Broken Oath (1977)

Guest will91XingYu

I did some digging in another forum ("Asian dvd guide") and found in one of their threads dating back to 2006 that after a few pages of discussion the conclusion is that the latest version on the Fortune Star dvd (the subplot of the mother seducing her jailer in order to get pregnant) is cut. It sounds like 5 to 7 minutes were cut.

Does anyone know if it was ever released in its complete version (maybe in another country)?

According to this print on the link nowhere is it mentioned that Angela Mao's character is illegitimate and even the killers are referring to her as General Liu's daughter.Remember that these killers used to be the General's close allies so they know a lot about the family situation.

thelastweaponmaster

Hi Kwok Choi;

Regarding your last point that the killers are referring to Mao's character as General Liu's daughter, I don't think they would be aware that the mother would had gone to the extreme of getting pregnant by the jailer in order to exact her revenge. They would had just assume that she was the General's daughter.

Doesn't anyone out there have the full original version of this movie to confirm this point?

Thanks.

Hi Kwok Choi;

Regarding your last point that the killers are referring to Mao's character as General Liu's daughter, I don't think they would be aware that the mother would had gone to the extreme of getting pregnant by the jailer in order to exact her revenge. They would had just assume that she was the General's daughter.

Doesn't anyone out there have the full original version of this movie to confirm this point?

Thanks.

Hi Thelastweaponmaster, this is a very good and valid point :wink: but what would the authorities have to say or those who know about this incident in the jail,have to say about their " offspring " wrecking so much havoc and commotion that almost destabilises the incumbent regime.Someone definitely would have spilled the beans because at some stage there would be a lot at stake which would prevent people from keeping quite about the real identify of Angela Mao if it would help prevent unnecessary conflict and I wouldn't buy the idea that everyone at the jail who knew are dead.

Are these subtitles altered just to give us a different movie on dvd ?

I assume that the subs were later written or at least worked over. According to my girlfriend, a native Mandarin speaker, they are a fairly accurate representation of the original dialogue. Yee Mei, the mother, says to the prison overseer with a slightly seductive facial expression: ่ฆ ้  ไฝ ็…ง้กพไบ†(... "I need you to take care of me"). Later, when she talks about her pregnancy to her friend (โ€œThousand Handsโ€) after dropping the basket full of rocks she first laughs hysterically before the starts to sobb. The scene simply conveys the feeling that by being pregnant she reached her final goal. And I for one believe it was INTENDED to convery exactly that.

But what we should keep in mind in regard to references of the mother to her fellow inmates about her daughter avenging her โ€œfatherโ€ or her โ€œparentsโ€ (i.e. the Liu family) is, as I already pointed out, the total loss of face, the โ€œshamefullnessโ€ (like my girl phrased it) that would be attached to her if she would admit of being impregnated by anyone other than her husband.

It's interesting how everyone is bring this up. Anyway, anyone have access to the earlier dvd of the movie? I know for a while, there were clips from a full screen print dvd with Chinese/English subtitles (probably a bootleg) posted on Youtube. Anyone seen this dvd and could compare?

DESCRIPTION
I am new to the club, the Angela Mao Fan Club that is. I was never really a particularly huge fan of hers, that is until I recently viewed the masterpiece of a film that is, 'Broken Oath'. If you have NOT seen this movie yet, PLEASE do yourself a favor and WATCH IT, you will not regret it!

POINT OF INTEREST
0:49 โ€ข 2:09 โ€ข 2:53 โ€ข 3:23

ย 

ย 

Wow! I watched this movie for the first time, I'm blown away. This is going to have to get an immediate rewatch.

Didn't know this was a remake of Lady Snowblood till I read through the thread, for a Golden Harvest film I noticed this was more like an old Shaw movie from the 60's, just with outstanding Kung Fu, great sets, no stupid humor, man does Bruce Leung tear it up, and Angela is absolutely gorgeous, she kicks ass on all levels! Now I get the scorpion:angel:

I watched Broken Oath tonight..

