Broken Oath (1977)

Guest will91XingYu

This is a superior Kung fu movie, definitely up there with the best of all old schoolers. Love the 'scorpion fu' too! Athough the action doesn't really get going until the end. Bruce Liang looks so young! I rate it as far better than Lady Snowblood, despite the style being completely different

Just watched Jeng Cheong-Woh's (or Cheng Chang Ho's) BROKEN OATH starring the magnificent Angela Mao. The print released as part of Joy Sales Legendary Collection seems to be cut. There is a scene in the original trailer that's not in the movie where Angela's mum (played by Ho Mei) voluntarily drops her clothes in front of the prison officer. Actually there's one suggestive line still left in the movie that indicates that she acted the temptress here. So the assumption that her daughter (Angela that is) was the product of a rape doesn't hold. One of her father's assassins was about to bed her when she stabbed his eye out. It never really looked like they had sex before this incident. Boils down to the rรฉsumรฉ that her mother desired to get pregnant for the sole purpose to create an avenging monster! Which, to me, makes the merciless course of events that follow even chillier.

By the way, a fantastically plotted and directed affair, definitely one of my favourite AM movies and the usual unrestored but pretty workable Joy Sales print, too.

Guest Markgway

It's been a while... but wasn't Angie's mum supposed to be already pregnant (by her husband) before she's arrested.

There's an attempted rape but that's stopped by the eye-stabbing.

After the officer tells her that there's no escape off the prison island (sharks, etc) Angela's mum says to him with a somewhat tantalizing expression, "then it'll be all up to you to take care of me..."

And then watch the trailer, man!

Well, to me it didn't look like Angela's mother was already pregnant before the murder of her husband. And she wasn't raped either. After stabbing the assassins eye out in the bedroom she says to the guards that rush in that "he killed my husband and TRIED to rape me..."

Guest Markgway

Like I said it's been a while... but I always thought the story was about Angela avenging her murdered father not trying to kill him (ie. had he been a rapist). Angela's mum was probably trying to seduce the potential rapist so she could kill him herself. Trailers can be misleading and your reading of the text isn't the same as the one I remember.

thelastweaponmaster

I hate to date myself but I saw 'Broken Oath' when it was first released in our local Golden Harvest theatre in Vancouver, Canada. I seem to recall that Angela's mum in order to get revenge, had sexual relations with her captors in order to impregnate herself in the hope that her future child would grow up and avenge her family. So if the Fortune Star dvd release doesn't show the (sex) scenes where she seduces her captors, that would suggest to me something was cut.

I tried to check the plot line in Dr. Reid's recent "Ultimate Guide" but unfortunately the book for some reason, excluded most of Angela Mao's films and a lot of Golden Harvest's early martial arts films. A major omission I think.

@Markgway,

Think you misunderstood me. Of course the story was about Mao Ying avenging her father. And yes, she was trying to seduce the potential rapist in order to kill him. But my point was that she seduced the officer/overseeer at the prison island in order to become pregnant and have an avenger since, like she said, she knew she wouldn't leave the island alive - but the baby could! The quotes I posted are from the JS copy of the film and they're accurate. Don't know which copy you saw. In general I felt JS did a lil' better with the subs here than in other movies they recently reissued.

@Thelastweaponmaster,

Thank you for your insight, wished I had a chance to watch the version they showed back in the day. But the 'captors' you mention are not the four assassins but the jailers, at least that's how I interpreted it. In any event clearly a cut print!

Like I said it's been a while... but I always thought the story was about Angela avenging her murdered father not trying to kill him (ie. had he been a rapist). Angela's mum was probably trying to seduce the potential rapist so she could kill him herself. Trailers can be misleading and your reading of the text isn't the same as the one I remember.

This is correct Angela's mum was already preggers when her husband was killed.She did not get pregnated in prison by anyone and yes trailers do not always depict the final cut of the theatrical release print.

Angela's mum badly wanted revenge for her husband (stress husband) and herself so it would have been pointless to bear the child in those dire circumstances only for the child to undergo all that aggro and jeopardy in order to avenge the cruel,untimely and unjust murder of someone who was not her father.

thelastweaponmaster

Now I am confused. I could have sworn that Angela's mother was not yet pregnant when her husband was killed. What I thought was unique at that time was Angela's mother then wanting to get pregnant through intercourse with her jailers in order to have any chance for revenge.

Anyone else remember this? It sounds to me like the version on the Fortune Star dvd has been cut.

@thelastweaponmaster,

yes, that is exactly as I understood it - that she was NOT pregnant when her husband got killed. And she also speaks not of an actual, but of an ATTEMPTED rape after punching the guy's eye out... So my conclusion was that she got pregnant while in jail. Anyway, only the missing footage would clear it all up.

