with Jet li not produced by Tsui Hark and with a parodic tone overall, Gordon Liu as the head of the sect with a great drunken final and a crazy professional laugher villain)

- wing chun (not only for Michelle Yeoh and Donnie but the comedy in there is unforgettable)

- drunken master 2 (as previously said, a Jackie masterpiece, with Liu Chia Liang)

- tai chi 2 (nice ideas with Jacky Wu and his ponytail technique...)

tried to shorten the list but well.... I just can't..... now I am also fond of Stephen Chow movies and comedies in general..... King of Comedy, God of cookery, Chinese Odissey and many more already mentionned.... with a special mention on Chinese odissey when the balls of Stephen Chow are burning and they try to turn the fire down silently by stomping on his balls.... that was madness

as a fan of wong fei hong, I think nobody mentionned the parodic "Once Upon a Time a Hero in China"... there is a part in the movie where Wong Fei Hong meets his enemy in a public toilet and they enter a peeing battle.... must see for any fan.... (I think the day I saw that scene I cried by laughing so much.... maybe I was a bit high too but nevertheless you got the message)...

sorry for the long post, got overhelmed with all these great souvenirs and I am sure I forget some unforgettable movies.....

just went back home and having a look at my movies I completely forgot about Legend of the Liquid Sword.... this movie is insane, and there's one of the best "without stepping on the ground" fights ever..... Wong Jing was definately on acid while doing this movie.....

Liquid Sword is one of those I´ve never seen yet. I have to check it out. By the way - welcome to the forum Leung Tsan :-)

hehe thanks for the welcome,

yep I highly recommend that movie.... guys were surely under acid but they realised one hell of an overspeeded and original movie.... can't deny the extravagant ideas they got in there.... that's what I call entertainment hehe

thankyouforfu

An old thread, but adding my opinion I'd say:

- The Sword Stained With Royal Blood

- Legend of Drunken Master

- Once Upon a Time in China 1 & 2

- Fist of Legend

- Iron Monkey

- Who Am I?

Among some others I can't remember off the top of my head...

The Taiji Pirate

I really love Jet Li's work in the 90's IMO some of the best Martial arts movies ever made: Once Upon a Time in China I &II, Tai Chi Master, The Legend, Fist of Legend, The Legend of the Swordsman, The Enforcer, and The Defender are all great.

There there are all of Jackie's amazing works like: Rumble in the Bronx, Who am I?, Legend of the Drunken Master, Mr. Nice Guy, First Strike, Operation Condor and I am sure there are others that are slipping my mind.

Then there are the 90's karate movies like: The Perfect Weapon, Best of the Best, Bloodsport, Kickboxer, Hard to Kill, Only the Strong, and Showdown in Little Tokyo just to name a few.

In short. The late 80's and 90's are a treasure trove of great films and great cheeze. both of which are good

Secret Executioner

I have yet to find a 1990s MA/action film I enjoy...

OUATIC I ? Meh, didn't enjoy it that much (except for the opening song - which is really cool - and some of the action). Didn't check out the sequels.

First Strike ? Meh, but I consider revisiting it as part of a Police Story marathon (seems like it's Police Story IV actually - according to alternate titles that is, though IIRC it has some elements that link it to the Police Story franchise).

I have several others I still have to check out like Mr. Nice Guy, Twin Dragons, Fist Of Legend and Drunken Master II, as well as some non-Fu film like Double Impact and a couple of films from the Kickboxer series, but so far, I'm not too pleased with the output from the 1990s. The 2000s and 2010s have had better material, but I must admit I'm MUCH more into the old-school (1970s/1980s to be precise) stuff (Shaw Bros productions, low-budget independent films, the Bruce Lee films, the Jackie Chan films... I take pretty much anything from this era and usually end up having a blast).

The Taiji Pirate
I have yet to find a 1990s MA/action film I enjoy...

OUATIC I ? Meh, didn't enjoy it that much (except for the opening song - which is really cool - and some of the action). Didn't check out the sequels.

First Strike ? Meh, but I consider revisiting it as part of a Police Story marathon (seems like it's Police Story IV actually - according to alternate titles that is, though IIRC it has some elements that link it to the Police Story franchise).

