The Five Venoms

The Kid With the Golden Arm

Invincible Shaolin

Flag of Iron

Crippled Avengers

Shaolin Rescuers

Two Champions of Shaolin

The Brave Archer series

They always add such a special touch to any of the films that they appear in.

I'm quite fond of -

The Brave Archer 1-3

Shaolin Temple (1976)

Ten Tigers From Kwantung

(Kuo Chui is great in all of his roles. Lu Feng is a great villain, but I love his portrayal of a good guy in Ten Tigers and his beggar in Brave Archer 2.)

Something like this:

1 CRIPPLED AVENGERS

2 INVINCIBLE SHAOLIN

3 KID WITH THE GOLDEN ARM

4 THE DAREDEVILS

5 MAGNIFICENT RUFFIANS

6 TWO CHAMPIONS OF SHAOLIN.

The three best, hands down:

MAGNIFICENT RUFFIANS

TWO CHAMPIONS OF SHAOLIN

CRIPPLED AVENGERS

For me, it's these films that made me love those dudes.

Out of what I've seen....Crippled Avengers, Invincible Shaolin, Shaolin Rescuers (VASTLY underrated IMO), Five Deadly Venoms, Masked Avengers.....I still REALLY nee to see Magnificent Ruffians.

Even if 'The Five Venoms' film is not listed as one of your favorites, no one can deny the beginning to this film, the word "classic" does not do it justice.

Venom-AF.jpg

shaolin swords

abbot i agree with you 100% the opening scene on 5 deadly venoms cant be put into words 1 of my fav opening scenes in a movie all praise to the venoms :smile:rockon

If I had to pick one it'd probably be Sword Stained With Royal Blood. Some of the best shapes work ever committed to film in this one.

the 5 deadly venoms as it opend the door for to the kung fu movie world....i own every film by the clan....

Morgoth Bauglir

Shaolin Rescuers, followed by Golden Arm, Crippled Avengers and Brave Archer 3.

Omni Dragon
Shaolin Rescuers, followed by Golden Arm, Crippled Avengers and Brave Archer 3.

That reminds me I've been meaning to watch SHAOLIN RESCUERS & the BRAVE ARCHER series but probably after my white haired master phase(i been watching whm films a lot)

shaolin swords

very true 5 deadly venoms is where it all starts for me that and gordon liu

the 5 deadly venoms as it opend the door for to the kung fu movie world....i own every film by the clan....

MaskedAvenger

It is difficult for me to choose but I have to go with Crippled Avengers, Masked Avengers, 5 Deadly Venoms & Kid With The Golden Arm.

It is difficult for me to choose but I have to go with Crippled Avengers, Masked Avengers, 5 Deadly Venoms & Kid With The Golden Arm.

I agree! would add flag of iron though

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Resurrecting an old thread, as the Venoms are my favorite Shaw Brothers performers. This is a modification of a post from KFC Forums.

Five Deadly Venoms (Lu and Kuo all the way...) …lots of fun and I enjoyed the mystery. Seems like the dying master sending his youngest, good pupil to stop his evil seniors was nipped from the Deadly Duo - completely works for me. I was stunned to find out that twenty something Dick Wei played the dying master. For a make up geek like me, that was kind of embarrassing, but it’s a fantastic age make up considering how little there was to it. I am getting to really dig those long wispy beards too.) I cannot wait to see this theatrically.

Life Gamble (I love everything Kwok Choy, Lu and Lo do in this. This is really Kwok Choy's movie and I would have loved a prequel or sequel with his character. The women are great and well developed here too. Shaung Shaung was pretty neat (and her Betty Boop make up was a very interesting look.) This is one of the single most satisfying films I’ve seen in awhile. I get to know every character no matter how large or small their part is and I wasn’t lost. Large casts often trip me up, but everyone was so well defined here. I have no desire to see the remake.

Cripple Avengers Still loving it, but the more I watch the more I really enjoy Lo Meng and Chiang Shang over everyone else.

