General Article on BL Work Out

Jadedragon61

Bruce's lats, forearms, and abs have always been a source of wonder to me! The guy was one in a million, both genetically and for dedication.

• Like 3

NoKUNGFUforYU

My understanding is that he used steroids for back pain, not for bodybuilding. He had scoliosis, which I can tell you from experience will only let you get so far in high impact sports. One of the reasons I have serious doubts he could have been a great MMA guy. Structurally unsound. What I mean is, speed, technique, etc are there, but a few good shocks to the spine (getting seriously thrown or slammed) that would not stop someone with a normal spine would be very painful to someone with scoliosis. Just no room for error.

• Like 3

DragonClaws
11 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

My understanding is that he used steroids for back pain, not for bodybuilding. He had scoliosis, which I can tell you from experience will only let you get so far in high impact sports. One of the reasons I have serious doubts he could have been a great MMA guy. Structurally unsound. What I mean is, speed, technique, etc are there, but a few good shocks to the spine (getting seriously thrown or slammed) that would not stop someone with a normal spine would be very painful to someone with scoliosis. Just no room for error.

Once he had the back injury, MMA would have been out of the question, even with cortisone shots. He used to suffer from back pain so bad, that after day filming, he would struggle tot ake his own shoes off. The fact he recovered at all, is a testment to his spirit.

• Like 3

On 10/7/2018 at 9:33 AM, Phantom Dreamer said:

General Overall Development

Volume traing was very big back then, still very popular now, but little was known about recovery. Like Chuck Norris once pointed, Lee wanted to get as big as he could.

Its no put down, but he might have scaled down the volume, becuase it was just too much for him to do. Unlike bodybuilders, who pour all their time and energy into muscle building alone. BL was also burning energy/carloies from training his students, doing his own Martial Arts related training. Not to mention pursueing a career in Hollywood. Along with running and cycling, the human body only has so much energy to divide up.

Arnold Schwazenegger didnt try to take his Mr Olympia phsique into Hollywood, he scaled it right down and lost a lot of weight. There's no way, he could keep up the same level of training, and be making movies. Making a film on a Hollywood scale is a big thing, with long hours on set. Just take a look at all the training he did for Conana, that wasnt weights related.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

Phantom Dreamer
2 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Volume traing was very big back then, still very popular now, but little was known about recovery. Like Chuck Norris once pointed, Lee wanted to get as big as he could.

I think Lee wanted to avoid "bulky" muscles. There is a lot of discrepancy on how much Bruce Lee weighed at his heaviest. In a magazine article in the late 1990s, Bob Wall stated "when I left him in March (1973) he weighed 151 pounds, and I mean he was chiseled". That seems to me to be on the high side. In one of the Bruce Lee Magazine articles, it might have been the issue I posted above, John Little said Bruce Lee's "career high" was 165 pounds. Again, that seems high to me, but I suppose Bruce Lee could have been north of 150 when he did the Green Hornet, he certainly was much fuller in the face than his later years.

Edited by Phantom Dreamer
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Phantom Dreamer said:

I think Lee wanted to avoid "bulky" muscles. There is a lot of discrepancy on how much Bruce Lee weighed at his heaviest.

Maybe, though his weight was pretty good, right until he hurt his back, after which he clearly changed his approch to training. Just a theory, but I think he got lighter due to the inkury, rather than personal choice?.

7 hours ago, Phantom Dreamer said:

In a magazine article in the late 1990s, Bob Wall stated "when I left him in March (1973) he weighed 151 pounds, and I mean he was chiseled". That seems to me to be on the high side. In one of the Bruce Lee Magazine articles, it might have been the issue I posted above, John Little said Bruce Lee's "career high" was 165 pounds. Again, that seems high to me, but I suppose Bruce Lee could have been north of 150 when he did the Green Hornet, he certainly was much fuller in the face than his later years.

Only picture could prove what Wall said is true, and there's not many of those from his final weeks. I can beleive he weighed 165 during his time in the U.S, John Little also said he was around 123lbs?, during the making of ETD. It's a long time since I read his book on BL weight training habits.

Originally posted by @Phantom Dreamer.

• Like 2

1973ba0d1559caedb55d04cac472df79.jpg

BL performs a standing press, with an Olympic Bar.

Warm Marble: The Lethal Physique of Bruce Lee - By John Little

Introduction by Mike Mentzer

Link- http://www.mikementzer.com/blee.html

The Bruce Lee Workout Page – Fitness and Strength Training

Link- https://www.motleyhealth.com/fitness/bruce-lee-workout

• Like 1

lee2.jpg

The Bruce Lee Bodybuilding Connection

Link- https://generationiron.com/bruce-lee-bodybuilding-connection/

What prompted this interest in physical conditioning? After engaging in combat with a fellow kung fu practitioner, a ramification for his decision to continuing to teach non Chinese the Chinese martial arts, Lee was disappointed in his performance. Even in victory he acknowledged that he was physically lacking particularly in the conditioning department. His hunger for knowledge brought him to bodybuilding, weightlifting, and other forms of strength and conditioning avenues.

The truth, Lee was already aware of weights and their benefits. Accroding to an article by LJF, over at Nick Clarkes BL Lives forum. It was BL's sister Phoebe, who's boyfrined, first introduced Lee to basic weight training, back in Hong Kong. He also worked with a guy at Ruby Chow, who shared the same interest. Cant recall this mans name?, but he took BL to muscle Beach Carlifornia, when weekend. This all took place before the WJM fight.

