7 Man Army

dadadove

Last night I watched the Shaw Brothers' 7 Man Army for the first time. It was mediocre as a war/battle type movie between the Chinese and Japanese, but noteworthy for a few other reasons, aside from being based on a true story.

#1 Lau Kar-Fai and Leung Kar-Yan portraying the bad guys (Japanese) with Wang Lung-Wei (which of course wasn't a stretch!) Lau Kar-Fai's wig made him look like a scarecrow.post-8811-144199713742_thumb.jpg

#2 Chen Kuan-Tai and Lau-Kar Fai in a nice rifle/bayonnett-sword fight. post-8811-144199713743_thumb.jpg

#3 Fu Sheng and Leung Kar-Yan fighting to the death. I won't mention who wins, but not who I'd put my money on. No offense MarsHarmony!

#4 Fu Sheng's kicking skills. I can't recall seeing him with such nice leg extension as he shows here and with a few other kicks. post-8811-144199713745_thumb.png

#5 Chi Kuan-Chun....for just being in the movie and looking impressive as usual. He deserves to have been in far more movies as he is certainly in the same league. In my opinion anyway.

The first two pics were borrowed from http://www.hkcinemagic.com

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mediocre?!?!? *stomps off grumbling* LOL I actually thoroughly enjoyed this one. Even with the REALLY poorly timed explosions/people jumping away, tinker toy "explosions" sound/scale.

Well, I suppose I should have said I enjoyed the movie! I've seen maybe 2 Shaws I didn't like. I just meant that the battle scenes were weak. Maybe at least 10 years behind a Hollywood war scene from that time frame. You can't show me a movie with that cast that won't get at least 4 out of 5 stars from me!

Well, I suppose I should have said I enjoyed the movie! I've seen maybe 2 Shaws I didn't like. I just meant that the battle scenes were weak. Maybe at least 10 years behind a Hollywood war scene from that time frame. You can't show me a movie with that cast that won't get at least 4 out of 5 stars from me!

LOL just ridding ya man :coveredlaugh Yeah the battle scenes are weak...but remember 10 years behind Hollywood was the norm for FX back then (sometimes more). IMO that lends itself well as part of the "Shaw charm" unintentionally funny, yet not so much to be bothersome.

Aw, I would have welcomed your very valid points in my Seven Man Army thread, which I have had for almost a year. But still, good observations here. I too enjoy this film, and considering CC's limited budget, he did a pretty good job telling the story especially with the human interest factor. Fu Sheng may not have been the worlds greatest martial artist, but he's damn good and my main man! Speed, accuracy and always technically right on, he is always a joy to watch.

Aw, I would have welcomed your very valid points in my Seven Man Army thread, which I have had for almost a year. But still, good observations here. I too enjoy this film, and considering CC's limited budget, he did a pretty good job telling the story especially with the human interest factor. Fu Sheng may not have been the worlds greatest martial artist, but he's damn good and my main man! Speed, accuracy and always technically right on, he is always a joy to watch.

DAMN, downgraded to the #2 spot again :sad:rofl

Sorry I missed your original thread. It was before I joined. I guess I should've searched first. :sad

Archived