Broken Oath (1977)

SMK

BrokenOath-poster.jpg
Let me start by saying, "HOLY FREAKIN' CRAP!"

Why haven't I seen this movie before? Yes, this was my first time watching this magnificent film. I am not going to review it or anything here, but I just wanted to say a few words about it for those that haven't seen it yet.

This is a MUST SEE film!

I loved everything about this movie, and keep in mind I saw a custom version of the film, which was the Joy Sales beautiful widescreen print with the custom added original English dub.

The plot was excellent, a very easy story to follow. The characters were all great, especially Angela Mao's and Bruce Liang. This movie was right on so many levels, the action, weapons, the talent, plot twist, and it even had some "boobies", for all your horn dogs out there. This really was a great film. Highly recommended. Even the English dub was top quality.

Are there any of you that has seen this film, but DIDN'T like it, I would be interested in learning why?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We must be thinking alike, 'cuz I just started an Angela thread :tongueout

Took me a minute to locate 破戒 茅瑛. Will be sure to check it out... I don't remember this flick :thinking

Angela Mao's best film along with Hapkido. She has great intensity and the story is good even tho its a remake of Lady Snowblood. Sammo Hung has a great part as a villain and the chorepgraphy by Yuen Woo Ping is fabulous in displaying the skills of the actors especially Bruce Liangs kick.

If you dont have this film buy :smile it now!!!

Somewhere in 1999 I borrowed a VHS in which was called The Best Of Martial Arts Films:-) And there was a short clip of Broken Oath. I immediately knew it´s gonna be a great flick. Then it took me several years till I discovered how to order a dvd on the internet and ......I own the Joy Sales dvd and I like the film very much. For some reason I keep it always together with the vcd of Shaolin Plot. I feel like those two films are somehow related.

I've had this on my watch list on Ebay for ages...looks like I need to nab it sooner rather than latter. Thanks for the awesome looking heads up :)

I've had this on my watch list on Ebay for ages...looks like I need to nab it sooner rather than latter. Thanks for the awesome looking heads up :)

I'm in the mood to watch this one again actually. :rockon

Only related to Broken Oath because of Angela Mao, but I recently saw When Taekwondo Strikes for the first time. I had once read a review on it that kept me away from it for several years, but after seeing it I have no idea as to why because it was fantastic, on par with Hapkido, which I only mention since they were made real close together.

this was my 2nd Angela Mao expirience after watching Lady Whirlwind so not only was it a great follow up, but it unbelievably got BETTER!! Put me on the course for Mao adoration for sure :love

If u r not familiar with the Japanese film Lady Snowblood(KFC REVIEW) I would suggest you get onto it quick while Broken Oath still bounces around your head as it is the 'original' (as pointed out in the Broken Oath review at KFC).

One major difference, other than the appropriated story changes would be the Japanese exploitation style of filmmaking. Lady Snowblood not only has more death & blood, but also the obligatory sexual prowess of the feminine form (read: naked boobies) used as a weapon. Both Lady Snowblood films are high on my list :thumbsup (say top 100 I guess...the list is huge) of must see martial cinema.

Definately up there with the Lone Wolf, Zatoichi, & Hanzo series in the exploitation stakes as well as the martial arts execution (pun sort of intended :tongueout )

I do have the Lady Snowblood films in my collection, I just never got around to watching them. After reading your post, I've bumped it to the top of my watch pile. :smile

Thanks for posting!

I bet it was the boobies that shuffled the pile, I know they shuffle my pile :coveredlaugh LOL

but still, I think I watched more samurai & ninja flix b4 going full dub fu style so I have a bit more patience for the old Japanese films than a few people I know. Im sure the members of the chamber will appreciate the Lady Snowblood films tho as they have a historical place in the entire scheme of things.

Heaps of hipster wankers I know tried watching them after the kill bill fad. "What movie did that reference?" they cried, so I show them & they say its boring...pffft, your metro haircut & ill fitting clothes bore me...taste the wrath of my iron palm :punch

thers no accounting for poor taste :finger

Archived