40th Anniversary of FIST OF FURY

Omni Dragon

15 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Kam Shan is the lead of the Cathay movie The great highwayman, in which he plays a scholar who is actually a martial arts expert.

Hi @ShawAngela, thanks for the information and answering my query.

Fluidity in motion, Chen Zhen keep's the Japanese Karate students at bay.

rexfeatures_5862488a.jpg

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve had an email from Michael Kaye, the man who dubbed Bruce Lee’s voice into English for the Hong Kong films. I am like a kid in a candy store, as they say.

I don't know how Bruce Lee would have reacted to your 'reading' of his place in history. He might have been flattered - he was a not unintelligent man, as you know.  Equally, he might have offered to show you a few rather painful moves.  Or he might have been amused.

As the person who dubbed the three roles of Lee; the chief villain; and the 'translator' , I suppose I am in a position to talk a little about 'Fist of Fury'.  I am afraid that the banality of the business of film dubbing in Hong Kong may revise some of your views.  

As to the script of 'Fist of Fury', I am afraid I am guilty of having perpetrated that crime on cinema.

Given the huge number of people who must by now have seen the film, I suppose I can also lay claim to being the most famous anonymity in cinema.”

Source- http://martialartsstudies.blogspot.com/2010/03/man-who-dubbed-bruce-lee-into-english.html

fists-of-fury-poster-bruce-lee-1971-pict

On 12/8/2019 at 9:14 PM, Killer Meteor said:

I love that tagline "The most dangerous film ever!"

I borrowed a  VHS copy of Fist of Fury, from a friend at school. That poster was on the back, and it really got my expectations up for it. Then I sit down to find out it's been heavily censored, I wasnt happy at all. From my first impressions of the BL movies, Via some very strict out-dated Victorian level of tight movie censorship. I'd never would have expected to become such a big fan. Then I got to see some of his best fights UNCUT, via the Golden Harvest tribute The Legend. Which gave me a whole different perspective of him, as a viable action star.

Bruce Lee in the Golden Harvest dubbing studio (1972). Creating/recording sound FX for the fight sequences featured in Fist of Fury, note the microphone near the towel.

BL31X.jpg

I just rewatched this movie, on a 2 discs edition, bought in a boxset with New fist of fury and an additional disc of bonuses on Fist of fury. I finally got to watch it in Mandarin, and there is the song I remembered of at the end, with translated lyrics.

I wonder if Nora Miao was filming another movie at the same moment she was playing in Fist of fury, because in the movie, there are at least two scenes in which she has a different haircut, with two braids as in The skyhawk, and the rest of the movie, she has short hair and the same haircut in The New Fist of Fury.

Does anyone have any information regarding this matter ?

Regarding New Fist of Fury, there is an alternate beginning of the movie that explains why Nora Miao has arrived in Taiwan and why there is a new Jing Wu School there, that I didn't remember to have seen in my French dvd, and that makes more sense than the beginning of the subbed version.

As I said, I watched Fist of fury in its original Mandarin language, and it was much more interesting to listen to the real language.

Since Mandarin (or Cantonese) is a difficult language,I know that the translators must have done a very good and hard work to translate the whole dialogues, but I noticed that sometimes, the translations are not really accurate. Of course, I'm not complaining, it's already very good to have translations of all these beautiful movies, I just mention what I noticed. I don't have time to compare the English subtitles to the French subtitles, and I'm almost sure that there are also some mistakes in the French subtitles.

For instance, Liu Yung, Nora Miao, Li Kun, Kam Sham and others address to Tien Feng as " Teacher ", but in the Mandarin language, it's said " Ta Shi Ge " (I don't know the accents, sorry). Knowing that the "brothers" and " sisters " in a martial arts school call each others " Shi Ge " and " Shi Mei ", the translation should have been something like " Elder Brother " and not " Teacher ", since their teacher was Huo Yuan Jia and the four of them together with Bruce Lee were his main students.

I guess that the same should be applied to Fist of fury II, in which Li Kun calls Tien Feng " Teacher " too...

23 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

The two braids is for the funeral scene alone.

Yes, but if she has short hair, she can't have braids, that's why I wondered if some scenes were shot at another moment as the others, while she had long hair in the other movie...

3 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Yes, but if she has short hair, she can't have braids, that's why I wondered if some scenes were shot at another moment as the others, while she had long hair in the other movie...

They changed Bruce Lee characters hair style, to one that looked closer to his Big Boss look. Before filming had even started. They had already filmed the the few scenes you mentioned, before the Producers/stylists decided to change her look at the last minute. You have spotted something, that many people have over looked.

(Below) the original look for Chen Zhen and his partner Yuen Li Er(Nota Miao) with briads.

cc540f8d01d0061ad287b20f7452b307.jpg

(Below)These two pictures were taken later in the production. Featuring the new look hair styles minus the braids.

e2ead58f1eadc84824524537b1df9d7e.jpg

In the bonuses of the DVD, I had noticed Bruce's different haircut on a picture showing him at the bushido school with shorter hair and I was about to ask about this too ! Thanks for the clarification.

40 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

In the bonuses of the DVD, I had noticed Bruce's different haircut on a picture showing him at the bushido school with shorter hair and I was about to ask about this too ! Thanks for the clarification. 

No problem, here's a shot of Peter Chan-Lung & Mr Lee posing for one of the publicity stills.

676f44468bf2512f1401adf4396b7f83.jpg

I remember reading in a book on Lee years ago that the reason they changed his hair style from the combed back look to the mod look was because his hair wouldn't stay in place during the action scenes. Guess they didn't have hairspray! lol

Did Lee have an argument or fight with the hairdresser , thats what i heard ?

2019 : 45 anniversary FoF japanese and spanish premieres

On 1/28/2020 at 2:08 PM, Coliseum1972 said:

Did Lee have an argument or fight with the hairdresser , thats what i heard ?

Where did you read this?, the Little Dragon VS Golden Harvest stylists.

On 1/28/2020 at 2:39 AM, CT KID said:

I remember reading in a book on Lee years ago that the reason they changed his hair style from the combed back look to the mod look was because his hair wouldn't stay in place during the action scenes. Guess they didn't have hairspray! lol

Surprised they didnt just give him a hair piece, like they did for his period costume screen tests. Many other male/female performers of the same era, were wearing wigs on screen anyway. In the end they went with a look that was more 1970's, and closer to the hair style he sported in TBB.

Killer Meteor
20 hours ago, CT KID said:

I think it was Bob Baker who objected to it, if memory serves me right.

Killer Meteor

I just wonder who decided to Nora that box of a do. She has a similar but much better look in New Fist of Fury.

DragonClaws

China enraged by ‘Sick Man of Asia’ headline, but its origin may surprise many

• The term was coined in 1895 to describe Qing officials by Chinese scholar Yan Fu after China lost a war against the Japanese
  • The term is usually used to refer to bad governance – and is more often used by Chinese people than Westerners

Source- https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/article/3052434/china-enraged-sick-man-asia-headline-its-origin-may-surprise-many

bruceleesickmanofasia.jpg

Archived