Fantasy Mission Force/Fire Dragon!!!

SMK

Originally posted in the 'Daily FuTube Showcase' on 3/4/11

{TEXT1}Jackie Chan, Jimmy Wang Yu, Brigitte Lin, Pearl Cheung & Adam Cheng, can it really be all that bad? According to anyone that has seen this film, that answer would be YES! Haven't seen this masterpiece yet, well enjoy the trailer! {TEXT1}2:44

To view previously "showcased" videos, please visit the Daily FuTube Showcase Archive.

If you have any Martial Arts related videos that have not yet been featured, you can place the YouTube video in the 'Videos' section, in the Martial Arts Related sub-forum.

Thank You.

• Like 2

Jadedragon61

Neither then nor now has anyone been able to make much sense of that wacky production... It's funny in a very off-beat way. Worth watching one time.

• Like 2

Guest Anonymous

Is this movie the same as Dragon Fire or Dragon Attack? I recorded Dragon Fire as well as Fantasy Mission Force on El Rey to watch later and they appear to be the same movie but diferent parts or something odd.

Also this movie makes absolutely no sense and I have no clue what the hell is going on.

Guest Anonymous

Ok check this out. I am watching movies I rcorded on El Rey.

The first time I saw Fantasy Mission Force was over 10 years ago. It made no sense then and my version was a very crappy version and hard to see things.

I saw on El Rey that movies called "Fantasy Mission Force" and "Fire Dragon" were going to be on so I recorded them. But people have uploaded the same movies.

Apparently this is Fantasy Mission Force:

And this is Fire Dragon:

Now what the heck? It's like the same movie with the same scenes but it's a different movie. It makes me think one of these versions is not the original and is a spliced in film Godfrey ho style.

Does anyone know about this or which one is the real movie and what the real title is?

Seriously, both of these movies are hard to watch and a pain in the ass to literally focus on to understand what the hell is going on. Now I have to watch 2 freaking movies of the same crap JUST to understand it or say "Oh yeah i saw those films..." lol

Fantasy Mission Force came first in 1983. It was directed by Chu Yen Ping and Jackie Chan had a relatively small part in it. Then came Fire Dragon which was directed by Chester Wong (director of Seven Steps of Kung Fu) and came out later that same year. Chester Wong directed a few scenes, but a lot of the footage from Fire Dragon was taken from Fantasy Mission Force. So that way, when Fire Dragon was released, they could shamelessly put Jackie Chan's face on the poster.

Think of films like Tower of Death. There's a lot of footage of Bruce Lee from other films in Tower of Death, but new footage was created to change the story and make it seem like a whole new movie. Same thing happened here. Hope that explains some things.

Also, I'm one of those guys who likes Fantasy Mission Force as a fun but crappy movie. I have a good time watching it, but I'm not the first person to admit that it sucks. I do understand what's going on, but I certainly wouldn't say it's logical. :tongueout

• Like 1

Guest Anonymous
Fantasy Mission Force came first in 1983. It was directed by Chu Yen Ping and Jackie Chan had a relatively small part in it. Then came Fire Dragon which was directed by Chester Wong (director of Seven Steps of Kung Fu) and came out later that same year. Chester Wong directed a few scenes, but a lot of the footage from Fire Dragon was taken from Fantasy Mission Force. So that way, when Fire Dragon was released, they could shamelessly put Jackie Chan's face on the poster.

Think of films like Tower of Death. There's a lot of footage of Bruce Lee from other films in Tower of Death, but new footage was created to change the story and make it seem like a whole new movie. Same thing happened here. Hope that explains some things.

Also, I'm one of those guys who likes Fantasy Mission Force as a fun but crappy movie. I have a good time watching it, but I'm not the first person to admit that it sucks. I do understand what's going on, but I certainly wouldn't say it's logical. :tongueout

I just watched both movies today. Fire Dragon has parts that are not in Fantasy Mission Force that use the exact same actors. It seems they used parts of the movie of FMF that did not make it in the final cut. Like deleted scenes or something and put them in th Fire Dragon film.

Also did Bridget Lin play both the girl with red boots and the other chick at the same time?

None of these movies make sense. Something about some guy has money and Japanese have it but they have nazi symbols. Fire Dragon says nazis but mentions the Japanese about 1 time randomly, but there is a whole thing about a chinese nazi party and this girl got raped for some reason and her dad was killed so she teamed up with an "ATA" agent or some guy. Whatever ATA stands for...

