Best documentaries?

Omni Dragon

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For Bruce, I think that "Warrior's Journey" was quite good.

Best for Japanese arts was definitely Budo: The Art of Killing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budo:_The_Art_of_Killing

For KF weapons, the BBC had one called "Kung Fu Killers – 10 Deadliest Weapons" that was ok as a general weapons intro.

For MA film, I like the one Saxon hosted, The Best of the Martial Arts Films (1990).

There was one on Shaw's that I saw in French and Chinese versions... And I can't remember :angry the title

I have, no doubt, forgot some...

I like the Deadliest Art for just pure highlights of movies. There was a series on cable a couple of years ago that I have been trying to remember that did a really good job going through the history of martial arts films. I also like The Incredibly Strange Film Show that is on set while Jackie is shooting Police Story.

I just remembered "The Warrior Within".

I've got a DVD copy: love it for the guys it has (e.g. Ron Taganashi, Moses Powell, Wai Hong, and a lot of other old-time East Coast MA dudes), but the filming is like something out of high-school.

Certainly worthwhile if you haven't seen it, and if your "hardcore", despite it's silly flaws, I rate it a "must-have"!

Found this site where it's about 10 bucks. http://thewarriorwithin.com/index.html

kungfumoviecinema

The celestial shaw brothers documentary is good it goes through kung fu,sword play and girls its in like 3 parts a good doc :rockon

I like the old Whicker's World one about the Shaw Brothers studio. You get to see pops choreographing fights as well as interviews with David Chiang, etc.

The celestial shaw brothers documentary is good it goes through kung fu,sword play and girls its in like 3 parts a good doc :rockon

Found out about this one fairly recently, DYING to find it.

I like the old Whicker's World one about the Shaw Brothers studio. You get to see pops choreographing fights as well as interviews with David Chiang, etc.

Which one is this? Is it also on dvd?

My copy was downloaded from usenet some years ago, but I do know it's been in trading circles for a long time. The quality is not great, as it was filmed on a camcorder during a private screening. Here's a youtube link:

[bBvideo 620,385]

[/bBvideo]

I have it on DVD somewhere. Contact me via PM if you'd like a copy.

Is it a copy of a download, or off a store bought dvd?

shaolin swords

i think its a copy off of a download it coulb be a store bought dvd also i did not ask him about that so i dont know

thanks again kaleyboy :cool:cool

Is it a copy of a download, or off a store bought dvd?

Like I said in a previous post, I downloaded it from Usenet some years ago. It was made during a private screening of the documentary. As far as I know, it's the only version that exists (except of course for whoever owns the original version that was shown privately). This is a copy that was downloaded, it's never been released officially on retail DVD.

Archived