BL Nunchaku Chain length

Jadedragon61

Just a point for all to note: that BL used nunchaku, possibly off the Filipino model, with chains roughly three times the length used on the Okinawan. This gives the weapon greater range, but also makes it MUCH more difficult to weild.

And, nota bene, BL grips the nunchaku in the proper place: at the bottom.

These two simple facts, very often igored, alone attest to the man's great skill.

post-97-144199713042_thumb.jpg

post-97-144199713043_thumb.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for pointing this out, otherwise I may have never known. BL definitely was a man of GREAT skill, so that fact that he personally used an even harder piece of weaponry than probably necessary, does not surprise me.

Thanks again for sharing this bit of info as well as the visuals!

• Administrator

Hey Brother, how do ya do? :hi

I have some info that is contrary to yours. But please note that I present it only with the utmost respect, and only to share. Not to be a jerk and say that you are wrong, or that I am right, but simply to add more info and promote further discussion of this interesting subject. :smile

A bit of info on my experience with the "chucks": after seeing Bruce use the nunchaku in ENTER THE DRAGON when I was a teen, I immediately began training with the amazing weapon. To say that he inspired me and taught me my first lessons with his skills would be a vast understatement. Totally blew me away would be more apt a description of his affect on me. LOL Anyway, I have been training with both double and single nunchaku (as well as with the sansetsu-kon, or "triple nunchaku", and the three-piece staff) for about 26 years. I've learned and picked up info from many other martial artists and nunchaku stylists through the years, and I've taught a great deal of people the art, and self defense uses of the weapon (including instructors of various schools and a handful of law enforcement officers). I have not only practiced the hand switches and forms of the weapon (as many do), but the striking, flailing, recovering, choking, grappling, and chi-na locking techniques of the nunchaku. I have trained in full protective gear against other nunchaku proponents in full contact sessions, and (sadly) have had to use them in a real-life situation (when a group attempted to mug me). So I'm not just coming at you from left field with some silly, theoretical ideas.

Just a point for all to note: that BL used nunchaku, possibly off the Filipino model, with chains roughly three times the length used on the Okinawan. This gives the weapon greater range, but also makes it MUCH more difficult to weild.

I'd say that the lengths of the links (chain or rope) in the photos that you provided are atypical, and actually much shorter than the standard nunchaku link's length. The chucks that Bruce used were indeed a bit longer, and had links that (in my estimation) were more like twice that of the standard nunchaku.

You are certainly correct in saying that the longer the length of the link in any "flailing weapon", the more difficult they are to control. "Speed Chucks" as they are sometimes called, are nunchacku with shorter handles (typically 6-8 inches, as opposed to the usual length of 12-14 inches for "standard" nunchaku), and a longer link (usually double to triple that of a standard pair). They are able to be whipped with much greater force and speed due to their design.

And, nota bene, BL grips the nunchaku in the proper place: at the bottom.

Though with different strikes, slight variations of grip (higher or lower on the handle) can be a plus, I would say that gripping the nunchaku at the bottom ends (the end of the handle furthest from the chain) is absolutely an incorrect grip. Please note that Bruce often modified his true martial arts techniques when they were being used for his movie's sequences (swinging wide, kicking without a tight re-chamber, et), as he was more concerned with how it looked than it's real effectiveness under those circumstances. That's why he allowed his film characters to do things like acrobatic flips, things that he would NEVER have done in a real situation. This low grip may have appeared more dramatic on film, but it completely negates the control of the weapon, which is best gripped slightly higher than the middle of the handle (towards the link). With this proper grip, there is much better aim, control in delivering and recovering from strikes, ability to bring the weapon to a faser speed in less time, and it causes a much faster reaction in the weapon to your hand and wrists's movements. If you have been training using this "low grip" method, I implore you to switch to the higher grip I've described. I assure you, it is the optimum way. You will absolutely reap the benefits of this change. I promise you that from both my many thousands of hours of hands-on experience, and even from a scientific/mathmatecial perspective regarding the fulcrum of the weapons movement, the low grip is incorrect.

