40th Anniversary of FIST OF FURY

Omni Dragon

On 8/26/2019 at 5:21 PM, DragonClaws said:

Yet another new re-issue?, or just another bootleg release?.

816L0sIZPnL._SL1500_.jpg

Kinda looks like Bruce Lee's head stuck on Jason Scott Lee's body.😄

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I often say, I'm not an expert in anything and I hadn't realized that Bruce Lee's head had been stuck on someone's body...I never said either that this cover was equal in quality to Bob's works, which are far better.

So, I apologize to Bob and all of you Bruce's fans if my comment offended any of you.

No need to apologise and no offence taken.

you asked a question and I answered that is all. We are all friends here and our opinions differ (it would be very boring if they didn’t)

• Administrator
8 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

As I often say, I'm not an expert in anything and I hadn't realized that Bruce Lee's head had been stuck on someone's body...I never said either that this cover was equal in quality to Bob's works, which are far better.

So, I apologize to Bob and all of you Bruce's fans if my comment offended any of you.

1 hour ago, makone said:

No need to apologise and no offence taken.

you asked a question and I answered that is all. We are all friends here and our opinions differ (it would be very boring if they didn’t)

Wow, what a thing to read! 😄 LOL

@ShawAngela You absolutely did NOT offend me in any way, shape or form, sister. I used very similar colors for the background images on both my JIMMY WANG YU- Film Collection cover art and THE STREET FIGHTER- Trilogy set (powerful colors I think, that remind me of fire... lava... ridiculously violent, male testosterone-fueled martial arts carnage. 😆), both released by Shout! Factory, so I totally see why you thought it might be me. 😀

@makone I certainly appreciate what you said about me- thanks brother. But what I like even more is what you said above to @ShawAngela. Kindness and respect to one another is free, yet priceless.

product_images_modal_jwyccover72dpi__7B298bc3cc-3819-e411-ba69-d4ae527c3b65_7D.jpg

SFC.BR.PS.Slipcase.72dpi.png

On 10/28/2019 at 12:23 AM, CT KID said:

Kinda looks like Bruce Lee's head stuck on Jason Scott Lee's body.😄

Bruce Lee was never that big even at his heaviest lol, and I think @ShawAngela is right. There's deffinety some @KUNG FU BOB vibes going on with that cover. Not that it's on the same level in terms of quality, but the colour choices are similar.

This is some pretty decent Fist of Fury inspired fan poster-art.

image.png

I just can't understand why they did that, it's stupid. Just use a real pic of Bruce, head and body! They wanted his body to look bigger than it was when his real body looked just fine.

Ni Kuang - the face behind hundreds of novels and film scripts. Promo pic for the 2012 Hong Kong Film Awards when he received a Lifetime Achievement Award. 

His English language Wikipedia article says

As the screenwriter for the 1972 film Fist of Fury, he didn't received credit for creating the protagonist, Chen Zhen, who was played by Bruce Lee. The credits listed director Lo Wei as author.

Any insights on background/ evidence? Lots of websites name Ni Kuang as creator of the Chen Zhen character but do not mention the script discrepancy. HKMDB and HKFA list Lo Wei for the script.  

Hi @Chu Liu Hsiang, according to Bruce Lee A Life author Mattew Polly, Lo Wei scribbled down the first draft. With Raymond Chow later re-writing it over a single weekend. I'm not sure which of them should be credited for creating the Chen Zhen character?. Maybe Ni Kuang worked with Chow on the re-writes, the production was delayed at one point. Maybe this was due to issues over the script?.

Still haven't read Polly's book yet but have you read Unsettled Matters? It's got all kind of accusations like Bruce was using steroids, and that Marijuana or Raymond Chow might have been behind Bruce's death. I take it with a grain of salt but the user on here named The Dragon use to swear by it. It sure is an entertaining read nonetheless! Fighting Spirit was another good book on Lee.

14 hours ago, CT KID said:

Still haven't read Polly's book yet but have you read Unsettled Matters? It's got all kind of accusations like Bruce was using steroids, and that Marijuana or Raymond Chow might have been behind Bruce's death.

You should get hold of copy of Polly's book if you enjoyed reading other bios on the same subject. I've read Tom Bleeker's book, it was one of the first pulbications to blow the lid on Bruce Lee's Philospher Saint.New Age Guru image. Not all of it can be true, but is everything in their a lie?.

15 hours ago, CT KID said:

It sure is an entertaining read nonetheless! Fighting Spirit was another good book on Lee.

