Cheng Pei-Pei

WonBin'sMojo

EDIT: Okay, correction: Return of the One-Armed Swordsman beat out Dragon Swamp by about 95,000 HKD, a small margin.

1. Return of the One-Armed Swordsman - HK $1,295,394
2. Dragon Swamp - HK $1,200,385.3
3. The Golden Sword - HK $1,183,379.6
4. The Three Smiles -HK $1,106,860
5. Have Sword, Will Travel - HK $1,031,768.9
6. Raw Courage - HK $1,017,437.6

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 4

Iron_Leopard
40 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

I was looking through the HKMDB last night and all of the movies they released in 1969. I noticed that Cheng Pei-Pei's collaborations with Lo Wei -- Dragon Swamp; Raw Courage; and The Golden Sword -- were the studio's highest grossing movies for that year, with Dragon Swamp in the lead overall. Shall I take this as a testament to the popularity of Cheng Pei Pei with local audiences in the late 1960s?

That's impressive. Wonder how her last few with Lo Wei did? What were they? Brothers Five and The Shadow Whip I believe?

• Like 2

Okay, correction: Return of the One-Armed Swordsman beat out Dragon Swamp by about 95,000 HKD, a small margin.

• Like 3

Iron_Leopard
9 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

Okay, correction: Return of the One-Armed Swordsman beat out Dragon Swamp by about 95,000 HKD, a small margin.

Wang Yu and Cheng Pei Pei King and Queen of this era.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Iron_Leopard said:

That's impressive. Wonder how her last few with Lo Wei did? What were they? Brothers Five and The Shadow Whip I believe?

In 1970, Brothers Five was #3 among local releases. Lady of Steel was #9.

In 1971, The Shadow Whip was #7. 

• Like 3

Does anyone know if she ever formalized her martial arts training, or did she stick to dance the whole time?

• Like 1

galvatron1976

Cheng Pei-pei, ‘Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon’ and ‘Come Drink With Me’ Star, Dies at 78

Collection

Cheng Pei-pei, the Chinese-born actor who starred in Ang Lee’s “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and King Hu’s “Come Drink With Me,” has died. She was 78.

Cheng, considered a pioneer of martial arts roles for female actors, died in the San Francisco Bay Area on Thursday. She had long suffered from a degenerative brain disease and has donated her brain to medical research.

Born in Shanghai, on Jan. 6, 1946, Cheng moved to Hong Kong in 1962. With her ballet and dance training, she was soon working with the iconic Shaw Brothers studio. While her feature debut was drama film “Lovers’ Rock,” she became a major star in martial arts, action and swordplay movies following her breakout role in 1966 crime action film “Come Drink With Me,” directed by King Hu. The film set the tone for a sequel (“Golden Swallow” in 1968), an unrealized remake by Quentin Tarantino and a host of other female-driven action movies from East Asia. It was named as Hong Kong’s contender for the Oscars, but not nominated.

Cheng relocated again, to San Francisco in the 1970s where she raised four children and attended business school at the University of California, Irvine. All four of her children have had roles in entertainment. Harry Yuan has been a host on National Geographic. Eugenia Yuan, was a U.S. Olympic gymnast and has acted in Hong Kong films “3 Extremes II” and “The Eye 2,” Australian TV series “Secret City,” and U.S. productions “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny” and the revived “Hawaii Five-O” TV series.

Cheng’s career enjoyed a significant revival after her co-starring role as the poisonous Jade Fox in “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” in 2000. The film won four Oscars and with $128 million earned at the North American box office, became the first foreign-language film to gross more than $100 million in the market.

Her subsequent career then spanned both sides of the Pacific Ocean, with film the titles including Hong Kong actioner “Naked Weapon” (alongside a young Maggie Q) and Hyde Park Entertainment’s Capcom game adaptation “Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li.”

“To all her friends, colleagues, and fans, thank you for all the support you showed her over the years. Our mom Cheng Pei Pei wanted to be remembered for who she was: the legendary Queen of Martial Arts best known for her roles such as Golden Swallow (‘Come Drink With Me’), Madam Wah (‘The Flirting Scholar’), and Jade Fox (‘Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon’). She was a versatile, award-winning actress whose film and television career spanned six decades, not only in Asia but internationally as well in roles such as “Junn” (‘Lilting’), “Maria Wang” (‘Meditation Park’), and “The Matchmaker” (‘Mulan’),” said a statement from her family.

In 2019, Cheng was diagnosed with a neuro-degenerative, atypical parkinsonism syndrome – unofficially, Corticobasal degeneration (CBD). It is a rare disease with symptoms similar to Parkinson’s disease, however, current treatments could not slow the progression. She chose not to make this news public until now, so that she could deal with her condition in private and spend her remaining time with her four children (Eugenia, Jennifer, Harry and Marsha) and her grandchildren, the family explained. In lieu of flowers, Cheng requested that donations be made to the Brain Support Network (BSN) where her brain was donated.

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/cheng-pe-pei-dead-crouching-tiger-hidden-dragon-1236077809/

• Like 1
  • Sad 9
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Yihetuan

I realize these actor & actresses are getting up in years & dealing with various health issues but it's still shocking to hear of their passing. One of the great female pioneers of the genre & a true legend. RIP.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

De Ming Li

She seemed so alert and on the ball when doing that commentary with Bey Logan on Come Drink with Me for the Dragon Dynasty DVD, I realise that was many many years and her health in recent years has significantly declined. At 78 though, still seems to have left us too soon. RIP true pioneer and queen of swords :monk_crying:

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

ShawAngela

These are so sad news! Each time I browse this forum I'm afraid to discover such bad announcements... She was such a great actress, may she rest in peace.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Sad 2

Such a legend who left us with a great legacy. May she rest in peace. 

Kwok Choi

Yes it was a sad day indeed and a great loss.

Cheng Pei Pei was my favorite. She will surely be missed.

Our sincere condolences to Jennifer, Marsha, Eugenia, Harry Yuan and the rest of the family. 

Your dear mum will surely be missed as she took a special place in our hearts. 

May she rest in peace 🕊️

• Love 1

Shaolin Patriot

Sorry to hear the news! Rest in peace, Golden Swallow!

image.png.32a4b073f6e8935662084b2cc14d33d4.png

morpheus

This just sucks.  I'm being selfish, but just to think this is how my summer vacation has ended....Goodbye pretty princess.

chengpeipei.webp

• Like 1