These two simple facts, very often igored, alone attest to the man's great skill.

In regards to his "great skill", I can only nod in ackowledgement. Bruce will forever be one of my greatest inspirations. A real hero!

Hey, Kung Fu Bob, greetings!

First, far from taking any offense at your post, I very much appreciate that you took the time to give me a detailed reply. The content is meaningful and the tone respectful. Thank you!

I’ll try to make my response clear, and give a few pics and links to illustrate.

About the length of the Okinawan nunchaku being “atypical”, I will reference Nishiuchi Mikio when he gives the palm as the standard length for the cord:

at about 45 seconds

The nunchaku used by BL, I think in every case, even going back to the Green Hornet, episode 11: The Hunters and the Hunted, are slightly over two palms wide. This is certainly not standard for the Okinawan version, as Nishiuchi Sensei tells us.

Of course, BL did not learn this weapon from any Okinawan source, but rather Danny Inosanto. The Filipino Tabak Toyok does indeed use a longer chain than the Okinawan, and I tend to think that his use of the longer chain finds its source here. Also, however, I think you are right in that the MUCH longer chain he used was more impressive visually, and this is REALLY why he adopted it.

And now a funny aside: working from a Tabak Toyok, very possibly with the chain even further lengthened, BL goes to work. Result: today in China 99% of the nunchaku you find being sold are on the “BL model”! If you think I’m joking, just check taobao.com.

Next, regarding where the nunchaku is to be gripped, all classical Okinawan masters say the bottom end. To list just two: Ryusho Sakagami, and Fumio Demura. Here’s a couple links to illustrate:

This is Taira Shinken – often termed the “Founder of Modern Kobudo”!

Nakamoto Masahiro: 10th Dan!

So much for technical excellence, or theory. I do know that Yamashita Tadashi grips the anywhere from the middle to the end, and, practically speaking, I have always found this best.

But, to conclude, as BL said: Use no way as way! You have trained a long time and found an effective method – cool, use it!

Again, Kung Fu Bob, thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. This is what the forum should be used for: exchanging ideas.

WonBin'sMojo

Are Bruce Lee and the Brucelploitation movies the only films that portray the Nunchaku as the ideal weapon?? I've not seen every Martial Arts movie that ever came out but these particular films are the only ones I see that utilizes the Nunchaku to the fullest extend.. Nunchaku are as badass as any other weapon seen on film, whether it's the samurai sword or whatever I think the Nunchaku is just as iconic and awesome as those weapons..

Damn Bruce Lee would've been the Chinese version of Lone wolf or Sleepy Eyes Of Death but with NunChaku..

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Hello Jadedragon61!

Sorry it took so long to respond.

Thank you for that wealth of information! :clappinghands I've learned a great deal from your words brother. Apparently my ahem... "wisdom/knowledge" of this amazing weapon is limited to my tiny corner of the world. :blush I appreciate the enlightenment!

There's no point only talking... that's no way to learn. And I have very happily tuned in to everything you have said. Very interesting. I'd love if someday our paths crossed and we could plat the chucks together- sharing our techniques with one another. I'm sure I would gain a lot from such an experience! :smile

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Are Bruce Lee and the Brucelploitation movies the only films that portray the Nunchaku as the ideal weapon?? I've not seen every Martial Arts movie that ever came out but these particular films are the only ones I see that utilizes the Nunchaku to the fullest extend.. Nunchaku are as badass as any other weapon seen on film, whether it's the samurai sword or whatever I think the Nunchaku is just as iconic and awesome as those weapons..

Damn Bruce Lee would've been the Chinese version of Lone wolf or Sleepy Eyes Of Death but with NunChaku..

One of my favorite scenes utilizing the chucks is in HEROES OF THE EAST. Though sadly, the nunchaku practitioner (who simutaneously weilds a tonfa) is beaten by Gordon Liu and his three-piece staff.

