Recommendations From These Films?

Omni Dragon

Which do you think is the best film out of......

I WILL FINALLY KNOCK YOU DOWN, DAD!

ADVENTURE IN DENMARK

BATTLE FOR THE REPUBLIC OF CHINA

PATRIOTIC HEROINE

THE RATS(OF HONG KONG)

HEROINE SUSAN:THE SISTER OF SHANTUNG BOXER

DRAGON AND TIGER JOINT HANDS

LION'S HEART

MAGNIFICENT KNIGHT?

You know this could make a good thread if anyone has a similar question to ask.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive only seen 2 on that list, I suggest you goto the fusubs blog site and check the videos out and see for yourself. Knock you down dad, is good if you like comedy and kung fu, cant really go wrong with that pick

Omni Dragon

Thank you mmacchia55 but I already went for DRAGON AND TIGER JOINT HANDS.

prinnysquad
Thank you mmacchia55 but I already went for DRAGON AND TIGER JOINT HANDS.

Uh-oh. I suggested this on kfc. If you don't like it, then you can cuss me up real bad. I can take it!

Edit: ECC recommended this too on flk, so I'm in good company there!

Just don't watch it with any great expectations! I didn't, and I think that's why I enjoyed it so much.

Need some advice if anyone can. I started with Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan films. Now I'm very into everything Shaw Brothers. Now looking at several compilations by Shout Factory. 2 Martial Arts Marathon collections. Two double feature sets with Cheng Pei Pei and Angela Mao Ying, and 2 larger collections of Angela Mao Ying and Jimmy Wang Yu. Has anyone purchased or viewed these releases? Recommended?

Secret Executioner

The Jimmy Wang Yu Collection set is very nice. I especially recommend it for One Armed Boxer and Beach Of The War Gods. :thumbsup

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Need some advice if anyone can. I started with Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan films. Now I'm very into everything Shaw Brothers. Now looking at several compilations by Shout Factory. 2 Martial Arts Marathon collections. Two double feature sets with Cheng Pei Pei and Angela Mao Ying, and 2 larger collections of Angela Mao Ying and Jimmy Wang Yu. Has anyone purchased or viewed these releases? Recommended?

Hey brother, of the ones you mentioned, my choice would be the ANGELA MAO YING Film Collection is also great, and features my favorite of her films- BROKEN OATH (1977). This is sort of a HK retelling of the Japanese film LADY SNOWBLOOD (1973), and it features a compelling story, fantastic cast, and lots of outstanding action. Angela uses pet scorpions to help her kill, and Bruce Liang shows up to let us know what a human tornado looks like too! This set includes 6 movies, and only one of them is kind of a stinker- QUEEN’S RANSOM (1976, aka. A Queen‘s Ransom; International Assassin). It's surprising too, because with that cast (Mao, Jimmy Wang Yu, George Lazenby, Charles Heung, Bolo) and inspired plot, it should have been a wild ride. The rest of the films are a nice mix of old school and modern-day kung fu, with lots of cool co-stars like Lazenby, Sammo Hung, Dorian Tan Tao-Liang, Chen Sing, Corey Yuen Kwai, Whang In-Sik, Carter Wong, Wilson Tong, Betty Ting-Pei, Jhoon Rhee, and Michael Chan Wai-Man.

Like Secret Executioner I recommend the JIMMY WANG YU Film Collection too for BEACH OF THE WAR GOD (1973, aka. Blood Dragon) and ONE ARMED BOXER (1971, aka. The Chinese Professionals)- both genre classics. On the same set, A MAN CALLED TIGER (1973), though not terrific, is a fun modern-day 'basher' with some frantic action throughout, and a crazed climax in a hotel suite where Jimmy battles a big gang of axe-wielding henchmen. TATTOOED DRAGON (1973) is just okay.

All the other sets have a mix of great and just okay films. I'd say they are all worth picking up, but I'd start with the above two.

Thank you. That's very thorough advice. I've purchased the Wang Yu set. Hers is on my shopping list.

Archived