General Article on BL Work Out

Jadedragon61

More information, relating to BL and weight training, thanks to this interview with the late Ted Wong.

Ted Wong(Far left), with fellow Martial Artists, BL and Dan Inosanto.

560aeb90b306778d02d9159f7ea5ade7.jpg

...I remember later that he once told me,"Ted, you need to work on your basic requirements." Ididn't know what he meant by this, and so I asked him, "What's that?" Bruce just smiled and said, "Well, you need some muscle." (Ted laughs).

So, he said, "Why don't you come over to my house and I'll get you fixed up in that department." So I went to Bruce Lee's (TM) house and he drove me over to a place that sold barbell sets, and nutritional products. The York Barbell Club owned the store and Bruce Lee (TM) had me buy some "Crash Weight Gain" powder and a goodbasic barbell set.

Who manufactured the weight gain product?

TED WONG: Bob Hoffman, who used to publish Strength & Health magazine, manufactured it. I purchased two cases of the weight gain powder. I remember that the directions called for me to take "one can a day." Bruce also had me purchase a bench press and then he set up a special program for me to train on.

Do you remember what that program consisted of?

TED WONG: Well, basically it was just a general conditioning program consisting of bench presses, press-behind-the-neck, deadlifts, bent-over rows, squats, sit-ups, curls, reverse curls, and things like that. I perforrned two sets of 10 repetitions per exercise and worked up in reps, but I never performed more than 20 repetitions. This routine was perforrned three days a week with the weights, and then I did two days a week with martial art.

How well did the program work for you in "putting on muscle?

TED WONG: It worked really well! Bruce Lee (TM) weighed me first and then constantly checked my progress to see how much weight and size I increased. I believe that in three months I went from 132 pounds to 147 pounds -- a total of 15 pounds gained -- and it was all muscle. It was the heaviest I've ever been. I found, however, that if I didn't keep taking the weight gain powder and hitting the weights that I couldn't maintain that bodyweight.

How long did it take you to notice progress in your martial arts training once you started training privately with Bruce Lee (TM)?

TED WONG: Pretty much right away. I was pretty gung-ho and pretty intense. The way that Bruce Lee (TM) spoke and taught you conveyed that he meant serious business. He always tried to condition your mind to try and give you the proper example ofhow to train. Bruce had me running with him in addition to the martial arts and weight training, and then I'd go out to the stores with him to get certain types of vitamins. He would tell me what to get and what they did for your body.

Were there any other physical fitness devices that Bruce Lee (TM) thought would be helpful for the martial artist?

TED WONG: Bruce Lee (TM) always was working on ways to improve his supplemental conditioning for the martial arts. I remember that he had me buy a weighted belt -- not a weightlifting belt, but a belt that weighed about 10 pounds that you wore around your waist. He had me run with that as a forrn of progressive resistance to both the muscles and the cardiovascular system, as both the heart and the muscles had to work harder to carry my body over the distance I was running with this additional weight. I even sparred wearing that. I didn't really know at the time how quick my progress was, but because of his personal attention and advice, I really began to progress quite quickly and catch up to the level of the rest of the students.

For the complete interview, please click on the link below, thank you.

Link- http://www.stickgrappler.net/2013/11/in-memory-of-ted-wong-november-5-1937.html

• Like 1

Ted Wong - "Bruce would do a lot of different types of sit ups and bench presses. He was also using a technique like the Weider Heavy/Light Principle, working up to 260lbs in the bench press for three sets of 10 on his heavy days and then repping out for 20-30 reps with 100lbs on his light days. Bruce experimented successfully with partial reps, movements performed in only the strongest motion. He liked the fact that they were very explosive, sometimes he would do the bench press, using just the last 3 inches of the range of motion. It was the same range in which he would do some of his isometric
exercises. His one-inch punch could send a 300lbs man across the floor over 5 metres."

Link- https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=113325661&page=1

IKF%201994-09%20Cov.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

Bruce Lee's modification of the wing chun dummy for more resistance and impact training as well as his methods for training finger grip strength as explained by the legendary Richard Bustillo

• Like 1

Bruce Lee's former weightlifting partner and Martial Arts student, the late Allen Joe.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

DragonClaws

The kettlebell is a cast iron or cast steel ball with a handle attached to the top (resembling a cannonball with a handle).[1] It is used to perform many types of exercises, including ballistic exercises that combine cardiovascular, strength and flexibility training. They are also the primary equipment used in the weight lifting sport of kettlebell lifting.

Wikipedia- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kettlebell

John Saxon in top shape aged 70+, perform's single arm kettlebell lift.

image.png

Thought I would share this email I just got from John Saxon:

Meeting Bruce Lee for the first time in Hong Kong I saw his house had a large Home Gym with many pieces of equipment; some of which he'd designed. On the floor were also a pair of plate loaded Kettlebells the same as I had bought from Iron Man magazine, and kept in my Garage Gym in L.A. After a little conversation Bruce showed me that he used Kettlebells by doing a Swing with a vertical fist...and freezing it for an instant 'hold' for punching power.

I can imagine if Bruce were alive today he'd be doing the Kettlebell FRONT and SIDE SNATCHES as demonstrated by Kenneth Jay in Pavel's RETURN of the KETTLEBELL.

I do!