But as far as it being a heroe's primary weapon? It is scarce in the genre. If I ever get to make a martial arts flick, I promise the chucks will be the heroe's #1 weapon! :rockon

Over here in England we were starved of nunchaku for many years because of film censors! Enter the Dragon, Game of Death and many others were missing entire scenes. Which made Chaku Master a much shorter film, I can tell you. I believe the rationale for this was not that it inspired young viewers to start chaku-ing each other, but rather that in practicing they would invariably whack themselves in the head! For this reason I became a fan of tonfa, which strangely didn't appear to be as closely censored...I love the way they can be used to block and attack simultaneously. Will have to pick up some nunchaku now to compare... :)

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Over here in England we were starved of nunchaku for many years because of film censors! Enter the Dragon, Game of Death and many others were missing entire scenes. Which made Chaku Master a much shorter film, I can tell you. I believe the rationale for this was not that it inspired young viewers to start chaku-ing each other, but rather that in practicing they would invariably whack themselves in the head! For this reason I became a fan of tonfa, which strangely didn't appear to be as closely censored...I love the way they can be used to block and attack simultaneously. Will have to pick up some nunchaku now to compare... :)

I'm not sure I could live in a world without nunchaku. :shaking

A film came out in 2012 called NUNCHUCKS. The only version I've ever seen was so pixelated that you couldn't really enjoy the nunchaku action. They just sort of disappear in the scenes where they're being used. I'm STILL searching for a good copy of it. :thinking

DragonClaws

Bruce Lee used to make his own nunchaku for his films. He would use a length of chain and wrap the ends in foam. Then he would use black tape to wrap around the foam part of the nunchaku. If you look in some of his nunchaku scenes/stills you can see them bend slightly at the ends when he's got them gripped under his armpit. They were still pretty lethal even then due to the speed in which he swung them.

Musician Anders Nelsson who appears as one of the thugs in Way Of The Dragon got his top lip split during the double nunchaku scene. He's one of the first men to approach Lee in the fight wearing light brown clothing with an iron bar in his hand. Lee knocks him down once then he try's to get him again later by sneaking up behind him. The guy said he got married the next day with a big fat top lip. He's always had facial hair ever since to cover the scar. Nelsson went on to write the opening theme song Diamonds for The Tattoo Connection.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Bruce Lee used to make his own nunchaku for his films. He would use a length of chain and wrap the ends in foam. Then he would use black tape to wrap around the foam part of the nunchaku. If you look in some of his nunchaku scenes/stills you can see them bend slightly at the ends when he's got them gripped under his armpit. They were still pretty lethal even then due to the speed in which he swung them.

Musician Anders Nelsson who appears as one of the thugs in Way Of The Dragon got his top lip split during the double nunchaku scene. He's one of the first men to approach Lee in the fight wearing light brown clothing with an iron bar in his hand. Lee knocks him down once then he try's to get him again later by sneaking up behind him. The guy said he got married the next day with a big fat top lip. He's always had facial hair ever since to cover the scar. Nelsson went on to write the opening theme song Diamonds for The Tattoo Connection.

Fascinating info brother! Most of this I didn't know.

I knew that Bruce made those chucks, and I definitely noticed them bending. But I didn't realize they were chain inside all the way through. Ouch! You could definitely kill somebody with those.

There were a group of guys that I used to train with, and one of them was always saying to me "Training with those is good for hand/eye coordination, but you can't really fight with them. Any other weapon will best them." I was extremely diligent in my training with them, taught myself the practicalities and weaknesses of the weapon, and felt confident in my skills. So I finally challenged him to a friendly match. He could use any weapon, and my only requirement was that he wear a protective, training helmet with a face shield so I could go all out. We used foam-padded weapons of course, so that we could avoid killing each other. He was sure that a bo staff would easily trump the chucks. He was wrong. Then he insisted on a re-match with him using fighting sticks. Though it had all started out friendly, he had become very angry from his initial loss, and attacked me ferociously. I countered and deflected, but when he attempted to kick me in the groin I totally lost my temper (I had a few bad years trying to get my temper under control, and I finally succeeded. But this was before that. :blush ). I disarmed him and began unloading a literal storm of nunchaku strikes on him, driving him backwards across the entire length of the yard, knocking the face shield off his helmet, and breaking both of the chuck handles (the inner plastic cores) in the process. He wound up falling to the ground and curling up in a ball. I threw the shredded chucks on the ground and dramatically announced "You're roadkill now! Right? See, they're not just flashy and impractical, are they?" :punch

