What's Your Favorite Kung Fu Movie, And Why?

PaiLum

i would say 5 deadly venoms

why/...because it got me into the kung fu cinema world...

back in 12 grade- 11 years ago a friend who was into wu tang came over and showed me a movie ..and showed me that wu tang sampled alot from this film

as i watched it i loved it even though their isn't a lot of action....it opened a door and after that i started buying and researching what was good and now ..i have over 1200 kung fu movies and every one i went too to see what was good comes to me now lol

i knew what kung fu movies were like every one els i loved bruce lee as a kid and then jet li and jackie came aloong in the states...but 5 deadly venoms opened that door to old school movies not just the American made films jet and jackie did ...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bruce Lee's CHINESE CONNECTION was my first ever kung fu flick. I was hooked for life. Within 2 weeks after I saw it in the 70's, I build my first pair of nunchakus and joined a TaeKwonDo school! A close second is Jimmy Wang Yu's BEACH OF THE WAR GODS because it was the first (and only) fu flick I saw with my dad.

wow to name the most favorit kung fu movie is a terrible thing for all the other movies..... this is very hard, because they are all different in their own styles.... I mean, there are common things that we can all see, such as original ideas on choreographys, original styles, comedy and jokes and I guess every movie has their own..... now the other aspect is the emotional thing that gets deep inside of every single one of us, that's why we can call classic a movie that has gone through the guts, mind and soul of everyone of us..... so there won't be any surprise for any of you if I say that on my favourite there will be Warriors Two and Prodigal Son.

These both are very special to me as I really think they are art masterpieces. Warriors Two has this magic with Leung Ka-Yan as the master that I respect sooooo much, remember when he is in the tavern and he jumps from the down from the second floor without moving his back an inch when he lands....his practice house made of wooden with the wooden dummies and stuff, the ugly bastard always plotting, the sword brothers, thunder Tai, the armour body guy, the training with Sammo and Casanova Wong where Sammo slaps him in the face while removing his headstring (cant get the correct word... headstring?? shhhh.. my english is going away...), the final villain without his old guy mask and his mantis technique where he gets kicked from a jump of at least 7 meters long...... dunno, I cant blink an eye during the whole movie, every move, every second is special and deep, I got only love for this movie......

now dont even get me started on Prodigal Son, I guess everybody will agree about the social, artistic, serious, delirious, high tension of rage, yet super violent condensed all emotions possible all-in-one movie.... every actor at his best.... this was one of the first movies I saw when I started to be really interested in MA movies, and as a very well known classic I had no trouble of finding a perfect subtitled version..... I still watch these 2 movies from time to time and it is still the same feeling, it gets better and better every time..... I saw these movies more than 10 times each at least and I will watch them countless times until I die and I come to the same conclusion everytime after seeing them : that was the golden age, and this is absolutely lost and none of the shit made today will never come close to 1% of the perfection that these movies were all about....... I feel sad about it..... and I guess that's the reason why we all keep collecting old movies and looking for new ones we never saw before.... and guess what : I always find a new gem that makes me feel excited like a kid..... and that's why I love these movies....

Damn.... this forum also helps me understand myself....way better than going to see a psychiatrist :laugh

I see most of my favs already posted. I'd add Police Story to the list. And, I know it's not strictly a Kung Fu movie but, Streetfighter is badass

Well, it's been a while since anyone has commented in this thread, so as the newest member of the forum, I'll add my two cents.

I'd have to say my favorite film is probably Invincible Armour, though I don't think it's the best kung fu film I've seen by any means. It's just a whole lot of fun with some great action and an amusing story.

My other top films would include:

- Opium and the Kung Fu Master

- Last Hurrah for Chivalry

- 5 Element Ninjas

- Shaolin vs Lama

- Knockabout

- Born Invincible

- Young Master

- Legend of the Fighter

- Sword Stained with Royal Blood

My favorite Kung Fu movie of all time is Bruce Lee- Fist of Fury aka Connnection is also my favorite movie of all time. I saw it on vhs when i was 3 years old back in 1992 and ive been hooked on martial arts ever since. Also it was the first kung fu movie i ever saw.

Idiot1441996347

Movie, as in singular? A touch question indeed! But if forced into a corner with a sword to my throat, I'd have to go with...

8 Diagram Pole Fighter

ebay-8-diagram-pole-fighter-copyb-copy.jpg

Why? Many reasons, and I'll leave the fight scenes out for now. One thing I love about Shaw studios is their sets. The mid to late old school heyday featured some of the best Shaw had to offer. It gives their movies a subtle surreal aspect to them. Not just a bunch of guys fighting in a field somewhere. This is a beautifully shot movie with a truly touching story, backed with an amazing score (also featured in Killer Constable). Also, the actors performances are realistic, due to Fu Sheng's passing while filming. You can tell that the actors are actually grieving during some of the scenes. Oh, and the ass kicking is amazing! From the monks removing their enemies teeth to the final fight between 5th Yang and the head monk...phenomenal!

