best entry in the Lone Wolf and Cub series?

Guest sevenhooks

Guest sevenhooks

I was introduced to the series back in the 80's with Shogun Assassin and despite the complete retooling/restructuring of the story and characters, I love it.

Thought the script, particularly for Daigoro, was brilliant.

After seeing the first two films in the series I've begun to appreciate Shogun Assasin even more.

So what about you guys?

What's your favorite film in the series?

I also like the one with the tattooed samurai chick.

Baaaaadaassss!!!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favorite has to be the 3rd one, Baby Cart to Hades, the end fight is insane, best fight of the series - maybe, how can the first one be denied? the opening decapitation sets up the whole run!(and quite shocking the first time I seen it back in the day), I love the opening where him and Daigoro are walking between heaven and hell, does someone have a pic?

Guest Daisho2004

This is a hard one to choose, but I like episodes #3 Baby Cart to Hades" & also episode #4 "Baby Cart in Peril" the best.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Actually they're all good. If you like one film of Lone Wolf you'll like them all IMO.

Guest Daisho2004

Well, to me pt.#6 kinda sucked, "White Heaven in Hell" the supernatural plot to me just ruined the final episode, and I really would've liked to see him have a final Battle with Retsudo Yagyu.

Guest Yakuza954

I think I may be the only one whose favorite is the 6th movie.

Those same supernatural elements people complain about give the series an epic feeling I wasn't feeling before. With an entire army after Lone Wolf, and supernatural at that, the stakes were really raised to the next level. And then there's the snow fight at the end. Probably my favorite fight in the entire series.

I really would've liked to see him have a final Battle with Retsudo Yagyu.

That's not really a fault of the 6th movie as it wasn't planned to be the final movie at the time. I would have liked to see him have a final battle with him too. Then the series would have been perfect.

I'll really like the 6th film as well. In fact I think it's the only film in the series where Ogami actually shows fear of his enemy. Their being supernatural kinda catches him off his guard.

I would have liked to see him have a final battle with him too. Then the series would have been perfect.

I think it's Baby Cart In Peril where he and Retsudo have a showdown at the very end of the movie in the barren rock ledges. That's (I could have mixed up titles) pretty close to the ultimate showdown between the two rivals. Though I do agree, there should've been a finality between them.

Guest KevinClo

I love Babycart at the River Styx (#2). The final confrontation with Daigoro pointing to his father and the drum beating is one of the coolest two minutes in cinema.

As a runner up, I like Babycart at the Land of Demons (#5). Part of the story that they took from the Manga is called “The Gateless Barrier†where Itto has to learn from the priest how to kill him. It’s my favorite story of them all. It is rather zen and, as much as I like the movie, I don’t think it is portrayed in the best possible way. I wouldn’t mind seeing someone trying a new approach in making a movie of that. As a sidenote, in the old tv series, they replaced the Buddhist priest with a Christian one. Apparently, during that time, you could kill Buddhist priests on the big screen, but not on regular tv. Lol

Oh yeah, the six movies only cover about 1/3 of the story. The old 78 episode tv series, is not as OTT in action and sword fighting, but it does a pretty good job of covering the whole story. There is the final confrontation in the last episode of the series.

KC

Archived