The Best Of Tony Jaa

SMK

Originally posted in the 'Daily FuTube Showcase' on 4/7/11

{TEXT1}Thanks to Athena for sharing this link on Facebook. This is a highlight reel, a montage, compilation of the some of the very best moves, flips, knee kicks, and overall awesomeness of martial arts film legend Tony Jaa.

{TEXT1}2:55 (No CGI here)

To view previously "showcased" videos, please visit the Daily FuTube Showcase Archive.

If you have any Martial Arts related videos that have not yet been featured, you can place the YouTube video in the 'Videos' section, in the Martial Arts Related sub-forum.

Thank You.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had heard of Tony Jaa but hadn't seen his films. I'll have to change that because I found out he has the same birthday as me!!

Here's an updated clip of an interview in English

and here is a kick ass clip of him for real on a Korean show!

legendarycurry

I have seen all of Tony Jaa's major films from Thailand, and enjoyed most of them though his most recent Thai actioners ong bak 3 and TMYG2 were in my opinion very lackluster. I

have read good things about his work in SPL 2 though so I hope he is back to quality action films. Out of the films of his that I have seen I would say Ong Bak 2: The beginning is my favorite, he shows of a more varied style of fighting and appears a bit more vulnerable, taking actual damage and taking part in exchanges rather than just demolishing foes easily without little opposion as seen in the fist Ong Bak for example.

Secret Executioner

Got a few of Tony Jaa's movies - the Ong-Bak trilogy, the two Tom-Yum-Goong and a 1996 movie called Battle Warrior where he apparently only has a cameo (it was released during the Ong-Bak craze to cash in on Jaa's major breakout). Need to watch them, but what I've seen of him (and a lot of Thai action) is pretty impressive. :thumbsup

He needs to make sure to keep good direction and guidance. He was great under Panna, but when he struck out on his own he couldn't deal with it mentally and the movies suffered.

Guest Anonymous

I am not sure I am going to like his Hollywood films he has been in. I hope he only makes awesome movies and does not start being cast as an extra or side note in American films.

Donnie Yen tried it but never got anywhere. Best to keep making badass movies in Asia and having the movies exported over here. That is why Jackie Chan got so huge, it took awhile but it happened and only late in life did Jackie Make crap films like The Tuxedo and other dumb stuff. But he already established himself.

Tony Jaa needs to collaborate with people like Eku Uwais an Donnie Yen. I was thinking they should make a really awesome martial arts "Expendibles" style of film with all the top martial arts guys in one film as a super force of warriors!

He needs to make sure to keep good direction and guidance. He was great under Panna, but when he struck out on his own he couldn't deal with it mentally and the movies suffered.

What happened? I think it could be hard to cope with fame and deal with training physically at the level you would for the types of films he does, and do exhibitions.

I put more of the blame on Sahamongkolfilms than Jaa, yes Jaa bit off more than he could chew trying to direct his own film, and probably had to many yes men around him, but why does it take 3 years to make a martial arts film and still can't get it edited smoothly? 2-3 years to make TYG 2 and it's still unwatchable? Come on Shaw Bros actors were churning out 4 to 6 movies a year!

I need to watch it again but I really didn't thing Ong Bak 3 was that bad, I think they made a mistake throwing away the revenge plot and focusing on the crow character. I've been meaning to view all 3 in a row at some point.

There's a scene in Ong Bak 2 where Jaa faces off between 2 Muay Thai fighters, there are some great exchanges in that fight, that's what I want to see from Jaa.

Real shame he didn't do the period piece The Sword about Krabi-Kabong.

Guest Anonymous
I put more of the blame on Sahamongkolfilms than Jaa, yes Jaa bit off more than he could chew trying to direct his own film, and probably had to many yes men around him, but why does it take 3 years to make a martial arts film and still can't get it edited smoothly? 2-3 years to make TYG 2 and it's still unwatchable? Come on Shaw Bros actors were churning out 4 to 6 movies a year!

I need to watch it again but I really didn't thing Ong Bak 3 was that bad, I think they made a mistake throwing away the revenge plot and focusing on the crow character. I've been meaning to view all 3 in a row at some point.

There's a scene in Ong Bak 2 where Jaa faces off between 2 Muay Thai fighters, there are some great exchanges in that fight, that's what I want to see from Jaa.

Real shame he didn't do the period piece The Sword about Krabi-Kabong.

I personally think it makes no sense to make a modern story and then make sequels that are prequels set in ancient times with stories that have 0 to do with the original movie. I find it annoying. Why didnt he just make 2 ancient muay thai movies in themselves and leave the original alone? Or make a modern sequel to the first one? At least The Protector films were set in the same time.

He should not have done movies like Skin Trade I heard it was awful.

ShaOW!linDude

You're probably right. I think he bit off more than he could chew, too. As far as the time frame, the choreography was worked out and rehearsed prior to filming as had been done with Ong Bak and Tom Yum Goong/The Protector, which I think is why those films are so good. Jaa's vision for Ong Bak 2 had to be broken into 2 films in order to salvage all he had shot and complete the story.

As far as The Protector 2 goes, the idea to go 3D was what absolutely wrecked that film. Bits of the choreography and certain stunts were crafted solely for that purpose, and rather than enhancing the action, it was a huge distraction to it.

I don't think Ong Bak 3 is all that bad either, but I'm in the minority there. I usually watch Ong Bak 2 & 3 back to back. I think I enjoy it more that way. Action-wise, it doesn't quite compare to OB2, but I'd sooner watch it than The Protector 2 any day.

ShaOW!linDude
I personally think it makes no sense to make a modern story and then make sequels that are prequels set in ancient times with stories that have 0 to do with the original movie. I find it annoying. Why didnt he just make 2 ancient muay thai movies in themselves and leave the original alone? Or make a modern sequel to the first one? At least The Protector films were set in the same time.

He should not have done movies like Skin Trade I heard it was awful.

I think Ong Bak 2 & 3 are prequels in name only, though I have a theory how they are tied to the first one.

I haven't seen it yet myself, but I've heard only good things about Skin Trade.

Guest Anonymous

I think Ong Bak 2 & 3 are prequels in name only, though I have a theory how they are tied to the first one.

I haven't seen it yet myself, but I've heard only good things about Skin Trade.

Maybe they are mystically linked to Ong Bak one through some reincarnation story line.

I just heard from various people who were talking on youtube about it that Skin Trade wasnt very good.

Originally posted in the 'Daily FuTube Showcase' on 4/7/11

{TEXT1}Thanks to Athena for sharing this link on Facebook. This is a highlight reel, a montage, compilation of the some of the very best moves, flips, knee kicks, and overall awesomeness of martial arts film legend Tony Jaa.

{TEXT1}2:55 (No CGI here)

Thank You.

Here's a music vid tribute

Archived