Movie, as in singular? A touch question indeed! But if forced into a corner with a sword to my throat, I'd have to go with...

8 Diagram Pole Fighter

ebay-8-diagram-pole-fighter-copyb-copy.jpg

Why? Many reasons, and I'll leave the fight scenes out for now. One thing I love about Shaw studios is their sets. The mid to late old school heyday featured some of the best Shaw had to offer. It gives their movies a subtle surreal aspect to them. Not just a bunch of guys fighting in a field somewhere. This is a beautifully shot movie with a truly touching story, backed with an amazing score (also featured in Killer Constable). Also, the actors performances are realistic, due to Fu Sheng's passing while filming. You can tell that the actors are actually grieving during some of the scenes. Oh, and the ass kicking is amazing! From the monks removing their enemies teeth to the final fight between 5th Yang and the head monk...phenomenal!

Most excellent choice!

Secret Executioner

Damn, I REALLY need to get that one (Eight Diagram Pole Fighter). Heard so much good about it.

Not sure what my fav' KF movie would be. I think I would go with Chang Cheh's Disciples Of Shaolin because of its nice action (I like the idea of the styles matching the personalities of the characters - sneaky and traitorous for the bad guy, exhuberant for Fu Sheng, agressive and lethal for the enraged Chi Kuan Chun in the end), Fu Sheng's funny character (I found that "shoe-whiping" thing he does kinda funny) and its dark atmosphere (reflected by the backstory of Chi Kuan Chun's character).

There was something with this movie that really attracted me from the first time I saw it and I found it very enjoyable in spite of some despicable characters (the bosses notably) and Fu Sheng's tragic fate - I find the relation between the two lead characters well done and I like the opposition between Fu Sheng who portrays a playful and innocent guy and Chi Kuan Chun who plays a dark and moody character.

Idiot1441996347

I just revisited Invincible One the other day. Man, did Fu Sheng have it all. Good Looks, charisma & the talent to kick ass. I always felt this was a very underrated film. Although the story is not that original, I really like this one. Great score as well.

Did Chi Kuan Chun ever play a character that was upbeat and affable? Not great range as an actor but still quite likable.

Secret Executioner
Damn, I REALLY need to get that one (Eight Diagram Pole Fighter). Heard so much good about it.

Not sure what my fav' KF movie would be. I think I would go with Chang Cheh's Disciples Of Shaolin because of its nice action (I like the idea of the styles matching the personalities of the characters - sneaky and traitorous for the bad guy, exhuberant for Fu Sheng, agressive and lethal for the enraged Chi Kuan Chun in the end), Fu Sheng's funny character (I found that "shoe-whiping" thing he does kinda funny) and its dark atmosphere (reflected by the backstory of Chi Kuan Chun's character).

There was something with this movie that really attracted me from the first time I saw it and I found it very enjoyable in spite of some despicable characters (the bosses notably) and Fu Sheng's tragic fate - I find the relation between the two lead characters well done and I like the opposition between Fu Sheng who portrays a playful and innocent guy and Chi Kuan Chun who plays a dark and moody character.

Another movie that I would go with would be the independent Taiwanese production Phantom Kung Fu. This 1979 movie stars Chang Yi as a master of the Palm of Death (a lethal technique which produces a weird sound effects and causes Chang's hands to smoke whenever he uses it) who is hired by Qing officials to retrieve a document from a group of rebels. A guy he killed early on keeps "resurrecting" while the rebels try to gather more people and try to kill the Palm of Death master - who is put as the bad guy but isn't that bad really as it seems he just tries to do his job and not to kill too many people on his way.

This movie is easily one of my favorites, and it has a lot of great stuff going for it: Chang Yi's character has a really colorful outfit and sounds like the leader of the Knights who say "Ni" in Monty Python's Holy Grail, the characters joining the rebels are really funny (I love the "Double Dragon" guys - their backstory and the OTT leader are just hilarious), two characters drop in for a short time but are really cool (a Mantis practitionner and his brother called Drunken Monkey who lives up to his namesake) and the movie has a supernatural element with the plot point of a mystical kung fu that makes people immortal (hence why the murdered character from the beginning keeps returning to torment Chang Yi's character).

The action is sweet too, especially the fight between Chang Yi's character and the two brothers (including some badass poses by the two) and there is a lot of comedy (again the leader of the "Double Dragon" clan, though the Drunken Monkey guy is rather funny thanks to his weird appearance and the dubbing).

The final is kinda strange, but it's also very unusual and the movie gets a relatively happy ending.

I was kinda surprised when I first saw it (the unusual supernatural aspect bugged me but the comedy had me rolling) and I find myself enjoying it more and more each time I watch it. :nodding

Hard to choose so here are a couple of my favourite kung fu movies.8 diagram pole fighters,my young auntie,warriors two,five superfighters,rebellious reign,super power,sun dragon,drunken master 2,invincible armour,heroes of the east.If I post this again tomorrow they may have completely changed there are so many :laugh

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Like most everyone else here I cannot pick an all time favorite,

I love a great martial arts movie with characterization and story along with fantastic fights / training sequences.