Keeping this simple because I will definitely do a more in depth post about it in the near future.. I loved this movie. It's the first movie I've seen with Angela Mao as the lead, and she killed it in the fights, and acting. Cheng Chang-Ho is the man, and I have yet to see a movie that disappoints me by him...definitely a favorite director of mine.

• Like 1

I watched Broken Oath tonight..

Keeping this simple because I will definitely do a more in depth post about it in the near future.. I loved this movie. It's the first movie I've seen with Angela Mao as the lead, and she killed it in the fights, and acting. Cheng Chang-Ho is the man, and I have yet to see a movie that disappoints me by him...definitely a favorite director of mine.

Glad you liked it!

According to an interview with Bruce Leung Siu-Lung, he and Michael Chan Wai-Man improvised a bit of the choreography in their final showdown because the director wasn't quite sure how he wanted it to play out. It gave us some nice kicking from Leung, so I can't complain. :-)

• Like 1

Glad you liked it!

According to an interview with Bruce Leung Siu-Lung, he and Michael Chan Wai-Man improvised a bit of the choreography in their final showdown because the director wasn't quite sure how he wanted it to play out. It gave us some nice kicking from Leung, so I can't complain. :-)

No doubt that was an amazing fight, and the best performance I've seen from Bruce Leung, although I admittedly haven't seen a whole lot from him.

The Odd Couple is one I've wanted to see for a whole but haven't yet for some reason. Lau Kar Wong is a favorite of mine, and Sammo is a favorite of everyone's, so..it's gotta be great!

• Like 1

DragonClaws
No doubt that was an amazing fight, and the best performance I've seen from Bruce Leung, although I admittedly haven't seen a whole lot from him.

The Odd Couple is one I've wanted to see for a whole but haven't yet for some reason. Lau Kar Wong is a favorite of mine, and Sammo is a favorite of everyone's, so..it's gotta be great!

Broken Oath is one Golden Harvest title that has evaded me for years. The only footage Ive seen are the clips featured in The Best Of Martial Arts film. There's never been an official U.K release that I know of.

Hasimir Fenring
Broken Oath is one Golden Harvest title that has evaded me for years. The only footage Ive seen are the clips featured in The Best Of Martial Arts film. There's never been an official U.K release that I know of.

Joy Sales re-released it over in Hong Kong, which is the version I imported. YesAsia and DDDHouse look to have it in stock.

• Like 1

It's also in The Angela Mao Collection Shout! factory released.. Which I will be getting for a HQ version of this, and also because I haven't seen anything else on it... This movie alone would be worth it though, truly great.

• Like 1

Hasimir Fenring
It's also in The Angela Mao Collection Shout! factory released.. Which I will be getting for a HQ version of this, and also because I haven't seen anything else on it... This movie alone would be worth it though, truly great.

Just had a look at that one. Me likey. If I had the money, that'd be on its way. I have Broken Oath and The Himalayan already, plus there's a decent subtitled copy of When Taekwondo Strikes up on YouTube. Stoner I tried buying multiple times, only for it to either be OOP or my one and only order from Five Star Laser...

The other two I can't find acceptable copies of online. Either dubbed or unsubbed on the net. Plus there's the presence of Jimmy Wang Yu. Urk.

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I liked it better this time around. Nice to pick out some crazy fights and see the Lady Snowblood influences. Another great period Chan Wai Man villain too (old dog Zhao Cai who apparently never has goodย hair/beard days..) ย 

• Like 1

On 10/10/2015 at 9:47 AM, Lady Jin Szu-Yi said:

I liked it better this time around. Nice to pick out some crazy fights and see the Lady Snowblood influences. Another great period Chan Wai Man villain too (old dog Zhao Cai who apparently never has goodย hair/beard days..) ย 

This is the first and only lead role I have seen from Angela Mao, and I thought it was a great movie. She gets to show her skills off, and the story/plot are handled very well. Great job by Jeng Cheong-Woh.

