Sonny Chiba

Guest rederror

Guest rederror

Well i've never seen any of this man' s movies but i just saw a clip of The Street Fighter on Youtube. Does he always pull a ridiculous amount of silly faces?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DragonClaws

• Cognoscente

• KUNG FU BOB

• waywardsage

Guest Tosh

Well, that's his Bruce Lee imitation:b , Chiba was Japan's answer to Bruce, but the man's career really stands on it's own, most of his movies may be to expliotive for some peoples tastes, but hey, it was the 70's. He's as hard hitting kickass as anyone that's ever graced the screen.

Guest Daisho2004

Tosh, you know that Sonny Chiba and Bruce Lee were suppose to do a movie together but Bruce died and it never happened.

Anyway Sonny Chiba is the Man, his Japanese movies are some of the best around. Where his most famous roles are that of Yagyu Jubie.

Guest venomchamber

I thought Bruce Lee was supposed to do the film opposite Yasuaki Kurata with the participation of the JAC (the Japan Action Club)- Chiba's stunt team consisting of himself, Kenji Ohba, and Estsuko Shiomi among others.

Since Master Lee passed away, Kurata went ahead with the project anyways and turned it into a short-lived television series entitled "FIGHT! DRAGON!" in 1974 with Yang Sze.

Correct me if I am mistaken?

Cheers!

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

I just had the pleasure of watching the remastered UK release of "The Streetfighter". Having only previously watched the old dubbed US vhs release many years ago. I havent had that much fun watchin a flick in a long time! Chiba is a riot in that film, the greatest anti-hero of all time!! One of the absolute best genre films ever made. I would even go as far to say Chiba is (imo) one of the top five performers in ma film history. Hell, maybe the top all around performer! From Jubei Yagyu, Hattori Hanzo to Mas Oyama, he's done about all that can be done in the genre (over 125 films). Including some stellar non ma film performances. Look at his freaking resume.

I thought Bruce Lee was supposed to do the film opposite Yasuaki Kurata with the participation of the JAC (the Japan Action Club)- Chiba's stunt team consisting of himself, Kenji Ohba, and Estsuko Shiomi among others

In the early 70s, Chiba was set to co-star in a feature film production with Bruce Lee and George Lazenby. Unfortunately, the moment Chiba's plane landed in Hong Kong to start production, the news of Lee's untimely death forced the producers to shut-down the ill-fated project.(from IMDB)

He was also the real deal:

2nd-Dan Blackbelt in Jûdô

4th-Dan Blackbelt in Ninjutsu

1st-Dan Blackbelt in Kendô

1st-Dan Blackbelt in Shôrinji Kenpô

Guest Monkey King 2000

Having never seen a Sonny Chiba film I am very curious to see the man in action. Which film would you suggest I start with. I am a Kung Fu film fan (Shaw Brothers, Seasonal films and Golden Harvest) and never thought I would stray from just watching Kung FU, but having watched and really liked Hapkido I am keen to watch some different styles. I was tempted to buy the Killing Machine, as the action sounded good. If anyone has any advice it would be really appreciated.

Guest Daisho2004

Oh man, this is a really hard one to answer, because Sonny Chiba is just plain Awesome, are you looking for a more modern Action movie than I'd say start with the Street Fighter series, I really only liked pt's #1&2 the best. But then you can get into his Ninja movies the are just Awesome so its really a matter of your taste, let us know and will give you some more titles to choose from.

Guest Monkey King 2000

Daisho2004 thanks for the reply, I thought this question may have been asked before so I went through the posts and found another post about Sonny Chiba. A few people said that Killing machine was there favourite film and I found a good copy at a good price (£4.89) so I just decided to get this is. If I enjoy it I will probably be back for more suggestions. Not sure Street Fighter would be my kind of film (also not really into modern setting films), however, it is probably a film you have to see with all the hype around it. I did not realise he did Ninja films (although I think I have seen recently he did a lot of films), I have never seen a proper Ninja film and so maybe worth looking at in the future.

Guest Daisho2004

Monkey King 2000, his Ninja films are by far the best around, when he portrays Yagyu Jubie he is just plain awesome in those films. BCI just released a box set of his "The Shadow Warriors" Great box set, a must own for any collection.

• Administrator

Wasn't sure where to post this, and upon doing a search I thought- I'll get this thread going again. January 23rd (I missed the actual day by five minutes due to working late) was/is Shinich "Sonny" Chiba's 73rd birthday. Happy Bithday Chiba-san! We love you man. :bigsmile: No one can ever do what you have done or replace you in the film industry. Truly a unique, talented, super cool dude!

I haven't watched THE STREETFIGHTER in a while (oh, okay... so it's probably only been more like a few days... :wink:) so it's time to throw it in the player.

Chibasan is the man! I highly recommend his Karate Trilogy. He kicks so much ass in those films, I could barely keep up with the body count.