Brave Archer 2 Lo and Lu are terrific; Lo’s blustery Iron Palm chief is so much fun, Lu’s Elder Lao of the Beggar Clan was delightful. He was so much fun and I like seeing Lu in a rare good guy performance.

The Daredevils - This is fantastic. A good simple story and excellent acting / fights to back it up. Bummed to see Lo Meng die so early on yet again, but the street acrobat moments were delightful. I also like that Lu and Sun seemed to be winking at the roles they were often cast in (Lu as a smug, wealthy baddie and Sun as some kind of devious academic / authority / scholar.) A wonderful film.

Magnificent Ruffians Another simple story with a strong payoff. The end fight is brilliant. I think it’s fantastic that Lu invented the Guan Dao moves here - I could watch his weapons work all darn day.

Shaolin Rescuers (the braid of death yay! Strong performances all around here. Sun Chien and Lo Meng stood out with Lu.

Brave Archer 3 I could watch Sun Chien play a fu-centric scholar all day. He was delightful. And I really like when fans are used as weapons. Lo just cracks me up. He’s a great villain, love the Iron Palm.

Legend of the Fox when Lu and Kuo are doing the WuXia chivalry sword battle and polite moments, I loved the heck out of this film. I could watch them sword fight and be upstandingly respectful to each other for a couple of hours no problem. The editing with their days long battle was a little disappointing, but nothing like when the film stops short to describe the whole mess with the King of the Poisons clan. The young lead was pretty good, but as with most latter Venoms films, when the originals are not involved, I zone out.

Kid with the Golden Arm - comic book kung fu. This was one of the very few Kung Fu films that stuck in my memory for decades (a few parts of it anyway.) The English dub is priceless, but I love it with the Chinese dub too. I never quite understood why they call Hai Tao the Sheriff of Thousand Faces, I suppose they meant moods. I liked Lu’s press on old man make up too, makes me think Opera. His character always was a little slow in regard to Hai Tao though. And his death scene with Chiang is pretty funny.

Brave Archer - Dick Wei steals the first BA for me. I was so bummed when Lu Feng was killed off early in and Lo did not have too much to do either. But of the Venoms, this is one the Brave Archer movie where I like Philip Kwok’s Old Naughty Guy (the Pope’s brother.)

Sword Stained with Royal Blood Very soap opera-like but outside of Candy Wen pretending to be a boy, I enjoy this.)I quite like Lu’s Uncle Nan and his creepy back story._

Invincible Shaolin Some of the training sequences go on for longer than they should have, but I liked seeing everyone play the hero. I am not a big fan of this as many folks are and that's fine.

Flag of Iron Lu steals this movie. His performance is so much fun. He keeps blowing me away each time I rewatch a film. It’s especially nice to pick up a little nuance of character. For instance, here when he and Kuo and Chiang greet their Master, Lu gives only the slightest nod of his head unlike his cohorts. I want more flag fu though.

Two Champions of Shaolin Pretty good, with a stand out performance by Lu Feng. He was so good at being a bad guy here.

Masked Avengers The trident usage is very brutal, I can handle it but I am still not sure where I stand with this one.

House of Traps The costumes cracked me up. I was expecting something more gruesome given the house though. Not bad.

Rebel Intruders (When money permits and I feel like risking gray market copies, I’ll seek out a copy in Mandarin.)

Ten Tigers of Kwangtung. I have to give this one another chance, but like the other Venoms films with younger leads I tend to zone when the Venoms or Ti etc. are not on screen.

Ode to Gallantry. My least favorite. As much as I enjoy Philip Kwok, I think a dual role was overkill here.

Somehow I am not surprised you would pick Masked Avengers!! :coveredlaugh

So far my favorite is Crippled Avengers, but I haven't seen them all.

Iron_Leopard

Not a huge Venoms fan but if I had to pick a favorite it would be "Masked Avengers". 

Archived