Broken Oath (1977)

Guest will91XingYu

Guest will91XingYu

Hi, i though it was a bit unfair that the golden harvest section didn't have many threads so i though i'd try and put some more stuff in it. Golden harvest are great they gave us Jackie Chan, Yuen Biao, Sammo Hung and loads of classic films like Knockabout, Dragon's Forever and the Police Story films! I though i'd start by making a thread about this film from 1977 called Broken Oath it stars Angela Mao, Bruce Liang and Chan Wai Man. My vcd has no subs so i didn't knw what was going on, but the fights are extrodinary, the fight coreographers were Yuen Woo Ping and Hsu Hsia. The end fight is amazing and also has Sammo Hung in it! What did you guys think?

thanks, will

Guest will91XingYu

Thanks for the link, yeh it's a shame cos although the fights were awesome the plot looked good as well, is this a remake of Lady Snowblood?

Guest teako170
Thanks for the link, yeh it's a shame cos although the fights were awesome the plot looked good as well, is this a remake of Lady Snowblood?

Decent flick and yes, its a remake of Lady Snowblood.

Great film. The remastered DVD is awesome. A must-see film. Now if only Joy Sales would put out other Angela Mao DVD's. I don't hate the VCD's, but enough games already! Gimmie quality!!!

This is a very good film. Angela Mao never gets her just due, always as an after thought. If she were a Shaw player, we would never stop hearing her name. One of the few female onscreen fighters who convincingly pulled off her feats with no doubting she could wreck havoc.

Cheers to you young man for bringing this up. :)

Guest will91XingYu

No worries my friend, good to see other people really liked this movie! The coreography is so fast and cool, Bruce Liang and Angela Mao deserve way more limelight!

I never knew GH had Liang Siu Lung signed to a studio contract until i saw him in the background of a few early productions... With his talent he should've gotten more work. It certainlay showed when he did the independant films.

I thought Broken Oath is a definitive classic. Loved the appearances by Sammo and Han Ying-Chieh as the henchmen of villain Michael Chan and Bruce Leung just is insane with his kicking style. And Angela Mao was top notch in the film, one of her best.

Guest Hermeskungfu

Just got this on order so glad to have it confirmed it will be as good as I hoped. Bey Logan in HK Action Cinema rates it the second best ever HK Heroine film (Come Drink With Me was first, My Young Auntie third)

Guest Dragon Ma

It's definitely her most well known film but I found it disappointing, most of the fights are weapons based fights, there's nothing wrong with that but I would've liked to see Angela Mao have some one on one fights.

Guest will91XingYu

That fight with Chan Wai Man is amazing! Can anyone tell me why Bruce Liang in the film had to fight with i think it was his brother, i have the film but with no english subtitles!

Guest jmungus

wicked movie. dare i say masterpiece ? hell yes i do.

im having a real hard time understanding how s/b could not like this fine piece of m.a. cinema.

direction is superb, easily superior to the VAST majority of oldskoolies.

mood is set extremely well, pace is good, the set is great overall, drama parts are well done, movie in its entirety has a unique feel to it.

cast is quite hot, angie rocks the spot, bruce leung is ferocious, choreo is about as good as it gets (fits the vibe of the movie perfectly anyhoo). lovin this flick; an all time classic in my book :cool:

wicked movie. dare i say masterpiece ? hell yes i do.

im having a real hard time understanding how s/b could not like this fine piece of m.a. cinema.

direction is superb, easily superior to the VAST majority of oldskoolies.

mood is set extremely well, pace is good, the set is great overall, drama parts are well done, movie in its entirety has a unique feel to it.

cast is quite hot, angie rocks the spot, bruce leung is ferocious, choreo is about as good as it gets (fits the vibe of the movie perfectly anyhoo). lovin this flick; an all time classic in my book :cool:

You said it all, J. This film resonates on a few levels and Angela/ Liang is a nice team up. Han Yin Kit in a smaller role as a fire breathing baddie was a nice surprise also.

The overall feel of this production is reminescent of The Himalayan.

Broken Oath is a great film, and Leung Siu Lungs kicks completely rock. But I have to say that I prefer The Himalayan better. Great training sequence and sparring between Mao and Tan Tao Liang! The end fight against Chen Xing is great.

I forgot the name of the actor who played the swordsman who helps Angela Mao and fights Han Ying-Chieh in the finale. I do know that his brother is Jackson Lou, who fought Jet Li in Fist of Legend (the Japanese dojo sensei) and also co-starred alongside Jackie Chan in First Strike as Tsui. He was pretty good at fighting as well.

The Amazing Psycho Per
Nobody ever mentions Sammo's choreography for this film. It's still some very good work, and nice camera angles.:)

Aren't Yuen Woo Ping and Hsu Hsia the choreographers?

Aren't Yuen Woo Ping and Hsu Hsia the choreographers?

I stand corrected... I was thinking about another production, and talking about this one... thanks for correcting me.:o