Circa 1970's MA Adverts from Comics

Jadedragon61

I have been meaning to post these for some time: the following is a collection (some trolled from the Net, some my own scans) of various and sundry Martial Arts advertisements from comic books of the 1970's.

Really, these are an interesting sub-genre! From the serious and reputable, all the way down to the pathetically funny.

I start with the best-known of the bunch - the one and only Count Dante! This guy was actually a very competent Martial Artist, although a very wild character, as well. One of my previous instructors trained with Dante (aka John Keehan), and passed some of those techniques on to me.

However this classic ad comes off, from all I've heard, the Count was no one to fool with!

post-97-144199713621_thumb.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next up is Toyotaro Miyazaki, a leading Shotokan stylist and was the kick-boxing coach of WKA lightweight champ Paul Vizzio. A very reputable guy. I should have ordered one of these and never did... :angry

post-97-144199713625_thumb.jpg

And now we plunge into the stoopid

Who is this man? proclaims the ad. I think he's some jackass wanna be, but, then again, whoever said I know a backfist from bullspit?

When I was a kid, the guys in the Karate class used to read this ad to each other and scream with laughter -

"...the Oriental ART of ISTANTANEOUS DEATH that is applied with NO Bodily Contact..." ?!

Must be using wicked farts :dull

post-97-144199713635_thumb.jpg

Archived