General Article on BL Work Out

Jadedragon61

On 8/3/2020 at 4:16 AM, DragonClaws said:

Source- https://www.eu.sixpad.com/2020/05/bruce-lees-secret-training-technique-ems/

Was Sonny Chiba's use of the EMS device in Soul of Chiba(1977), inspired by Bruce Lee?.

I still remember that scene with that weird contraption that Chiba was using.:hvb_laughing: For those not familiar, you can see it here (timestamped).

• Like 3

Image for post

The Dragon’s Philosophy: Training Principles of Bruce Lee (Micah Le'Gare)

Link- https://medium.com/in-fitness-and-in-health/the-dragons-philosophy-training-principles-of-bruce-lee-f9a6e8079118

Bruce Lee. The Legend. The Dragon. It’s easy to forget that past the glorification of his larger than life persona was simply a man driven by fitness. Underneath the superficiality of his 3-inch punch or one-handed push ups was just a guy whose training helped expand the boundaries of his physical abilities- something we can all strive for and attain in the gym.

• Like 3

DragonClaws

listen in for some thoughts on Bruce Lee’s fitness through the eyes of a professional trainer and to get some much needed inspiration for the year ahead. Shannon feels like we could all use a little motivation and strength as this year kicks off so who better to talk to than trainer, Ben Bruno!

#212 Flowing with Ben Bruno - (Pod-Cast)

Link- https://brucelee.com/podcast-blog/2021/1/14/212-flowing-with-ben-bruno

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/83/8e/59/838e59b3d4404770ceb820ff4ab7298c.jpg

• Like 2

dionbrother

There's no mention of Bruce in the Leo Fong & Ron Marchini Power Training In Kung-Fu And Karate book.  Leo learned about weightlifting from bodybuilder Bill Pearl.  Pearl's physique was so massive in the 1950s, he scared Sean Connery out of bodybuilding competitions.

• Like 3

DragonClaws
17 hours ago, dionbrother said:

Leo learned about weightlifting from bodybuilder Bill Pearl.  Pearl's physique was so massive in the 1950s, he scared Sean Connery out of bodybuilding competitions.

My dad met Bill Pearl at the 1971 NABBA MR Universe, and he still has his autograph. Sean Connery's bodybuilding appearances, helped him to land one of his first major films roles. After that, he focused on movie making instead.

• Like 2

dionbrother

Connery had said he quit bodybuilding when Bill Pearl came to the UK for a competition. Americans like Pearl were bulking up(with England's Reg Park following) and he wasn't interested in adding that type of weight for contests. Would have worked against his acting and modeling career,as talent agents discouraged actors from bulking up like bodybuilders in the 50s.  It's why Steve Reeves couldn't get a decent acting gig(unless you want to count Ed Wood's JAIL BAIT, which I do not) until the Italians made HERCULES.  Having followed martial arts media since 1980, I never noticed Bruce Lee connected with bodybuilding publications until John Little wrote those articles in the 90s.  Before that, most karate mag articles emphasized Bruce working out like a boxer, with lots of endurance and tendon/grip strengthening routines. Likely much of it was lifted from the FIGHTING METHOD books. When Little had access to Lee's workout journals, it changed the perspective quite a bit.

• Like 2

DragonClaws
On 4/17/2021 at 9:21 AM, dionbrother said:

Connery had said he quit bodybuilding when Bill Pearl came to the UK for a competition. Americans like Pearl were bulking up(with England's Reg Park following) and he wasn't interested in adding that type of weight for contests.

I heard him say he quit, when his film career took off and that he was never that serious to begin with. Bodybuilding was undergoing a big change at the time.

It's why Steve Reeves couldn't get a decent acting gig(unless you want to count Ed Wood's JAIL BAIT, which I do not) until the Italians made HERCULES. 

The Italian producers asked Steve Reeves to drop weight for the role of Hercules. Which made no sense at all, just like when Arnold Schwarzenegger was told to drop weight for Stay Hungry. Which made no sense either, becuase he was playing a bodybuilder/Pro Wrestler.

Having followed martial arts media since 1980, I never noticed Bruce Lee connected with bodybuilding publications until John Little wrote those articles in the 90s.  Before that, most karate mag articles emphasized Bruce working out like a boxer, with lots of endurance and tendon/grip strengthening routines. Likely much of it was lifted from the FIGHTING METHOD books. When Little had access to Lee's workout journals, it changed the perspective quite a bit.

Thats right, in the late 90's Bruce Lee started to appear on the cover of Muscle & Fitness etc.

• Like 1

DragonClaws
10 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

Jimmy Araki was another user of it.

My friend had one, he would use it while playing video games. I never got into them, I prefer to train my stomach with free weights.

• Like 3

DragonClaws

Arthur Jones explains why Isometric exercise isn't very productive ,in this old interview. It not a surpise that people continue to make profits from selling this style of training to the public even in the 21st century.

• Like 2