"Bruce Lee's Toughest Fight"

SMK

As a sort of a test, as well as just for fun, I typed in the words "Bruce Lee" into the Google search bar, then I went to page 36 (of about 14,600,000 results), and looked at the top link on that page, and what it was was a link to the website "kungfu.net" and what seemed to be a re-published article from 'Official Karate, July 1980'. The article was titled, "Bruce Lee's Toughest Fight", written by Michael Dorgan. It is a lengthy, but very interesting read. I am sure most of Lee's fans already know the story, but in case you don't, click the [click=http://www.kungfu.net/brucelee.html]link[/click]! :smile

Excerpt From the Article:

Considering the skill of the opponents and the complete absence of referees, rules, and safety equipment, it was one hell of a fight that took place that day in December. It may have been the most savagely elegant exhibition of unarmed combat of the century. Yet, at a time when top fighters tend to display their skills only in huge closed-circuited arenas, this battle was fought in virtual secrecy behind locked doors. And at a time when millions of dollars can ride on the outcome of a championship fight, these champions of another sort competed not for money, but for more personal and passionate reasons. The time was late winter, 1964; the setting was a small kung fu school in Oakland, California. Poised at the center of the room, with approximately 140 pounds packed tightly on his 5'7" frame, was the operator of the school, a 24-year old martial artist of Chinese ancestry but American birth who, within a few years, would skyrocket to international attention as a combination fighter/film star. A few years after that, at age 32, he would die under mysterious circumstances. His name, of course, was Bruce Lee. Also poised in the center of the room was another martial artist. Taller but lighter, with his 135 pounds stretched thinly over 5'10", this fighter was also 24 and also of Chinese descent. Born in Hong Kong and reared in the south of mainland China, he had only recently arrived in San Francisco's teeming Chinatown, just across the bay from Oakland. Though over the next 15 years he would become widely known in martial arts circles and would train some of America's top martial artists, he would retain a near disdain for publicity and the commercialization of his art, and consequently would remain unknown to the general public. His name: Wong Jack Man.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I recall, Wong Jack man himself actually wrote an article describing the fight with BL. I think it may have been in Official Karate Magazine, I will try my best to locate it...

WonBin'sMojo

Most significant??? Dude what is with you with that word, you used it again in another thread you created... You do know it was just acting right??? It's called innovative fight choreography ...

infoM.pngWonBin'sMojo while I truly appreciate your support of this forum and your participation in it, I do not condone name calling of other members. I do not want this forum to get filled with a bunch of nonsense bickering and virtual fights like how other fan forums have been plagued with. I did edit your post and have removed the negative remarks. Please remember the SC36 Forum rule: "Keep the peace; have patience; forgive offense." Thank you.

Archived