Even though they were mostly just foam, they did a number on him. He got up slowly, shaking his head, and lifted his shirt- he was covered with long red welt-marks. I felt terrible and apologized. :shaking But he said "Nope, I've been busting your balls for months, and you really showed me!" laughing and shaking my hand. Then he sheepishly asked "So, you willing to show me how to do that?" :laugh I did, and he loved training with them as much as I enjoyed teaching him.

DragonClaws

Fascinating info brother! Most of this I didn't know.

I knew that Bruce made those chucks, and I definitely noticed them bending. But I didn't realize they were chain inside all the way through. Ouch! You could definitely kill somebody with those.

There were a group of guys that I used to train with, and one of them was always saying to me "Training with those is good for hand/eye coordination, but you can't really fight with them. Any other weapon will best them." I was extremely diligent in my training with them, taught myself the practicalities and weaknesses of the weapon, and felt confident in my skills. So I finally challenged him to a friendly match. He could use any weapon, and my only requirement was that he wear a protective, training helmet with a face shield so I could go all out. We used foam-padded weapons of course, so that we could avoid killing each other. He was sure that a bo staff would easily trump the chucks. He was wrong. Then he insisted on a re-match with him using fighting sticks. Though it had all started out friendly, he had become very angry from his initial loss, and attacked me ferociously. I countered and deflected, but when he attempted to kick me in the groin I totally lost my temper (I had a few bad years trying to get my temper under control, and I finally succeeded. But this was before that. :blush ). I disarmed him and began unloading a literal storm of nunchaku strikes on him, driving him backwards across the entire length of the yard, knocking the face shield off his helmet, and breaking both of the chuck handles (the inner plastic cores) in the process. He wound up falling to the ground and curling up in a ball. I threw the shredded chucks on the ground and dramatically announced "You're roadkill now! Right? See, they're not just flashy and impractical, are they?" :punch

Even though they were mostly just foam, they did a number on him. He got up slowly, shaking his head, and lifted his shirt- he was covered with long red welt-marks. I felt terrible and apologized. :shaking But he said "Nope, I've been busting your balls for months, and you really showed me!" laughing and shaking my hand. Then he sheepishly asked "So, you willing to show me how to do that?" :laugh I did, and he loved training with them as much as I enjoyed teaching him.

Hi Bob, that's one interesting story. I think you are right about the weapons effectiveness. Glad you found my post fascinating as you are clearly no novice when it comes to nunchaku. I still have two pairs of foam nunchaku but I'm far from an expert or master. You could say I'm an amateur practitioner of the weapon. Had a home made pair in my teenage years then bought the real thing. Or should I say my parents did as I wasn't eighteen at the time. Made my arm go numb and tingly a few times hitting my elbows but luckily never anything too serious. The weapon had an even more exotic appeal for me due to them being banned on screen for a long time in the U.K. Luckily I became a fan only a few years before the British film censors lifted their restrictions on the weapon circa 99/2000. But that's a whole other story in itself regarding the film censors. My Dad got see Enter The Dragon first time around unedited & always raved about the nunchaku scene. For a few year's I only had the pictures to go by.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Hi Bob, that's one interesting story. I think you are right about the weapons effectiveness. Glad you found my post fascinating as you are clearly no novice when it comes to nunchaku. I still have two pairs of foam nunchaku but I'm far from an expert or master. You could say I'm an amateur practitioner of the weapon. Had a home made pair in my teenage years then bought the real thing. Or should I say my parents did as I wasn't eighteen at the time. Made my arm go numb and tingly a few times hitting my elbows but luckily never anything too serious. The weapon had an even more exotic appeal for me due to them being banned on screen for a long time in the U.K. Luckily I became a fan only a few years before the British film censors lifted their restrictions on the weapon circa 99/2000. But that's a whole other story in itself regarding the film censors. My Dad got see Enter The Dragon first time around unedited & always raved about the nunchaku scene. For a few year's I only had the pictures to go by.

