What are your favorite 90's era kung fu films?

RyanWheeler

RyanWheeler

Like the title says!

I watched "Once Upon a Time in China" yesterday, and I thought it was really well done. I'm usually more or less disenchanted with the action of most 90's era kung fu. Too much wire work and poorly put together fight scenes.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forum :)

the Once Upon a Times are DEF great choices for top 90's fu....SOOOOOO many choices (though I agree the excess wisre work did detract at times).

One film that stands out for me, is Jet Li's 'New Legend of Shaolin'. I watched this movie at a time when I was really into wire-fu, so I really loved this movie. As well as Donnie Yen's 'Iron Monkey'.

By far, my favorite kung fu movie of the 90's 'Fist of Legend'. I don't remember any real wire work done here, maybe just some slight uses.

DongFangXu

I like the era of the 90´s. Jet Li´s Tai Chi Master, Fist Of Legend, Fong Sai Yuk, Once Upon A Time In China 1 and 2 or even Kung Fu Cult Master are great films with lots of explosive action - of course there is a lot of wire fu going on, but I like it. Also Iron Monkey is a great film, Drunken Master 2 is Jackie´s masterpiece.... Also I like and recommend Butterfly And Sword, Deadful Melody, Wing Chun or Blade Of Fury. My absolute top favorite swordplay film of the 90s is NEW DRAGON GATE INN.

I like the "Sam" trilogy of films a lot:

Sam The Iron Bridge

White Lotus Cult

One-Armed Hero.

I think they may be mainland movies, not 100% sure, but very enjoyable. Also enjoyed A Warrior's Tragedy with Ti Lung.

RyanWheeler

Thank you for the feedback! It looks like I have a lot of movies to check out.

I had a question about "New Dragon Gate Inn". Is there an old Dragon Gate Inn?

My favorites are Jackie Chan's DRUNKEN MASTER 2 (1994) and Jet Li's FIST OF LEGEND (1994).

Honorable mention to the ONCE IN UPON A TIME IN CHINA saga, Donnie Yen's IRON MONKEY (1993) and Michelle Yeoh's WING CHUN (1994).

For American movies, Cynthia Rothrocks CHINA O'BRIEN 1 & 2 (1990) and LADY DRAGON 1 (1992).

shaolin swords

i for got to mention kung fu cult master great kung fu flick lots of action :clappinghands

Morgoth Bauglir

Sword Stained With Royal Blood

OUATIC 1 and 2

Last Hero in China

Iron Monkey

Fist of Legend

Angry Ranger

Love on Delivery

Kickboxer's Tears

Michael L.

Love on Delivery is an all-too-often forgotten classic.

Love on Delivery is an all-too-often forgotten classic.

I haven't seen this one. Is this actually a kung fu film though?

Michael L.

If you count Kung Fu Hustle as a martial arts flick you have to pretty much count Love on Delivery... I think it's literal title was "King of Destruction" or something like that. I put it up with the Royal Tramp movies and King of Beggars in my list of great Stephen Chow flicks!

Stephen Chow is the master of modern cantonese comedy. I hope we see a new project from him soon.

If you count Kung Fu Hustle as a martial arts flick you have to pretty much count Love on Delivery... I think it's literal title was "King of Destruction" or something like that. I put it up with the Royal Tramp movies and King of Beggars in my list of great Stephen Chow flicks!

Well, "Kung Fu Hustle" has the words "Kung Fu" right in the title, and plus, it did have a decent amount of action. It was just the name, "Love on Delivery", if judging solely by the title, I would in no way think there is any sort of martial arts to be found in this flick. But when you mention the literal title of "King of Destruction", well then, now we're talking.

Stephen Chow is the master of modern cantonese comedy. I hope we see a new project from him soon.

To be honest, I have not seen very many of his films, besides of course Shaolin Soccer, Kung Fu Hustle, CJ7 & Dragon Fight. Which of his vast catalog of films would you recommend, Michael & kaleyboy?

