Fantasy Mission Force/Fire Dragon!!!

SMK

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

It's been decades since I've seen either film, but I remember FANTASY MISSION FORCE had me groaning with exasperation the whole time. What a load of nonsense. Occasionally vaguely amusing in the most inane way, but mostly just a waste of a lot of talented people. I saw this as a cheap, ful-screen VHS (which is probably the best presentation this deserved).

FIRE DRAGON is something I picked up in Chinatown long before the ridiculous bootleg being discussed even existed. The official release of it came in a bright green DVD case, which was quite odd. I could see orange or red maybe, to go with the motif of the film. But why green? Now this one I recall enjoying a lot. Not finding it to be a superb film or anything, but a zany wuxia starring the lovely Brigitte Lin. I believe she was able to "Human-Torch" people using her martial arts skills. Memory is that there's a good opening and ending with lots of silly shit in between (wait, what? In a '90s HK movie? :tongue:). Seems like after I saw it I would always come across very negative reviews for it, which made me curious to revisit, but I don't think I ever did.

Can't imagine (nor do I want to) what adding modern-time period nonsense from FMF to period-piece FIRE DRAGON would look like. But it sounds bad. Real bad.

• Like 2

I got ths film at the time because of Wang Yu and was pretty dissapointed. I think I may have seen it once since then, but all I remember were people driving around in a truck and being shot at.

Many years later I saw Bridgette Lin in Golden Queen's Commandos and Pink Force Commando, but I knew what I was getting into at the time, so I enjoyed those for what they were. Maybe I should go back and watch FMF again...

• Like 3

Cognoscente

The below image is from #298 of Cinemart. I'm curious as to what the history was between Brigitte and Jimmy. I wonder what favour she owed him...unless he threatened her.

298.jpg

• Like 2