ENTER THE DRAGON was my first kung fu film, and the 'nunchaku scene' left me completely blown away. I remember thinking "That is the coolest thing I've ever seen. I must learn to do that. I don't know what function knowing that skill could possibly serve me in real life... But I must learn it!" :nodding I've been training with them for over 30 years now. Straight away I got a used, custom-made chain pair from either a yard sale or a flea-market. At first I just learned 'the moves' that I saw Bruce doing. Then I started trying to strike with them- hitting a heavy-bag- and quickly learned the brutal sting of the nunchaku as it rebounded and hit first my elbow, and then my knee. :worried Then I studied hard, karate-style striking and katas with them. Next I started incorporating them into a more flowing kung fu style with more natural movements. The most common bumps were to the inside and outside of my elbows, but I slipped and clipped the family jewels a few times, as well as two brutal mistakes that ended in head strikes. Ouch! :dull I took them with me everywhere I went, and whenever I me anyone that could use them- teachers or students of different martial arts, or just nunchaku enthusiasts- I would watch and pick up new moves. I did the same with films- learning any new technique I saw. I trained with them in a variety of situations- seated, laying sown, in tight quarters, in the rain, etc. Yes sir- I'm crazy about them!

Then someone gave me two practice chucks. At first I thought "Blech, fake." But then I realized I could get even more innovative and try dangerous new things with little to no risk. So soon they became a valuable tool in furthering my training, and also in teaching others that weren't as willing as I had been to take the lumps as they learned.

When I first heard that people in the UK hadn't seen the nunchaku scenes in Bruce Lee's films I was horrified! :shaking It was a travesty of kung fu cinema to have edited these films like that! I was so mad about it for you guys. I'm glad your government finally dropped that bullshit law.

DragonClaws

ENTER THE DRAGON was my first kung fu film, and the 'nunchaku scene' left me completely blown away. I remember thinking "That is the coolest thing I've ever seen. I must learn to do that. I don't know what function knowing that skill could possibly serve me in real life... But I must learn it!" :nodding I've been training with them for over 30 years now. Straight away I got a used, custom-made chain pair from either a yard sale or a flea-market. At first I just learned 'the moves' that I saw Bruce doing. Then I started trying to strike with them- hitting a heavy-bag- and quickly learned the brutal sting of the nunchaku as it rebounded and hit first my elbow, and then my knee. :worried Then I studied hard, karate-style striking and katas with them. Next I started incorporating them into a more flowing kung fu style with more natural movements. The most common bumps were to the inside and outside of my elbows, but I slipped and clipped the family jewels a few times, as well as two brutal mistakes that ended in head strikes. Ouch! :dull I took them with me everywhere I went, and whenever I me anyone that could use them- teachers or students of different martial arts, or just nunchaku enthusiasts- I would watch and pick up new moves. I did the same with films- learning any new technique I saw. I trained with them in a variety of situations- seated, laying sown, in tight quarters, in the rain, etc. Yes sir- I'm crazy about them!

Then someone gave me two practice chucks. At first I thought "Blech, fake." But then I realized I could get even more innovative and try dangerous new things with little to no risk. So soon they became a valuable tool in furthering my training, and also in teaching others that weren't as willing as I had been to take the lumps as they learned.

When I first heard that people in the UK hadn't seen the nunchaku scenes in Bruce Lee's films I was horrified! :shaking It was a travesty of kung fu cinema to have edited these films like that! I was so mad about it for you guys. I'm glad your government finally dropped that bullshit law.