Now I know what you’re thinking. Bruce Lee wasn’t a bodybuilder nor did he have the massive figure associated with the sport,

Sadly the modern image of a bodybulder, is a 300 pound plus monster, with a gut as wide as their shoulders. Bodybuilders come in all shapes and sizes, from all parts of the world. You only need to go to the local gym to see this. Not everyone is born with a large frame, or the genetics to be a Mr Olympia, but this doesnt mean there any less of a Bodybuilder or weghtlifter. BL was certainly not a pro-bodybuilder, but all the trade-marks were there, and he knew just how to present himself on film or in public.

• Like 1

Phantom Dreamer
15 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

The truth, Lee was already aware of weights and their benefits. Accroding to an article by LJF, over at Nick Clarkes BL Lives forum. It was BL's sister Phoebe, who's boyfrined, first introduced Lee to basic weight training, back in Hong Kong.

Robert Chan, who once dated Bruce's sister Phoebe, was one of the men who first introduced Bruce Lee to weight training. The "LJF" translated interview.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/bruceleelivestributeforum/robert-chan-on-bruce-lee-t3630.html#p21293

• Like 2

On 10/13/2018 at 3:45 AM, Phantom Dreamer said:

Robert Chan, who once dated Bruce's sister Phoebe, was one of the men who first introduced Bruce Lee to weight training. The "LJF" translated interview.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/bruceleelivestributeforum/robert-chan-on-bruce-lee-t3630.html#p21293

Thanks for that, if only someone had done a few more in depth interviews with him.

Sounds like childhood friend Wu Ngan, spent more time living in the U.K, than H.K.

For those who don't know what Robert Chan looks like, he's the guy in the centre on this image.

TheWayoftheDragon+1972-40-b.jpg

Mr Chan, also had minor parts in Fist of Fury and played one of Han's guards in Enter The Dragon, maybe as one of the Ching Wu students?, I'm less familiar with that movie. Chan can also be seen helping out BL family, in the documentary BL The an & The Legend. He would also go on to have minor parts in the Chan Sing film Tiger Force, Kung Fu 10th Dan, The Evil Snake Girl, The Fighting Dragon.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

Phantom Dreamer

Chan had a minor role in Way of the Dragon and can be seen briefly in Enter the Dragon. I don't recall him in Fist of Fury. His somewhat bulky physique was more similar to Bolo's than Bruce Lee's.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Phantom Dreamer said:

I don't recall him in Fist of Fury.

My error, it was Fist To Fist, a non BL movie.

6 hours ago, Phantom Dreamer said:

His somewhat bulky physique was more similar to Bolo's than Bruce Lee's.

Yes, he has the same body type as Bolo Yeung.

• Like 1

Phantom Dreamer

Bruce Lee's 20-Minute Strength and Shape Routine: 

Clean and press: 2 sets of 8 
Squat: 2 sets of 12 
Barbell pullover: 2 sets of 8 
Bench press: 2 sets of 6 
Good Morning: 2 sets of 8 
Barbell Curl: 2 sets of 8 

Done 3 days a week. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Phantom Dreamer said:

Bruce Lee's 20-Minute Strength and Shape Routine: 

Clean and press: 2 sets of 8 
Squat: 2 sets of 12 
Barbell pullover: 2 sets of 8 
Bench press: 2 sets of 6 
Good Morning: 2 sets of 8 
Barbell Curl: 2 sets of 8 

Done 3 days a week. 

The Good Morning excercise is what changed Lee's life for good, by giving him the back injury, and here it still included in his workout. Thats one thing they should have up-dated, or at least made people aware off.

Just opinion, but I'd replace that movment with the deadlift, which strengthens your lower back, without the same risks. It's a good basic powerlifting excercise.

People still use the good morning excercise, but as this illustration shows, its easy to see how you hurt your lower back.

2-3a-barbell-good-morning.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

Phantom Dreamer
6 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

The Good Morning excercise is what changed Lee's life for good, by giving him the back injury, and here it still included in his workout. Thats one thing they should have up-dated, or at least made people aware off.

Just opinion, but I'd replace that movment with the deadlift, which strengthens your lower back, without the same risks. It's a good basic powerlifting excercise.

People still use the good morning excercise, but as this illustration shows, its easy to see how you hurt your lower back.

That passage (20-minute workout) was included in 'The Art of Expressing the Human Body' and they cautioned people about the Good Morning exercise and they (Little) included a quote Bruce Lee supposedly said to Inosanto, "doing weighted good mornings was stupid of me, all you need is the bar itself."

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Phantom Dreamer said:

That passage (20-minute workout) was included in 'The Art of Expressing the Human Body' and they cautioned people about the Good Morning exercise and they (Little) included a quote Bruce Lee supposedly said to Inosanto, "doing weighted good mornings was stupid of me, all you need is the bar itself."

Ive seen the regime copied a lot online, but know-one appears to mention what John Little did in his book.

Bruce Lee owned and used custom made Roman chair. Heavy piece of exercise equipment is made of iron, with a cushion covered in mint green vinyl. Chair was made for Lee by Herb Jackson, an iron-worker by trade, whose well-documented friendship with Lee began while he trained in Jeet Kune Do at Lee's Los Angeles martial arts academy in Chinatown. Lee, impressed with the older fighter's background in street fighting, in time befriended his student and invited him to train at his home, calling on Jackson to craft custom training equipment for use in Jeet Kune Do. Just before his fateful move to Hong Kong, Lee gifted many pieces of his martial arts equipment to Jackson. Roman chair measures 48'' x 13.75'' x 18.25'' and weighs 30 pounds. One segment is wrapped in foam and tape. Near fine. With a COA from Herb Jackson's son. More on Herb Jackson and Lee's custom training equipment can be found on the official website of the Bruce Lee Foundation at

http://bruceleefoundation.org/index.cfm/page/KNOWING-IS-NOT-ENOUGH-Interview-with-George-Lee/cdid/10669/pid/10225

45012_lg.jpeg