Kim Tai Jung

ben

I searched around and didn't see this reported before, so for anybody interested, some news on Kim Tae Jeong, a few months late but better than never..

Kim Tae Jong a.k.a. Tong Lung, best known as the stand in/stunt double for Bruce Lee in "Game of Death" and "Game of Death 2"/"Tower of Death", made a very rare public appearance in July 2008 as part of a retrospective on "hwalgeuk" - Korean action movies from the 70s-80s, which was presented during the Pucheon International Fantastic Film Festival 2008.

http://oldtheater.net/zbxe/files/attach/images/938/922/mega%20talk%20001.jpg

There is some press from his appearance going around in Korean which I am trying to put together, however the biggest interest is that he was actually there following a screening of a film he did in 1981 called "Agassi chameuseyo". The Film Festival presented the film under the english title "Miss, Please Be Patient", however it could also be identified under the title "Be Patient, Young Lady". From the descriptions I have seen, it appears to be an action/comedy.

Here is a shot from the movie:

http://www.pifan.com/uploads/program/stillcut_2200806252321.jpg

The Korean Film Archive appears to have two prints in their archives. They also mention a VHS release.

They also have another film of his in their database, called "Insa Ya-tu (Insa-yatu)", from 1981, although they do not mention a VHS release, they only have one release print in their archive.

The following two films may also be his, but not mentioned on KMDB or Korean Film Archive website:

-"Ireon yeoja eobtnayo" (1981)

-"Mojeong" a.k.a "A Mother's Love" (1983)

There's always been some speculation about other films Kim Tae Jeong did, and for anybody who is curious, is there any way to follow this up?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nice post always wondered what happened to this guy, but who was the actor that played billy lo for the non action scenes from game of death '78

Kim Tae Jeong was the body double, used as the physical illusion of Bruce Lee (when he is walking, fighting etc). Yuen Biao did the stunts/more complex fight scenes. There was yet another person that they used for the dialogue scenes/close ups, but I'm not sure what his name is.

Nice!!! And he's sitting next to Casanova Wong!!!

Great photos aren't they..

If I can get hold of more I'll post them here.

Just wish we could get hold of his other films now..

Anyone from Korea around here who can visit the Film Archive?..

... just like when he was doubling for Lee in GOD, he's still hiding his face? I cannot even tell if that's him, or if he looks the same. I can see Cassanova Wong's cool white hair and ponytail! :)

... just like when he was doubling for Lee in GOD, he's still hiding his face? I cannot even tell if that's him, or if he looks the same. I can see Cassanova Wong's cool white hair and ponytail! :)

I just got the link again; here is a better photo of Kim Tae Jeong, and another photo of Casanova Wong

http://oldtheater.net/zbxe/files/attach/images/938/922/mega%20talk%20003.jpg

When I get all the press together and translated roughly at least I'll put it all on my KTJ website..

Yep... That's him alright. Thanks Bengs for the photos.:)

No problem, I'm glad if people enjoyed the photos and the info, but I can't take credit for it. Thanks for the organization and/or individuals who took the photos in the first place..

There are bits of an interview going around as well, nothing groundbreaking, just some personal reflections from Mr Tae Jeong Kim, I'm following this up at the moment also.

Thanks Morgoth i really appreciate it. Kim is specific he did quit few films but they are great, also out all those guys that came from that period Kim was most honorable because when he saw that there is no way he can get out of Bruce Lee's shadow he just left HK and went to Korea, even if i personally think that he never imitated Bruce. When Bruce Le and those other guys became old and unusefull they began with stories that they never wanted to play Bruce, if thats true why they didn't give up like Kim? They could find another job, but no they enjoyed in spending money that they got from those low grade chop sockies. Also there is one info, i heard somewhere but im not sure (and i hope it is not true) that Kim gave up from acting job because of his sons death, i really hope that is not right but it is very possible.

"After 3 years of hard work Tower of Death..."

That film took three years?! I would have guessed more like three weeks. :laugh

Three weeks?? Movie was awesome man :punch

Much better than GAME OF DEATH "4 years in the making."-0:39

[bBvideo 620,385]

[/bBvideo]

Archived