John Saxon

Source- http://kbforum.dragondoor.com/kettlebells-strength-conditioning-forum/136449-bruce-lee-kettlebells-personal-email-john-saxon-me.html

Bruce Lee Used A Kettlebell, Should You? (Article)

Link- http://www.formfunctionclinic.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/11Nov_Healthtalk1.pdf

John “Roper” Saxon and the Kettlebell (Article)

Link- https://www.strongfirst.com/it-is-strength-that-makes-all-other-values-possible/

John Saxon had been serious about iron since his teens and we quickly hit it off. We started meeting and training on the beach in Santa Monica. Several months of ladders later, seventy-two year old Saxon was strictly pressing a 70-pounder.

In a most unexpected manner, it all came full circle.

Bruce Lee showed John Saxon the kettlebell swing the very first day they met.

A decade later, Bruce Lee’s lethal grace is partly to blame for getting me bitten by the iron bug.

Two more decades go by, and I teach kettlebells to “Roper.”

-Pavel Tsatsouline

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

DragonClaws

”In addition to his expert kung fu skills, James Yimm Lee was also an accomplished weightlifter and helped get Bruce Lee started in a weight-training program, which subsequently resulted in his sculptured physique. James Yimm Lee worked as a welder in the local shipyards, and he used this skill in designing and constructing many unique training devices he and Bruce Lee used in their workouts.” 1

Source- https://localwiki.org/oakland/James_Yimm_Lee

James Yimm-Lee with Bruce Lee.

05f98ddde9161f95691755aab71a7dc6.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

DragonClaws

This leg raise/chin-up station, is no different to any other out there. Apart from they've put Bruce Lee's name on it, thats all. Joe Wieder released an indentical one, under the Power Tower name. There many already on the market, sold under various names. Having the Little Dragons name on it, wont make you any stronger or faster, or give you a bgger desire to train.

The exact same thing applies to the bench too. Once somone in the sports/fitness indsutry, reaches a certain leve of populairty. They all nearly come out with some form of branded weight training equipment. Which often just turn out to be someone elses idea, repackaged.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

DragonClaws

Bruce Lee’s Bodybuilding Workout To Pack On Serious Muscle

Link- https://bruceleetraining.com/bruce-lee-bodybuilding-workout/

What weightlifting exercises did Bruce Lee do that made his lower body so strong?

Link- https://www.quora.com/What-weightlifting-exercises-did-Bruce-Lee-do-that-made-his-lower-body-so-strong

I wonder who this author is reffering to as Bruce Lee's two buddies from San Francisco?, and what the source if this information is?.

With the assistance of two bodybuilding buddies in San Francisco, Lee devised a mass, bulk and size-focused three-day-per-week (Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays) Bruce Lee bodybuilding program that he used from 1965 to 1970. This Bruce Lee weight training workout for muscle growth emphasizes the legs, triceps, biceps, and forearms, all of these being the muscle groups used most frequently as a martial artist.

458za_l.jpg

5986aee10f1315c848d366cdf892b8c4.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

DragonClaws

Bruce Lee – Principles, Workout, & Diet

Was he really that good?

…or was it the movies that made it look like it?

Link- http://savvystrength.com/bruce-lee-fitness/

When Bruce Lee was invited to his former school La Salle, to hand out student award's. They wanted him to display his physique and perform a few poses. The picture below is from that very event.

1482b3f4a4ead1da9ace4f3215c649b0--franci

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

DragonClaws

Bruce Lee: Strength Training and Martial Arts: Pod-Cast

Link- http://jasonferruggia.com/bruce-lee/

My guest on today’s podcast is Charles Russo, who wrote an outstanding new book about Bruce called Striking Distance: Bruce Lee and The Dawn of Martial Arts in America.

Charles is full of incredible, little-known stories about Bruce that he shares with us today.

old-school-barbell-workout-promo-image.j

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

DragonClaws

In fact, he commented about drinking blood from time to time. Of course, I didn’t think that strange because my grandfather, a rancher, drank the blood of his sheep after the slaughter. He said it tasted like warm milk. It does, I tried it!

Later, on Bruce’s suggestion, I drank a high-protein drink which included crushed egg shells among other ingredients, but I had a stomach ache for days. Once, jogging up Mulholland Drive at the intersection of Roscomare, I looked up and incredulously saw Mr Lee running up the steep hill at a fast clip… backward! Of course, I tried that too and pulled a hamstring.

Martial Arts Legends: Bruce Lee by Brenda Venus

Source- http://www.brendavenus.com/?p=182

691full-brenda-venus.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

DragonClaws

The latest issue of long running magazine Muscle & Fitness, features BL on the cover this month. In a photo-shopped/enhanced image from ETD, which has Mr Lee looking healthier then he did while making the actual movie. More secret work-out's, not featured in John Little book from the Estate.

I really wish Bolo Yeung had got round to releasing his book on BL's use of resistance weight training. Maybe the project was stopped for legal reason'?.

image.png

An earlier edition, with the exact same photoshopped/enhanced cover image.

81Ctk5bSHML.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

DragonClaws

Writing in his new book Bruce Lee: A Life, Polly sheds new light on Lee's workout and nutrition plan. According to Polly, Lee was in fact the very first martial artist to train like a modern athlete.

At the time, Hollywood was dominated by tall, white men, and Lee felt he needed to train extremely hard in order to muscle his way into lead roles. Lee's regimented workout and diet plan helped him achieve this and shoot to stardom. His journey is arguably even more interesting than any of the fictional roles he played.

Bruce Lee's workout routine and diet plan revealed in new book

Link- https://www.joe.co.uk/fitness-health/bruce-lee-workout-diet-232707

main-qimg-4a7db67c898b1bc733a7dbf3ad40f0

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1