Best versions of Jet Li's Shaolin Temple series?

nectarsis

I recently nabbed Martial Arts of Shaolin (DD Shaw). I would really like to nab the best available versions of the rest of the series (correct aspect ratio/language/picture/sub quality, etc.).

Any help will be appreciated. :cool

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looking at dvdcompare it sounds like Mei Ah remastered is the way to go. Can't attest to the sub quality, but it's the only release that is anamorphic! Strangely enough, the original Mei Ah release (not remastered) has bonus featurettes on both movies, but not on the remasters. I liked the quality of Moon Warriors from Mei Ah so I know they do a good job. I've seen these discs on ebay before and almost bought them several times...I thought DD might release them...in fact Bey Logan himself told me to wait on the DD releases!!! Oh well. I also have the DD MAoS and I love it!

Nectarsis,

I've got the Mei Ah Shaolin Temple and Kids From Shaolin. Both have the nice outer light cardboard jackets. I haven;'t had them on for a bit, but I'll put them in today and give you an opinion on the features you were wondering about.

I've got the MAoS on Celestial IVL and its as good as any other Shaw title in that regard.

DADADOVE

Nectarsis,

Mei Ah's Shaolin Temple....picture quality is good, but probably could be a little better. At some times the color looks a little washed out, such as red when outdoors, but it might not be a scarlet red to begin with. Some of the blues look faded inside, but hard to really tell because they are in the dimly lit places inside the temple.

It has Cantonese and Mandarin language tracks. The subs seem fine to me. They have English and both Simple and Traditional Chinese to choose from.

I'm not sure what the correct aspect ration should be. This version is the 16 : 9 anamorphic widescreen. Is this what you are referring to?

Does this help?

Well, neither Shaolin Temple nor Kids From Shaolin say anything anywhere on them about being remastered, so maybe not. I bought them round about 2005-06. When I search online for a picture of "kids from shaolin remastered" the cover is there for both movies and the website listed is http://www.fivestarlaser.com, so maybe they are remastered. I don't really know. The quality is far from bad. Even if there is a better print, I can't see spending more money. These suit me fine. I don't know anything about that fivestarlaser site either, before you wildly click on it!

Now I see another cover for Kids on http://www.downturk.net (whatever that is). This cover looks like a cheaper version, perhaps the original ?!

Archived