What's Your Favorite Kung Fu Movie, And Why?

PaiLum

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Iron Head Rat said:

Tough choice for me between Warriors Two, Prodigal Son, & Legend Of A Fighter.

16 hours ago, sym8 said:

Hard to pick just one but if I had to it would be Warriors 2,having not long seen this(again)it’s still a joy to watch and for me it’s better than anything Chan and Lau Kar Leung we’re putting out and that’s saying something

More love for Warriors Two, nice to see this flick still getting a lot of support.

No way I can narrow it down to one title, despite bumping this thread. A title like Legend of A Fighter(1982) springs to mind, but then I think of all the other equally good movies an why I like them just as much. I instantly think of LOAF as one of the finest examples of what the genra has to offer. Not just in the early eighties, as it's still stands up to all the other classics that have followed it.

On 5/1/2012 at 1:26 PM, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

CRIPPLED AVENGERS

I think this might well be my personal favourite shape.

6 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

No way I can narrow it down to one title, despite bumping this thread. A title like Legend of A Fighter(1982) springs to mind, but then I think of all the other equally good movies an why I like them just as much. I instantly think of LOAF as one of the finest examples of what the genra has to offer. Not just in the early eighties, as it's still stands up to all the other classics that have followed it.

Legend of a fighter is a quality movie and along with The Victim it’s probably Leung Kar Yan’s best movie(in my opinion anyways).Havent seen legend Of A Fighter in a long time so may dig it out

2 hours ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

I think this might well be my personal favourite shape.

When I first heard about this movie as naive and pretty green teenager, I thought it was made up. In the 70's they could get away with so much, then I remembered this title starring actor Mat Fraser.

55 minutes ago, sym8 said:

Legend of a fighter is a quality movie and along with The Victim it’s probably Leung Kar Yan’s best movie(in my opinion anyways).Havent seen legend Of A Fighter in a long time so may dig it out

I would to see 88 or Eureka to put out a nice HD WideScreen print on Blu-Ray. Ideally with Leaung Kar-Yan contributing to a commentary track. While I couldnt afford to buy the movie when it first came out on DVD in Britain. I rented it instead, and I didn't want to give it back after the three day loan run out.

@DragonClaws Unarmed But Dangerous looks to me like it's more in the vain of The Crippled Masters. IMO Crippled Avengers is more in the vain of Zatoichi or One Armed Swordsman.

9 hours ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

@DragonClaws Unarmed But Dangerous looks to me like it's more in the vain of The Crippled Masters. IMO Crippled Avengers is more in the vain of Zatoichi or One Armed Swordsman.

Thanks @Silver and Gold Dragon neither film has really appealed to me so I've never atched them, and I often get the two titles mixed up.

I don't think I ever posted in this. My favorite old school kung fu movies are:

Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin (1978) - I love the fighting, the story, the characters and the great dubbed dialog.

Drunken Master (1978) - Same as the above, minus the story, but plus Legendary Superkicker Hwang Jang Lee.

Heroes of the East (1978) - No need for an explanation here.

Invincible Armour (1977) - Great fighting and excellent story. Wonderful cast, too.

Runners Up:

Game of Death (1978)

Way of the Dragon (1972)

Call Me Dragon (1974)

Broken Oath (1977)

Magnificent Butcher (1979)

Drunken Monk
41 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

Broken Oath (1977)

I feel like this film doesn't get enough love. I adore it.

Rodolphe Dux

Dirty Ho, Buddhist Fist and Five Elements Ninja came instantly in mind but there are tons of movies I adore, I'm just unable to pick only "One". I adore the sceneries and action directing of the three movies, at times when there was no cgis and real and impressive stunts with experienced martial artists, not superstars who can't throw a decent punch. Times when kung fu movies had some charm!

OpiumKungFuCracker
On 1/19/2012 at 5:43 PM, PaiLum said:

Trying to expand my collection and am looking to have the best of the best.

Have you seen Romeo Must Die?

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Kung Pow! Enter the Fist yet? :BL-IDontKnow: 7 Grandmasters was always one of my favorites & Legendary Weapons of China is one that I try and watch at least once a year along with Duel to the Death even though I'm not big fans of either Norman Chu or Damian Lau.

Iron Head Rat
18 hours ago, Rodolphe Dux said:

Dirty Ho, Buddhist Fist and Five Elements Ninja came instantly in mind but there are tons of movies I adore, I'm just unable to pick only "One". I adore the sceneries and action directing of the three movies, at times when there was no cgis and real and impressive stunts with experienced martial artists, not superstars who can't throw a decent punch. Times when kung fu movies had some charm!

Dirty Ho is indeed a good film. Anybody know the best available print of this movie?

Rodolphe Dux
8 minutes ago, Iron Head Rat said:

Dirty Ho is indeed a good film. Anybody know the best available print of this movie?

My favorite is the celestial remaster available in HD on streaming platforms like amazon or on DVD but no blu as far as I know.

Killer Meteor

Master of the Flying Guillotine - not only is it full of great kung fu, it introduced me to my favourite band

I've seen Warriors Two. I've never seen it before but, apart from the final fight, Sammo always puts together almost the same situations. If you see it after Iron Fisted Monk and The Magnificent Butcher, everything becomes even more concrete. The same actors, Sammo's friends, always play almost always the same parts; like Fung Hark-On, who is always the final boss (made-up in a hallucinatory way) and in the movie he always rapes some woman. I don't understand why this film is so acclaimed. The fights are slow and only in the final one they try harder. The only real quality leap in the genre, Sammo does it with Prodigal Son. Now, that's superior quality. In that movie there are not only scenes of silly irony or slapstick (when there are too many, as in previous movies I get tired of them) but also in the action: Biao makes all the fights seen previously seem very slow. After that I saw Dragon Fist (which I had never seen before) and I was more satisfied with Warriors Two. Okay, the story and the approach is completely different, but the fights, even if they're not always at their best, are on another planet. Jackie was really something exceptional, again, alien. Like Biao makes everyone else seem very slow. I never wanted to see anything with Lo Wei, but I felt that Dragon Fist was the best. 

Archived