Royal Tramp 1 & 2

King Of Beggars

Forbidden City Cop

God Of Cookery

King Of Comedy

Fight Back To School 1 & 2

A Chinese Odyssey 1 & 2

These are just a few of his best, but really there is something good in all his films.

The Royal Tramp movies, Love on Delivery, King of Beggars, God of Gamblers II, All Hail the Judge... I remember them all fondly. My wife came home from garage sales today with a copy The Mad Monk. I haven't seen it since it was making the HK movie circuit rounds in the US in late '93 or early '94. I'll let you know how it is.

Mad Monk is one of his weaker films, with Anthony Wong badly miscast in a comedic role that didn't suit him. It's also directed by Johnny To, not the first name you think of when looking for a director for a lightweight comedy. There were also lots of rumours at the time of disagreements on the set between To & Chow on how the film should be made. Not a classic for anyone involved.

Morgoth Bauglir

Love on delivery is a bit tricky but yeah I'd say it's in the martial arts genre. There's like 3 or 4 major fight scenes. The Angry Ranger Ben Lam is lethal in this one. He fights Billy Chow and disposes of him in about 1/10 of a second.

A couple other great Stephen Chow martial arts comedies are All for the Winner and Forbidden City Cop. If you've seen Dreadnaught then there's a very special surprise waiting for you in Forbidden City Cop.

I really think that if you watch a Stephen Chow film just for martial arts, then most of the time you will miss out on some genuinely funny and imaginitive films. It's best to watch them with an open mind and just allow yourself to be entertained. A lot of them do feature martial arts, but really they always play second fiddle to the comedy. In other films that would be a bad thing, but in the case of Chow's films the humour is so good that it really doesn't matter.

Magnificent Novice

My top ones go a lil something like this...

Fist of Legend

Iron Monkey

The legend of Fong Sai Yuk

Evil cult was jokes

Once upon a time in China 1 & 2

Can't forget the fantasy fu classics

Moon Warriors

zu warriors

or do they not count?

My top ones go a lil something like this...

Fist of Legend

Iron Monkey

The legend of Fong Sai Yuk

Evil cult was jokes

Once upon a time in China 1 & 2

Can't forget the fantasy fu classics

Moon Warriors

zu warriors

or do they not count?

Very respectable list there MN! I would say Moon Warriors definitely counts, but Zu Warriors was released in 2001. Again, great list.

The '90s, in many ways the Silver Age of martial arts films! The longer I think, the longer this list will get so I'll try to mention things that no one else has... how about

Who Am I? (A very underrated and under appreciated Jackie Chan film... I first saw it the day before I went to a screening of Rush Hour)

The Swordsman films

Bare Foot Kid (the remake... I like it)

Wing Chun

Storm Riders

I know that the '90s gets the bad rap for all the wire work but, as I have said a million times on FDOD, I like the "kung fu=magic" attitude of the era. I have been practicing my Shaolin Style for 25 years and I still can't fly dammit!

heya folks, 1st post...but still...

90's was pretty full throttle, although when I go back to watch now most have too much wirework...which I loved as a teenager, but now, not so much. Many do not tho, mainly the modern crimefighting/gangster type flick with much kicking or machete action :)

Some that I'll pick off my shelf are (in no particular order, & Im having to check each for '90s status!)

Burning Paradise (in Hell) AKA Destruction of the Red Lotus Temple AKA Rape of the Red Temple

New Dragon Gate Inn

The Bare-Footed Kid

Kickboxer (no, not the JCVD one!)

The Sword Stained with Royal Blood

Iron Monkey

Fist Of Legend

New Legend Of Shaolin AKA Legend of the Red Dragon

OUATIC 2

My Father Is a Hero

A Kid From Tibet

Blat Of Fury

Police Story 3 AKA Supercop

Crystal Hunt

Tiger Cage 2

The Black Sheep Affair

Dragon Versus Phoenix

Tiger Claws

China O'Brien

Angel Force

Avenging Angels

Angel Terminators 2

Drive

could probably narrow it down, or just as easily keep going!

dont think there would be any new ones for y'all, but maybe some reconsiderations...

Archived