Fantasy Mission Force though seemed to make more sense but I dont undestand who the women amazon native chicks were or what that was about and whats with the wizards and ghosts? Who was the guy in the suit with the amazon women an where did he go? I dont think he died or was fighting. He just was there and then never again in the movie.

Why did the group they find a haunted house with wizards? What does it have to do with the rest of the story? And who was Jimmy Wang Yu supposed to be? And

why put him in the movie and make a whole thing about him recruiting guys only to make him turn evil at the end and want the money for himself?

Also I remember reading some synopsis that says there are recruits such as James Bond and Rocky Balboa but nowhere in this movie did such characters appear anywhere.

An Fire Dragon had a lot of footage not shown in FMF. It's like these 2 movies are the exact same movie but each have different scenes not in each other so you have to watch both to get the full story. But then a few of the dubs are different or set up a different story for certain characters.

What messes.

I think a little bit of this stock footage was used in Snake in the Eagle's Shadow 2. The part of Jackie catching the bird was used a couple times.

• Like 1

I just watched both movies today. Fire Dragon has parts that are not in Fantasy Mission Force that use the exact same actors. It seems they used parts of the movie of FMF that did not make it in the final cut. Like deleted scenes or something and put them in th Fire Dragon film.

Some of those additional were the new scenes that were filmed by Chester Wong. To fill in the runtime, it's entirely possible that deleted scenes/scenes from other movies were used in Fire Dragon.

Also did Bridget Lin play both the girl with red boots and the other chick at the same time?

I don't know what other chick you're talking about, but maybe you're talking about Pearl Cheung or Mary Wong. I have no recollection of Brigitte Lin playing more than one part.

What messes.

Yup.

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
And who was Jimmy Wang Yu supposed to be? And

why put him in the movie and make a whole thing about him recruiting guys only to make him turn evil at the end and want the money for himself?

It almost sounds like he was playing the same role in front of the cameras as he was behind the scenes on this one. :thinking I believe it was one of the film's that Jimmy got Jackie Chan to appear in to 'repay the favor' (for the third time) that he'd done for the younger actor (saving him from Triads that were sent after him by an angry Lo Wei when Chan broke his contract). :worried

I agree, this film is a terrible mess. There were a few scenes that made me chuckle, and a crazy action bit here and there, but I doubt I'll ever watch it a second time.

• Like 1

Guest Anonymous

Some of those additional were the new scenes that were filmed by Chester Wong. To fill in the runtime, it's entirely possible that deleted scenes/scenes from other movies were used in Fire Dragon.

I don't know what other chick you're talking about, but maybe you're talking about Pearl Cheung or Mary Wong. I have no recollection of Brigitte Lin playing more than one part.

Yup.

The additional scenes are apparently filmed for Fantasy mission Force as the actors are on the exact same sets, in the same costumes, and are all the same people. So either some versions of FMF do not contain these scenes depending on which DVD you buy, or FMF never had these scenes to begin with and they are simply deleted scenes. Another option is that the other director filmed these scenes at the exact same time as FMF and kept them for his Fire Dragon movie. but watching Fire Dragon fills in some of the holes of FMF so it is like you have to watch both movies to get the full movie. It is such a strange thing.

And also, yes, he does film extra scenes with new actors as well and has completely wiped Jimmy Wang Yu from the movie. They borrowed similar/same costumes for extras as well and have a few extra fight scenes.

So then Bridget Lin only played one character, and the other girl is not her. They both look very similar and for awhile I thought it was supposed to be the same character, just in different places. I was confused.

Guest Anonymous

It almost sounds like he was playing the same role in front of the cameras as he was behind the scenes on this one. :thinking I believe it was one of the film's that Jimmy got Jackie Chan to appear in to 'repay the favor' (for the third time) that he'd done for the younger actor (saving him from Triads that were sent after him by an angry Lo Wei when Chan broke his contract). :worried

I agree, this film is a terrible mess. There were a few scenes that made me chuckle, and a crazy action bit here and there, but I doubt I'll ever watch it a second time.