ย 

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Like I need an excuse to watch one of my most favorite KF villains (Zhao Cai) being evil, under-handed and breaking hands... really though, this film boasts one of the best stories I've seen in martial arts films (revenge or otherwise.)ย  I really like that it moves past Lady Snowblood and throws in other nifty subplots (Imperial spies etc.) ย The aging make ups on the four baddies are excellent too.ย 

It's a very addictive film for me because I get so sucked into the world,ย universe once Jia Lian is an adult and Chan Wai Man is soooooooooooooooooooo great.ย 

Still bummed that Miss Angela Mao Ying did not have a longer fight against Chan Wai Man though, otherwise the choreography like everything else in this film, is very, very well done.ย 

• Like 3

Lady Jin Szu-Yi
2 hours ago, paimeifist said:

Jeng Cheong-Woh, Lady Jin, Jeng Cheong-Woh.

Why did Shaws have to force this master out?!

ย 

Xiexie, Paimeifist. He did a brilliantย job directing Broken Oath. I'm almost worried to ask how / why the Shaws forced him out?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Lady Jin Szu-Yi said:

Xiexie, Paimeifist. He did a brilliantย job directing Broken Oath. I'm almost worried to ask how / why the Shaws forced him out?

I'm not the most knowledgable on this, but I believe he felt his creativity was restricted due to their crazy time restraints and trying to always cash in on what's known to already work/exploitation etc. I may have even heard or read an interview where he implies this. My memory kinda sucks though. :/

I also believe I have read similar about King Hu.ย 

ย 

Id love to have some more knowledgable members throw their two cents in on this.

• Like 5

On 1/29/2016 at 7:12 AM, Lady Jin Szu-Yi said:

Like I need an excuse to watch one of my most favorite KF villains (Zhao Cai) being evil, under-handed and breaking hands... really though, this film boasts one of the best stories I've seen in martial arts films (revenge or otherwise.)ย  I really like that it moves past Lady Snowblood and throws in other nifty subplots (Imperial spies etc.) ย The aging make ups on the four baddies are excellent too.ย 

It's a very addictive film for me because I get so sucked into the world,ย universe once Jia Lian is an adult and Chan Wai Man is soooooooooooooooooooo great.ย 

Still bummed that Miss Angela Mao Ying did not have a longer fight against Chan Wai Man though, otherwise the choreography like everything else in this film, is very, very well done.ย 

It`s not worth of classic reputation in my opinion but after quite tedious 30 mins rest turned out to be damn fine flick. "multilple" main bad guys fight was done with style...

ย 

• Like 3

On 1/29/2016 at 7:12 AM, Lady Jin Szu-Yi said:

I'm glad that you enjoyed this one. Angela is great in it and the way she uses the scorpions is great too. One of her best movies and Bruce Liang was very good too in it.

• Like 4

Lady Jin Szu-Yi
3 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I'm glad that you enjoyed this one. Angela is great in it and the way she uses the scorpions is great too. One of her best movies and Bruce Liang was very good too in it.

Agreed. Leung Siu Lung was fantastic in this one.ย ย  I love Angela'sย little fight / exchange with Ko Cheng-Yu just before Chan Wai Man shows up and pretends to protect her. ย 

I had no idea that Tony Liu Jun-Guk was the lackey whom Leung Siu-Lung kills before he goes after the real big bads. Nice to keep learning about this film.

• Like 3

I was not sure when viewed 1st time is it really worth it`s reputation as classic. After revisit year+ later can say yes. Plot of girl wanting revenge for parents is nothing extraodrinary even as it has bit more than that. Great action scenes and Angela Mao makes it winner, she is very confident with punches, kicks and weapons. Also ~15 minutes end fight is really nicely choreographed and has some interesting elements like fire spitting villain and doppelgangers...

Should follow this with "hapkido" perhaps...

ย 

• Like 4