Now I am confused. I could have sworn that Angela's mother was not yet pregnant when her husband was killed. What I thought was unique at that time was Angela's mother then wanting to get pregnant through intercourse with her jailers in order to have any chance for revenge.

Anyone else remember this? It sounds to me like the version on the Fortune Star dvd has been cut.

Well the last time I saw the theatrical print was in the early 80s and this is a while but I do remember the plot.The print was subtitled not the english dub so it could be any of these versions.Watch the first 15 minutes of this clip.I don't know if this is the Fortune Star or Joy Sales copy but it might help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsaWRgtI7b8&feature=related

thelastweaponmaster

Thanks for the youtube reference, Kwok Choi. I watched it and I am pretty sure it is missing a few scenes in the wife's flashback. I believe the scene cut out is where it shows the wife seducing the jailer so that she would get pregnant in order to get her revenge. So I believe this scene and the related nudity was cut out.

Can anyone confirm if the Fortune Star version is missing these scenes? Thanks.

Thanks for the youtube reference, Kwok Choi. I watched it and I am pretty sure it is missing a few scenes in the wife's flashback. I believe the scene cut out is where it shows the wife seducing the jailer so that she would get pregnant in order to get her revenge. So I believe this scene and the related nudity was cut out.

Can anyone confirm if the Fortune Star version is missing these scenes? Thanks.

The point to note is that this issue is so crucial to the identity of the main star and box office draw of the movie ( Angela Mao) so why would anyone cut such a vital scene which is very very essential to the entire plot and motive of the main character.If the dvd company / censors were happy with the nudity of the " attempted rape"( well not actually an attempted rape per se but rather a ploy of submission to get revenge which turned sour ) then why would they omit the related nudity of the jailer seduction scene if that was the intention which is vital to the plot?

There is a possibility that a scene was cut but not in the flashback because there is no noticeable jump.The suspected cut for me would be between 05.24 & 05.25 but this is unlikely because it would mean the mother had sex that night and got pregnancy symptoms the following morning.It takes a while for this to start happening.

Also what about these subtitles.....

at last I have left a child for the Lui family (ie General Lui Dai Hung the husband)

her father died with his name uncleared ( which father? the Jailer ? )

Are these subtitles altered just to give us a different movie on dvd ?

This is debatable.

Yes, it is the Joy Sales print here. Go to 3.34 of the clip when she says that the guy ought to take "good care" of her. And then check the missing piece where she drops her drawers in front of HIM (same backdrops, same room) that's in the trailer... The edit kinda gives the story a different, somewhat less terrifying spin. Despite the mother saying on her deathbed that the daughter must avenge her 'parents', to me it seems pretty clear that she simply created her avenging angel.

@ Kwok Choi

A cut between 5.24 and 5.25, that's what I speculated too. Of course in front of her fellow inmates she would refer to her daughter's father as being General Lui Dai Hung (and not mention the real sperm doner). Plain old face-saving, not exactly an uncommon concept in Chinese culture.

Damn, if the film wasn't so devastatingly brilliant I wouldn't even think about these matters for a millisec...

Guest Markgway

If Sheng's theory happens to be right... well, then that's fucked up!! lol

A mother allows an evil guy to rape her to create a child (daughter) to kill her biological father and avenge a man she's never been related to. WTF??

BTW it takes something like 6-8 weeks for pregnancy symptoms to show and longer for visible signs.

thelastweaponmaster

I think the original storyline was after the mother is first put into prison and after her nightmares and conversation with the other lady (the pickpocket), there is a scene where the mother seduces the jailer (hinted at in the trailer but shown nowhere else in the cut print), and then the scene follows outside where she start showing pregnancy symptoms. So for whatever reason the film has been cut and subtitles revised accordingly.

I don't know if anyone else remembers seeing the original version. Notice in an out of print dvd release for Broken Oath listed in HKflix that the film length is noted as 98 minutes as opposed to the 93 for the Fortune Star version. So the missing 5 minutes could be these cut scenes that we are discussing.

By the way Chen Hui Min's character in the original theatrical version released in my part of the world was called " Bloody Yama " :bigsmile:.It was quite a memorable name which lovingly stayed with Chen Hui Min for some time and I guess any other person who saw this print in other parts of the world will remember this name therefore if there is anyone out there who recalls this please give us a shout and see if the issues discussed sound familiar.

thelastweaponmaster

I did some digging in another forum ("Asian dvd guide") and found in one of their threads dating back to 2006 that after a few pages of discussion the conclusion is that the latest version on the Fortune Star dvd (the subplot of the mother seducing her jailer in order to get pregnant) is cut. It sounds like 5 to 7 minutes were cut.

Does anyone know if it was ever released in its complete version (maybe in another country)?