I have several others I still have to check out like Mr. Nice Guy, Twin Dragons, Fist Of Legend and Drunken Master II, as well as some non-Fu film like Double Impact and a couple of films from the Kickboxer series, but so far, I'm not too pleased with the output from the 1990s. The 2000s and 2010s have had better material, but I must admit I'm MUCH more into the old-school (1970s/1980s to be precise) stuff (Shaw Bros productions, low-budget independent films, the Bruce Lee films, the Jackie Chan films... I take pretty much anything from this era and usually end up having a blast).

very interesting my friend :happy

Secret Executioner

I take back what I said earlier: Hero Of Swallow (a 1996 HK film starring Yuen Biao) is awesome. :cool

legendarycurry
I take back what I said earlier: Hero Of Swallow (a 1996 HK film starring Yuen Biao) is awesome. :cool

I feel like "Hero Of Swallow" is a bit of an underrated film that is only held back by some of it's technichal flaws IMHO (audio synch issues, too dark photography, some poor editing) and 2First strike " is indeed part 4 in the "Police Story" series.

Here are some of the 90's films I enjoy

"Deadend Of Beseigers": A Japan VS China style story with some really creative stuff in it starring Yu Ruang Guang and Cynthia Khan.

"Skinny Tiger Fatty Dragon": another Bruce Lee tribute with Sammo co-starring Lau kar Wing, action is quality stuff.

Jet Li's "Fong sai Yuk", "Tai Chi Master" and "Fist of Legend". I personally really enjoy the OUATIC films too.

For Jackie Chan stuff from the 90's I would say "Police Story 3: Supercop", "Drunken Master 2" and "Operation Condor" are his top three of the 90's. Other JC films i enjoy from the 90's are "Thunderbolt" and "Mr Nice Guy"

"Operation Scorpio" AKA "Scorpion King" with Lau kar Leung, Chin Kar Lok and super kicker Kim Won Jin.

"Death Games" (1997) action-packed all the way through, quality stuff, starring Fan Siu Wong, Leung Kar Yan, Billy Chow, Ngai Sing and more!

"Stoneage Warriors" (1991) stanley Tong directed film with amazing stunt-work and great fights. With Elaine Lui and Fan Siu Wong

"The Heroic Trio"(1993) love this superhero/wire-fu film with Michelle Yeoh, Anita Mui and Maggie Cheung.

for more of the swordplay wuxia style of films: "Sword Stained with Royal Blood" starring Yuen Biao, "Swordsman 1 & 2" and "Moon Warriors" I think are excellent. "Ashes Of Time" maybe not a typical swordplay/wuxia film , is still a film i love and it deserves to be mentioned.

These are a few examples, Overall i think the 90's was a great decade for action cinema, though not nearly as great as the amazing 80's.

Secret Executioner

Been considering checking out Mr. Nice Guy and Heroic Trio (crazy trailer here) for some time now... Guess I will soon then. I also have Jet Li's Fist Of Legend and Tai Chi Master, will see for these two. :nodding

legendarycurry
Been considering checking out Mr. Nice Guy and Heroic Trio (crazy trailer here) for some time now... Guess I will soon then. I also have Jet Li's Fist Of Legend and Tai Chi Master, will see for these two. :nodding

I do recommend them, Heroic Trio also has a sequel called "Executioners" worth checking out. 90's was the decade of the wire-fu wuxia craze and the decade of the great Jet Li films I'd say.

have you seen any of the "Police Story" or "Armour Of God Films"?

Secret Executioner

I have most of the Police Story films (minus Supercop and PS2013) and two of the AOG films (the first one and CZ12). Haven't checked them out though, except for First Strike which I need to revisit but didn't like that much.

I'd politely disagree on Jet Li's movies, though I haven't seen a lot of them (a handful at best). I have some of his 2000s output (Fearless, Dragon Gate, the film he made with Jackie Chan), Fist Of Legend (which looks great I must say), Tai Chi Master and Martial Arts Of Shaolin to check out. I must say I'm not a big fan of his, though I really liked Hero. Gotta say that I'm more a fan of Jackie Chan and Donnie Yen than of Jet Li as far as big HK names go.

legendarycurry
I have most of the Police Story films (minus Supercop and PS2013) and two of the AOG films (the first one and CZ12). Haven't checked them out though, except for First Strike which I need to revisit but didn't like that much.

