Just informed about a sad issue... No Star Trek for SMK?

nectarsis

Our own abbot Ray has NEVER seen any of Star Trek....not one ep from any of the series!!!!

I think it would be fun to have any fans list MUST see episodes from the various series to start him toward redemption :cool:thumbsup

*Sorry brother I had to* :devil:rockon

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Persdonally I'd start with the first couple of eps (after the pilot The Cage (orig/rejected )or Where No Man Has Gone Before (second pilot)). Of course any of the Terran Empire eps, and Nazi eps are MUST sees IMO.

I will probably begin my "trek" this weekend. I will report back on what I thought of what I watch.

Jadedragon61

Yeah, SMK, Star Trek is great. I only really know the OS, New Gen, and Deep Space 9, but I recommend them highly. Especially, the original series.

In fact, now that I think about it, some dude wrote a book "Everything I needed to know I learned from Star Trek", and it was pretty good.

Got a text from my daughter the other night about midnight. She's 10, by the way, and was spending the night at gramma's with her sister and cousin. She couldn't sleep; someone had woken her up and there was talk of zombies.

"Download the TV.com app from the App Store," I texted since she uses an iPod Touch to text. "You can watch Price Is Right on it, and what is less scary than that?" I gave her our account password for the first time and warned her (truthfully thanks to iCloud Beta) "Everything you download will show up on my iPhone."

About three minutes later I got this text: "Thank you soooo much. But can I watch this show Star Trek instead?"

Watch'em in order and if you can, watch the "remastered" ones.

Jadedragon61
Got a text from my daughter the other night about midnight. She's 10, by the way, and was spending the night at gramma's with her sister and cousin. She couldn't sleep; someone had woken her up and there was talk of zombies.

"Download the TV.com app from the App Store," I texted since she uses an iPod Touch to text. "You can watch Price Is Right on it, and what is less scary than that?" I gave her our account password for the first time and warned her (truthfully thanks to iCloud Beta) "Everything you download will show up on my iPhone."

About three minutes later I got this text: "Thank you soooo much. But can I watch this show Star Trek instead?"

Watch'em in order and if you can, watch the "remastered" ones.

Your daughter has good sense - in fact, for a 10 year old, I'd say great sense!

Our own abbot Ray has NEVER seen any of Star Trek....not one ep from any of the series!!!!

I think it would be fun to have any fans list MUST see episodes from the various series to start him toward redemption :cool:thumbsup

*Sorry brother I had to* :devil:rockon

Hey how is this quest going? If you want Abbot, I can put together a top 5 must see episode list for each show to reduce netflix que.

Hey how is this quest going? If you want Abbot, I can put together a top 5 must see episode list for each show to reduce netflix que.

That would be great massa_yoda, I would appreciate that my friend. :clappinghands

The Original Series (1966-1969): You have some 60's cheese here, but the stories can be very strong and still relevant today. This was the hardest show to narrow to five...so I gave bonus picks!

1. Journey to Babel (Season 2, ep. 10): The episode has it all, story, characters, action. Very exciting stuff even today. You really get into the ins and outs of The Federation and you see Spock's father Sarek for the first time. Their relationship here is paralleled in the new Star Trek (2009).

2. The City on the Edge of Forever (1.25): Best use of time travel in all of Trekdom. Suspension of disbelief in a few parts, but such is the case when dealing with time travel.

3. The Trouble with Tribbles (2.15): The most famous episode in all of Trek.

4. Mirror, Mirror (2.4): The mirror universe, with goatee Spock! Deep Space 9 spent a whopping 5 episodes continuing the story arc of this universe.

5. The Enterprise Incident (3.2): Exciting episode with the crew of the Enterprise attempting to steal a clocking device from a Romulan ship. Best thing about season 3.

BONUS PICKS: The Enemy Within 1.5 (Kirk splits into two Kirks, good and bad, but this isn't as one-dimensional as you might think), Balance of Terror 1.14 (Enterprise verses Romulan ship, and yes that is the same actor who plays Spock's dad), Space Seed 1.22 (the famous character Khan is introduced here), and Amok TIme 2.1(Vulcan mythology explored).

The Next Generation (1987-1994): I grew up with this show, it's my favorite, even though it stumbled out of the gate. Seasons 3-7 is simply the best television out there.

1. The Inner Light (5.25): Best show ever.

2. The Best of Both Worlds Parts 1 & 2 (3.26/4.1): Star Trek's most famous villain, the Borg, launch an attack on Starfleet. Has the best cliffhanger ending of ALL TIME!!!

3. Yesterday's Enterprise (3.15): The Enterprise-C goes forward in time 22 years and changes history.

4. Darmok (5.2): Picard is trapped on a planet with an alien whose language is impossible to translate. Students do their College Dissertations on this episode.

5. Tapestry (6.15): Q (a playful, omnipotent alien who pops in a lot in the show) gives Picard a choice on his deathbed. It's a Wonderful Life, Star Trek style.

Bonus Pick:

6. All Good Things...(7.25): Series Finale. Q concludes his trial (started in the series premiere) against humanity. Best Series finale of any series.

Deep Space 9 (1992-1999): This show is hard to pick because seasons 3-7 were one giant story arc, The Dominion War. As such, I've kept these picks in chronological order as the story and characters evolve.

1. Duet (1.19)

2. Necessary Evil (2.8)

3. The Way of the Warrior (4.1): Feature-length episode starts a season-long story arc about the klingons. Also, this is when Worf joins DS9.

4. The Visitor (4.2): Another good time travel episode, very emotional and powerful story.

5. In the Pale Moonlight (6.19): In the thick of the Dominion War, this is a stand-alone story about trying to get the Romulans involved in the war. Just amazing.

Voyager (1995-2001): Interesting premise, but this show really should have been much darker than it was.

1. Caretaker (1.1): Series Premiere. The best opening of any Trek. Lots of good character moments, pretty exciting stuff.

2. Death Wish (2.18): The return of Q; explores the right-to-die for omnipotent beings. The consequences of this story continue on in later Voyager episodes.

3. Flashback (3.2): The return of Captain Sulu! This is a companion story to Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. They get almost the entire crew back for this adventure on the USS Excelsior. Awesome and exciting.

4. Timeless (5.6): Another time travel, but very well done and fresh. Two characters try to undue a mistake that destroyed Voyager.

5. Dark Frontier Part 1 & 2 (5.15/16): A strong Borg episode. Explores 7 of 9's childhood and assimilation.

Enterprise (2001-2005): First three seasons of this prequel series are just okay, but season four was outstanding, making lots of connections to the other shows.

1. Babel One (4.12): Part one of three-part arc involving a faceless enemy trying to destroy the relationships between alien races and prevent the Federation from forming. Sort of prequel to Journey to Babel.

2. United (4.13): Part 2 of arc

3. The Aenar (4.14): Part 3 of arc

4/5. In a Mirror, Darkly 1 & 2 (4.18/19): Prequel to Mirror, Mirror. Absolutely brilliant, with lots of threads and homages. A perfect way to end your exploration of Star Trek!

WOW!!!!!!! Now that's a list! :clappinghands

I appreciate you taking the time to put this together, I will most certainly take your suggestions and recommendations seriously, and watch these precise shows FOR SURE!

Thank you! :thumbsup

Archived