I remember when I bought this movie back in the day and it said Jackie Chan was in it. I was extremely disappointed and actually kind of pissed I paid money for this trash. It makes no damn sense!!! The entire story makes NO SENSE. I could see it as a comedy an explaining some stuff but stuff just happens out of nowhere. Who the hell are these native chinese girls with feathers? Why are there guys who look like gladiators with nazi symbols and supposed to also be Japanese? AAAA! lol

I did not know Jackie Chan had Triads after him. That is crazy! Was Lo Wei a gangster? How did Chan save Wang Yu from them?

It is funny that being in FMF and FD is somehow a favor...both are absolutely shitty films. In no way did they boost Chan's career.

DragonClaws

I remember when I bought this movie back in the day and it said Jackie Chan was in it. I was extremely disappointed and actually kind of pissed I paid money for this trash. It makes no damn sense!!! The entire story makes NO SENSE. I could see it as a comedy an explaining some stuff but stuff just happens out of nowhere. Who the hell are these native chinese girls with feathers? Why are there guys who look like gladiators with nazi symbols and supposed to also be Japanese? AAAA! lol

I did not know Jackie Chan had Triads after him. That is crazy! Was Lo Wei a gangster? How did Chan save Wang Yu from them?

It is funny that being in FMF and FD is somehow a favor...both are absolutely shitty films. In no way did they boost Chan's career.

No it was Wang Yu who saved Chan WhiteDragon. Chan wanted out of his contract with Lo Wei so he could jump ship to Golden Harvest and get a better deal. This is when members of organized crime began to appear, to let him know going to GH studios might not be in his best interests. Lo Wei was a member of the triads and of course had triad connections. Chan was just a rising star at the time and he couldn't deal with the situation on his own. Jimmy Wang Yu was drafted in to help out. I'm not sure if Willie Chan or GH asked him to help out?. Chan went abroad for a short while until the triads came to an agreement. Wang Yu later asked Chan to return his big favour by appearing in two films for free. The first was Fantasy Mission Force then in he also later appeared in Island Of Fire another Jimmy Wang Yu production.

Guest Anonymous

No it was Wang Yu who saved Chan WhiteDragon. Chan wanted out of his contract with Lo Wei so he could jump ship to Golden Harvest and get a better deal. This is when members of organized crime began to appear, to let him know going to GH studios might not be in his best interests. Lo Wei was a member of the triads and of course had triad connections. Chan was just a rising star at the time and he couldn't deal with the situation on his own. Jimmy Wang Yu was drafted in to help out. I'm not sure if Willie Chan or GH asked him to help out?. Chan went abroad for a short while until the triads came to an agreement. Wang Yu later asked Chan to return his big favour by appearing in two films for free. The first was Fantasy Mission Force then in he also later appeared in Island Of Fire another Jimmy Wang Yu production.

How did Wang Yu save Chan from the triads? What exactly did he do? man the industry was so tough back then!! He could have been killed.

Well at least his part in FMF was very small so it was not very hard to work for free on that probably. It is funny Wang Yu didnt make Chan do a better film with a larger role, but who knows. I wonder why Wang Yu even did FMF after all of the epic and amazing movies he made beforehand.

DragonClaws

How did Wang Yu save Chan from the triads? What exactly did he do? man the industry was so tough back then!! He could have been killed.

Well at least his part in FMF was very small so it was not very hard to work for free on that probably. It is funny Wang Yu didnt make Chan do a better film with a larger role, but who knows. I wonder why Wang Yu even did FMF after all of the epic and amazing movies he made beforehand.

I don't know the exact details regarding how he helped him, only Wang Yu knows that & the people involved. Unless there's other information out there?. Maybe Wang Yu was appearing in FMF for the same reasons Chan was?. When an actor appears in a movie you assume its by choice but that's not always the story in some cases.

drunkencrane44

any information about this film fire dragon all i know is that it uses footage from fantasy mission force 

Edited by drunkencrane44
  • Like 2

drunkencrane44
4 minutes ago, SMK said:

Welcome to the forum @drunkencrane44

I would definitely like to know more about this production as well. Someone may post with some info.

yeah its really odd its like the film just popped up out of nowhere 

there is another film like this titled master of disater from what i remember most of the jackie chan footage is from the hk version of the protector

• Like 2

My theory is that Fire Dragon is the result of a bet.

As in, 'I bet you can't make Fantasy Mission Force worse'.  

'Oh, really...?'

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Might be interesting to re-integrate the additional FMF footage found only in the FIRE DRAGON edit back into FMF in hopes of adding a bit of sense...? I’ve never seen either of them but I have been curious about FMF.

• Like 2