The Proud Twins (1979)

SMK

[thumbnail=float-left]http://hkmdb.com/db/images/movies/6007/ProudTwins+1979-2-b.jpg[/thumbnail]For those registered members here, you may remember this movie, The Proud Twins, being featured in the Chamber Cinema back in the beginning of June. I screened the IVL remastered DVD with the original English dub. This version was made possible by ADC member "moonkey".

Even though I featured the film at that time, I had not yet seen it for myself, that is until this week. I must say, it most definitely has a strange feeling to it, but in a good way. I loved the scenery and fantasy elements to the film, but most importantly, the role played by Fu Sheng. I did watch the English dub version, and everything seem to fit just right, another classic Shaw Brothers dub. This is not a review of the film of course, I just wanted to state that I watched and liked it.

What do you guys think of the film, like it or not, please leave a comment stating what you think of it. Thanks.

• Like 2

It may come as no surprise, but I love this movie! It's loaded with great characters, both heroes and villains, it has practically non-stop action by Tong Gai and it features great comedy too. I almost wish Chor Yuen had done more of the false perspective set design, like you see in the village of the merchants, as it gave an added touch of "other worldly-ness" to the fantastical story line. It's well balanced with both men and women being represented as good and bad characters. The Proud Twins (1979) was one of Fu Sheng's biggest hits and highest grossing films of his career which showcased his great comedic talents.

Our own Betty Pei Ti has pointed out that a brief clip from The Proud Twins is used in The Spirit of the Sword (1982)/

Think I'll go watch it again right now!

proudtwins1.jpg

Fu Sheng and Ng Wai Kwok.

• Like 2

I watched The Proud Twins for the first time last night. I'd got a lobby card of the movie hanging on the wall in the kitchen and it was good to finally see it. It was very enjoyable with many characters appearing like most Wu Xia pian. It does have the late Shaw goofiness with too many fake sets and worst of all, the fake sky! But, overall, it was great. Fu Sheng was as enjoyable as ever.

• Like 3

Iron_Leopard

I'm watching this right now for the first time. I know it has a big fanbase but I'm just not that I to it. Its sillier than most Yuen movies and I'm sure a lot of that is because of Fu Sheng. 

I think I'm just not a fan of goofy comedy in Shaws. This is why I didn't care for "Shaolin Prince" and a lot of Lau Kar Leung movies. 

I've come to really like Candy Wen though. She made this and "Swordsman and Enchantress " watchable for me.

• Like 3

I haven't seen this movie in over a decade, but loved it very much. Fu Sheng captured the essence of Xiao Yu Er well from The Handsome Siblings novel. 

• Like 3