But still, Shanghai 13 just delights me to no end. It's super easy to follow and a blast to watch. It's Tiger vs. the Student and the Rich Man! Lu Feng's fight choreography in that scene made Leung Kar Yan and Andy Lau freakin' soar. He played to their strengths and gave Beardy one of the single most fun/heroic fights he's ever pulled off.

I've seen so many great films and am introduced to new and fascinatingly talented actors/martial artists, choreographers, I cannot choose. I have enjoyed the vast majority of the films and have rewatched several already.

Interesting to see so many different picks. I'll choose three, one from Shaw, one from Golden Harvest, and one indie..

Shaw - King Boxer. I like to say this is about the most complete classic kung fu movie there is. Good story, great action (especially for the time) some nice OTT stuff, and great characters. It does so much right I can't do it justice with just a small comment.

GH - Knockabout, great fights, great villain, good comedy and training scenes. One of those movies I just always find myself going back to.

Indie - Rebellious Reign, superb shapes fighting, great powerful story and characters squeezed into its short run time. It gives the illusion of impressive scope through good direction for a low budget movie.

Interesting to see so many different picks. I'll choose three, one from Shaw, one from Golden Harvest, and one indie..

Shaw - King Boxer

GH - Knockabout

Indie - Rebellious Reign

An absolutely solid Top 3 list. :thumbsup

Golden Harvest:

Probably Iron Monkey from 1993. Just thinking about this movie gets me excited. As for old-school GH, Fist of Fury.

Shaw Brothers:

I've had to think about this for a while, but I think my favorite is New Shaolin Boxers. I love this movie so much! And it stars Fu Sheng, which is always a plus.

Independent:

Does Seasonal count? If so, Snake in the Eagle's Shadow. If not, Daggers 8.

I don't have just one favorite.But I can help you out with your list.Try to get ahold of Eagle' claws The Victim,Pedicab driver,operation scorpio, and kid from kwangtung.

Probably "Shogun Assassin" which as most here probably know is a reedit of a couple "Lone Wolf and Cub" films with an overdub narration.

I love Bruce Lee films, I love Shaw Brothers but when it comes to wall to wall "Kung Fu Theater" I don't think anything beats "Shogun Assassin."

I have 2 favorites. Prodigal Son and Dirty Ho. They are my favorites cause of the fight scenes and story, etc. Something about those 2 just appeals to me more than all the other films that I have seen. 

Golden Harvest:

Probably Iron Monkey from 1993. Just thinking about this movie gets me excited. As for old-school GH, Fist of Fury.

Shaw Brothers:

I've had to think about this for a while, but I think my favorite is New Shaolin Boxers. I love this movie so much! And it stars Fu Sheng, which is always a plus.

Independent:

Does Seasonal count? If so, Snake in the Eagle's Shadow. If not, Daggers 8.

Golden Harvest: 

Fist of Fury 

Shaw Bros:

King Boxer 

Independent:

Legend of A Fighter 

I have 2 favorites. Prodigal Son and Dirty Ho. They are my favorites cause of the fight scenes and story, etc. Something about those 2 just appeals to me more than all the other films that I have seen.

Prodigal son was a great movie

Here are my Favorite  Classic Kung Fu Movie when i was young and went ever Saturday to movie  to watch Kung Fu Movies

Posted 23 Jan 2012 · Report post

Here's part of my collection. I'll attach an updated list once I get home.

5 Superfighters

7 Grandmaste

Return of The Dragon

Enter the Dragon

Bells of Death

Chinese Conection

Five Kung Fu Daredevil Heroes

Four Invincibles

Half a Loaf of Kung Fu

Kung Fu Hellcats

Seven Steps of Kung Fu

Return to 36th Chamber

Shaolin Temple Strikes Back

Shaolin VS Lama

Shaolin VS Ninja

Shaolin VS Taichi

Shaolin VS Wu Tang

The 36 Crazy Fists

The 36th Chamber

5 Fingers Of Death

Flying Guillotine

Shaolin Mantis

Invincible Shaolin

Mad Monkey Kung Fu

The Avenger Eagle

The Eight Diagram Pole Fighter

Shaolin Challengers Ninja

Flying Guillotine

Kid with the golden Arm

The Victim

Mantis Vs Eagle Claw

the Buddha Assassinator

Jade Claw

Thought I'd blow the dust of this thread. How can a discussion like this one, stay dormant for so long?. I know a lot of thread's lost pages of content, during the forum black-out's a few year's ago. This topic no doubt suffered a similar fate?.

Hard to pick just one but if I had to it would be Warriors 2,having not long seen this(again)it’s still a joy to watch and for me it’s better than anything Chan and Lau Kar Leung we’re putting out and that’s saying something 👍👍👍

Archived