I'd politely disagree on Jet Li's movies, though I haven't seen a lot of them (a handful at best). I have some of his 2000s output (Fearless, Dragon Gate, the film he made with Jackie Chan), Fist Of Legend (which looks great I must say), Tai Chi Master and Martial Arts Of Shaolin to check out. I must say I'm not a big fan of his, though I really liked Hero. Gotta say that I'm more a fan of Jackie Chan and Donnie Yen than of Jet Li as far as big HK names go.

I def reommend the first and third police story films especially. and the two first Armour of God films are classics.

I'd say for Jet Li his best work happened during the 90's . I do think you will like Fist Of legend and I hope you will ike Tai Chi Master too which I enjoy very much.Also check out OUATIC 2, Jet Li VS Donnie Yen, good stuff :thumbsup ,some like the sequel more than the first one. Perhaps seeing some of these older Jet Li films will make you more of a fan? :smile

Secret Executioner

Really didn't like the first OUATIC, maybe checking out some of his other material could be good though.

And thanks for the recommendations. :thumbsup

ShaOW!linDude

Well, this will be extensive:

Jet Li : Black Mask, Fist Of Legend, Bodyguard From Beijing/The Defender, Hitman/ Contract Killer.

Donnie Yen : Tiger Cage 2, Iron Monkey, Hero Among Heroes.

Sammo Hung : Skinny Tiger Fatty Dragon, Pantyhose Hero, Killers Vs Slickers.

Yuen Biao : License To Steal, Tough Beauty & The Sloppy Slop, Hero of Swallow.

Jackie Chan : Twin Dragons, City Hunter, Legend of the Drunken Master, Who Am I?

Lorenzo Lamas : Night of the Warrior, Bounty Tracker.

Jean-Claude Van Damme : Universal Soldier, Hard Target, The Quest, Time Cop, Knock Off.

Gary Daniels : Bloodmoon, Cold Harvest.

Steven Seagal : Marked For Death, The Glimmer Man.

Brandon Lee : Showdown in Little Tokyo, Rapid Fire, The Crow (well, he does a little in there).

You may disqualify any you wish if you consider them not to necessarily be kung fu flicks. Maybe this is more of a 90's MA list. :coveredlaugh

I actually always loved the 90's super excited wuxiapians movies .... here are some of my favorite movies from the 90's (in no particular order) :

Iron Monkey

Wing Chun

Tai Chi Master

Tai Chi 2 (with Jacky Wu... first movie I saw with him)

Handsome Siblings (so underrated)

The Sword of Many Loves (even more underrated)

New Legend of Shaolin

Fong Sai Yuk 1&2

Once Upon a Time in China 1,2,3,4,5

Legend of the Liquid Sword (total blast.... this one was so nervous and sped up but still, I loved it)

Deadly Melody

Butterfly & Sword

Fist of Legend

Evil Cult

Swordsman trilogy

The Blade !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! probably one of my favorites Tsui Hark movies.....

It sounds like Liquid Sword may be similar to Sword Stained with Royal Blood 93' from the way you described it.. Which is a good thing to me, I love SSWRB 93'! I have had the xenon version of Liquid Sword on my shelf for a couple of years... Xenon has put out some pretty atrocious prints even by my low standard which is the main reason I have held out.. May have to check it out now. Been exploring this era of fu flicks more lately anyway.

Anyway, a few favorites of mine (I haven't seen a whole lot):

SSWRB 93'

Iron Monkey

Death Games

I was sadly a little underwhelmed the first time I saw OUATIC 1 and 2... I need to revisit them. It wasn't that I thought they were bad, but they didn't live up to the hype to me.

legendarycurry

Yeah! SSWRB 93 is one of my favorites in the wire-fu wuxia genre. Very creative and crazy choreography and a great cast. And Death games is just one of those gems that people need to find a copy of anyway they can.

I was very fortunate to have received a copy of Death Games as a gift from a friend.. Didn't know what to expect, but it definitely blew my mind.. Filled with great fights from front to back!

Yeah, SSWRB is basically as perfect as complete chaos can get, haha!

Archived