I haven't been practicing with them for as long as you have. Never had anyone to share knowledge with just picked stuff up from films. A bootleg release of Best Of Martial Arts documentary gave me the chance to see the nunchaku scene from ETD befor the censors lifted their ban. I must have played that tape to death lol.

Ive read a lot about the nunchaku ban from various sources over the last fifteen years. The police approached the film censors with concern about the weapon. The British ratings board didn't actually have a problem with the nunchaku at first. They passed ETD with the nunchaku scene intact for its first run in the U.K. By the time Bruce Lee's HK films came out the weapon had become very popular with football hooligans and young people in general. The police were confiscating the weapon a lot and it raised concern. The film censors took note and simply cut the weapon on sight for nearly thirty years. The law surrounding the weapon has always been a bit murky. The police didn't have a problem with genuine Martial Arts practitioners using nunchaku. My dad often tells me the story about his first karate teacher walking into the local pub with chain sticks around his neck lol.

Secret Executioner

I own two pairs of nunchucks myself. One is foamed with longer sticks (30cm) and a string in between. I only keep those because of the colors (black and yellow), which I find a bit Game Of Death-ish. Otherwise, they are a pain with the sticks feeling uncumfortable in the hand, the string is really short and the sticks are too long (making them hard to manipulate) and they feel very light. Bad grip, not very practical... Clearly more of a decoration item.

However, I feel very cumfortable using the second pair - 20cm-long wooden sticks tied by a chain (twice as long as the string of the foamed pair) and pictures of Bruce Lee on the sticks. I get a good sensation when I hold them, there's a good grip and they swing around nicely and without too much difficulty (while the others feel like gymnast gear rather than weapons). And I got these at a flea market for like 2€. Talk about a great bargain, considering the price similar nunchuks sell in stores.

I learned the (little) skill I have through a manual that uses the Japanese style (holding them by the ends of the sticks, but that's normal seeing the person portrayed in the photographs showing the techniques is a Japanese master) while holding them by the middle of the sticks feels more natural to me, but it works well nonetheless.

DragonClaws
I own two pairs of nunchucks myself. One is foamed with longer sticks (30cm) and a string in between. I only keep those because of the colors (black and yellow), which I find a bit Game Of Death-ish. Otherwise, they are a pain with the sticks feeling uncumfortable in the hand, the string is really short and the sticks are too long (making them hard to manipulate) and they feel very light. Bad grip, not very practical... Clearly more of a decoration item.

However, I feel very cumfortable using the second pair - 20cm-long wooden sticks tied by a chain (twice as long as the string of the foamed pair) and pictures of Bruce Lee on the sticks. I get a good sensation when I hold them, there's a good grip and they swing around nicely and without too much difficulty (while the others feel like gymnast gear rather than weapons). And I got these at a flea market for like 2€. Talk about a great bargain, considering the price similar nunchuks sell in stores.

I learned the (little) skill I have through a manual that uses the Japanese style (holding them by the ends of the sticks, but that's normal seeing the person portrayed in the photographs showing the techniques is a Japanese master) while holding them by the middle of the sticks feels more natural to me, but it works well nonetheless.

Interesting post Secret Executioner, A friend gave me his home made pair using the chain from a dog lead to link the two clubs lol. I still have those packed away somewhere. It took awhile to adapt to the foam ones after using the heavier real one's. But they did allow me to try more tricky moves without the risk of hurting myself. The foam handles I find easier to grip than the painted wooden ones I have.

Yep. Here is one of the earliest examples of Bruce Lee nunchaku on the US market. From 1975 this was the first nunchaku model offered by Dolan's Sports in NJ.

1240182_523134841100665_1224422094_n.jpg

This one was available for less than a year. The first listing was in May of 1975.

1186945_523142647766551_240764752_n.jpg?

In January of 1976 they debuted their famous swivel chain setup.

1267999_523142654433217_2092669230_o.jpg

The Bruce Lee nunchaku became the Model 100.

Archived