Sleepy Eyes of Death: Nemuri Kyoshiro #9-12

Guest Daisho2004

Guest Daisho2004

JFYI, Merlin over at SamuraiDVD.com has the last 4 Nemuri Kyoshiro movies subtitled, these are so hard to get, his DVD's are remastered from a new print.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest kungfusamurai

Does the swordplay improve in these later films? Even though I enjoyed the stories and the Nemuri Kyoshiro character, I found Raizo's sword skills much to be desired. Consequently, the fight scenes were not as exciting as they would have been if someone more competent, like Mifune or Nakadai (I'm not mentioning Wakayama or Shintaro because they're unmatchable), had been playing the title role.

KFS

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns
(I'm not mentioning Wakayama or Shintaro because they're unmatchable), had been playing the title role.

Just checking to be sure your aware that Toshiro Mifune was (from what I may have had been mistakenly informed) the foremost swordsman in swordsmanship in Japan during the advent of his filming career. Can anyone verify whether or not what I'm writing is true?

Guest Daisho2004

vengeance, Yes they are finished he sent them to me in a 4 disc box set.

And KFS, I really like Raizo's Sword fighting skills, but he did have a really good fight scene at the and of the Trail of Traps in which he used 2 swords which was one of the first times that I ever seen him do that.

Guest KevinClo
Toshiro Mifune was (from what I may have had been mistakenly informed) the foremost swordsman in swordsmanship in Japan during the advent of his filming career.

In the real world? No. In making movies he usually gets pretty high marks. Throughout his career he spent time training with Yoshio Sugino who helped in a lot of his movies. Yoshio is on the right:

www.aikidojournal.com/potd.php?page=61

Mifune would always say he was just an actor. Obviously, there is difference between what one may see in a dojo and on screen fighting. The trick is if the actor can get his on screen fight close to what one might imagine as a real fight. For most of his movies I think he was successful in doing that. It helps if you have the right choreographers and “opponents†because when all is said and done it just fantasy since no one is really trying to kill each other.

I’m on Merlin’s e-mail list on his site so I ordered the final four movies last week. I have always had a question about #10 because Nemuri’s Full Moon Cut doesn’t seem to work on some guy, but I think there is a simple explanation for it. When I watch it this week I'll find out for sure.

KC

Guest Isfahani

So where are 1-7? 8 has been out for a while, and I am really glad that the 'missing link' has been taken care of... I want them ALL remastered and eng sub!

Guest Isfahani

I guess since they aren't specifically noted (in the 7-or-is-it-8 pack) as "Remastered" on the site i wasn't aware...

Guest Daisho2004

OK I just finished the rest of this series and all I can say is it was great, there are 2 more movies that haven't been done yet with a different actor:

#13-Nemuri Kyoshiro Engetsu Sappo (THE FULL MOON SWORDSMAN)

#14-Nemuri Kyoshiro Manji Giri ( SPINNING WHEEL KILLING)

They both star Matsukata Hiroki as Kyoshiro and while they are at least

as good as any in the rest of the series, Raizo owned that role and

could never be replaced. Matsukata was a far superior swordsman as can

be seen in his many starring roles, including BROKEN SWORDS and TAIKOKI,

as well as in the 2 Nemuri films.

Interestingly enough, BROKEN SWORDS is a remake of SAMURAI VENDETTA

(Hakuoki), the film which rocketed Katsu Shintaro to stardom with his

sword skills being clearly superior to Raizo's; in this version,

however Matsukata's brilliant swordsmanship as the one armed lefty

fencer is aided by the fact that in real life he is left-handed.

Incidentally, Matsukata Hiroki is the son of Konoe Jushiro, one of

Toei's major stars from the 1950's.

Hopefully Merlin will get the remastered prints sometime in the future for these 2 movies. But if you haven't ordered them yet you really need to add them to your collection.

JFYI: A few people asked if you never seen pt.#1 does it matter what order you watch them in and the answer is no, but for myself I like to watch them in order.

Guest KevinClo

I would not mind seeing the Matsukata Hiroki versions subbed. He was the successor to that series, but those movies did not do as well. I agree that role belongs to Raizo and that is who I associate that character with.

I do like to see how other actors handle that role. The Tamura Masakazu ones are okay, but a little too cheap since that was originally a tv series, and then the ones being sold all over e-bay now are just the tv movies.

The ones I wouldn’t mind seeing subbed are the Koji Tsuruta versions. I own two of these and they are interesting in only that they were made before Raizo Ichikawa took over the role. They are filmed in black and white. The character is not ultra dark as in the Ichikawa movies, but the first movie is a lot closer to the original book than any other one. Unfortunately, I doubt these will ever get the sub treatment since it is more of a curiosity than being in the same class as the Ichikawa movies.

KC

Just watched A Ronin Called Nemuri and I must say I am blown away. I cannot believe Animego blew off releasing these last four films. Fools! Anyway, this film simply held me in suspense and delivered, with action, dialogue, and attitude. Attitude, this film nails what Nemuri Kyoshiro's character is... the son of the black mass and gloomy bitch! One of my favorite Sleepy Eyes Of Death sequels. 9/10 easy. God bless Merlin.

Guest Daisho2004

vengeance, you need to pick up the 2 TV movies if you haven't seen them they are very good, different but still worth adding to your collection, and I agree I can't believe AnimEigo didn't want to renew this series and remaster them and put them on DVD what a shame I was still hoping someone would, but hey Thank God for Merlin.

Thanks Daisho for the heads. What are the two TV movies like and do they star Ichikawa Raizo?

Guest Mr Dragula

Raizo only stars in 1-12.

I found the final four to be excellent, definitely a much needed improvement from the decline of the proceeding two entries.

As for Raizo's swordsmanship, while he may not of been a master swordsmen in real life i'd say he was certainly competent enough for film. With Razio it's first and foremost his charismatic film presence that draws you in, yet his on screen sword prowess still effectively gets the job done. No he's not as vigorous or commanding as say Katsu or Mifune, but he does have a certain grace which can be compelling in its own right.

Guest hammyhamster27

yeah I know I'm just waiting for the subs have the remastered 9 to 12 dvds for awhile now. Watched them at least a dozen times with no subs .

Archived