I was never too impressed by this book, even if it was one of the few more extensive biogrpahies out there at the time

8 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

You should get hold of copy of Polly's book if you enjoyed reading other bios on the same subject. I've read Tom Bleeker's book, it was one of the first pulbications to blow the lid on Bruce Lee's Philospher Saint.New Age Guru image. Not all of it can be true, but is everything in their a lie?.

I was never too impressed by this book, even if it was one of the few more extensive biogrpahies out there at the time

Yeah who knows what's true and what isn't, but like I said it was an entertaining book. We know Bruce had his flaws just like everyone and was certainly no saint so some of it wasn't hard to believe. Surprised you didn't like Fighting Spirit, but I learned alot of stuff about him and his life you might have already known.

15 hours ago, CT KID said:

Surprised you didn't like Fighting Spirit, but I learned alot of stuff about him and his life you might have already known.

I'd pretty much read every book by the time I got a hold of Fighting Spirit. By no means knocking that title it's a very good book.

Killer Meteor
1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

Heck, you have stuck Fist of Fury opposite Wombling Free and the crowds would come!

Ha, the main feature is an AA cert which meant you could go if you were for 14 but they pair it with an X cert which was 18 and over. Smart programming 😂 need to watch Amsterdam Kill again, i recall Chen Sing having a small role in that one.

On 11/29/2019 at 11:11 PM, Killer Meteor said:

Heck, you have stuck Fist of Fury opposite Wombling Free and the crowds would come!

Too right, they could pair a Bruce Lee movie with just about anything and still put bums on seat's back then.

On 11/30/2019 at 10:25 AM, saltysam said:

Ha, the main feature is an AA cert which meant you could go if you were for 14 but they pair it with an X cert which was 18 and over. Smart programming 😂 need to watch Amsterdam Kill again, i recall Chen Sing having a small role in that one.

He does have a small role playing a hired assasin of some kind?.

On 11/30/2019 at 11:42 AM, Killer Meteor said:

I wonder where they got the geisha for Fist of Fury, she's quite the charmer.

Just about everyone connected to BL has been interviewed etc, apart from this young lady. Was she Japanese?, or did they use make-up on a Hong Kong actress to make her look that way?.

Here's another Fist of Fury related query. Who is the lady in the picture below? with Lee and Angela Ma-Yng's husband Kelly Lai-Chen?.

BL2427.jpg

MasterSamurai+1974-6-b.jpg

(Above) Kam Shan, in Master Samuria(1974)

Source- http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=19348&display_set=eng

Are there any known interviews with Golden Harvest actor Kam Shan?, who had parts in Bruce Lee's first two Hong Kong movies. As Ah Shan, one of the cousins in The Big Boss. Followed by a part in Fist of Fury, playing stoic Jing Wu student Tung. He made his debut as an extra in Duel at the Supreme Gate(1968) and appeared in thirty one films. Starring alongside Robert Mitchum's son Chris, in Master Samurai(1974). Was this his only shot at a starring role?. He also appeared as Mr Fok, in the 1983 swordplay classic Duel to the Death. Kam's final on-screen performance was in the 1993 Poon Man-Kit directed Hero of Hong Kong 1949.

(Below) Kam Shan poses for some Fist of Fury promotional photos.

BL3122.jpg

On 12/1/2019 at 8:08 PM, DragonClaws said:

MasterSamurai+1974-6-b.jpg

(Above) Kam Shan, in Master Samuria(1974)

Source- http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=19348&display_set=eng

Are there any known interviews with Golden Harvest actor Kam Shan?, who had parts in Bruce Lee's first two Hong Kong movies. As Ah Shan, one of the cousins in The Big Boss. Followed by a part in Fist of Fury, playing stoic Jing Wu student Tung. He made his debut as an extra in Duel at the Supreme Gate(1968) and appeared in thirty one films. Starring alongside Robert Mitchum's son Chris, in Master Samurai(1974). Was this his only shot at a starring role?. He also appeared as Mr Fok, in the 1983 swordplay classic Duel to the Death. Kam's final on-screen performance was in the 1993 Poon Man-Kit directed Hero of Hong Kong 1949.

Kam Shan is the lead of the Cathay movie The great highwayman, in which he plays a scholar who is actually a martial arts expert.

On 11/30/2019 at 12:42 PM, Killer Meteor said:

I wonder where they got the geisha for Fist of Fury, she's quite the charmer

I wouldn't say that she is a charming girl...but I'm not a man !! :bs_smile:

I didn't like her face at all, sorry, but once again, I must have not watched the same thing as other people here...:bs_laughing:

Archived