Chang Shan

Morgoth Bauglir

Morgoth Bauglir
Morgoth what is Chang Shan's kung fu background?

Thanks GD Y-Y

I don’t know for sure but judging by his kicks he has to have taekwondo in his backround. And he's amazing with his hands so I would also guess boxing and some styles of kung fu.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
I don’t know for sure but judging by his kicks he has to have taekwondo in his backround. And he's amazing with his hands so I would also guess boxing and some styles of kung fu.

What ever his background Mr. Shan does a mean kung fu villain............. always!

GD Y-Y

Morgoth Bauglir

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTEHkjo1roS1OG7KZQFQUvZNwRQZTTULDGISZSg_kbHUDvOC3ubchen-shan_seven-steps-of-kung-fu_893fa97dcc0eb74e0d6894782a56fbd2.jpgChenShan-4-t.jpg

TheBarrenVirgin+1985-23-b.jpg

ChenShan-1-t.jpgOfCooksandKungFu+1979-8-t.jpgDrugTiger+1993-6-t.jpgan_29cd127c5693f4b881f3ba2f90b34fee.jpgchenshan_4c7de7f0ff76f352b1d2541c7c7857f2.jpg

Best known for his role in Shaolin vs Lama where he played the head villain. He mainly played villains, but occasionally got to be a good guy, and even once got a leading role, in Wild Panther. He performed well in the good guy roles, but as a villain he really excelled.

Unlike many actors, he was just as good at oldschool shapes choreography as he was at the 80’s and 90’s kickboxing choreography. Good actor, with onscreen fighting skills that were second to none. These are the reasons why he has always been my favorite kung fu actor.

Chang Shan is not one of those guys you hear about having limited to no martial arts training before starring in movies. He was the real deal, which is obvious when you see his superb kicking abilities and lightning fast hands. He was a real fighter, not just a guy who looked good fighting onscreen. What style he trained in is unknown to me, but he appears to be highly trained in boxing, kickboxing and tae kwon do. Also, his stances, handwork and footwork are up there with anybody I've seen on screen, which leads me to believe he had to be trained in some kung fu styles.

There used to be a 5 minute interview with Chang Shan on Toby Russell’s youtube channel. Here’s a bit of info from that interview- When he was younger he had a pony tail, and the police liked to grab the kids’ pony tails. Chang Shan didn’t appreciate this (who would?), so he would hit the cops and then run away. Chang Shan has apparently spent time in jail, and hitting cops is most likely the reason why. He also says that he fought in a competition, and used an illegal knee strike. This caused people to get angry and many people stormed the ring and fought him, some wielding flag poles.

Here is a bit more info from Toby- “Chang Shan is the toughest Kung Fu movie actor I met, he's a nutter too, he's served time in jail and has a really bad temper. He’s reputation is well known in Taiwan and Korea. He was not working on anything last time I met him, he told me he met Benny the jet, and Benny said he was one of the best fighters he'd ever met.”

Chang Shan’s last movie credit is Chinese Ghostbuster starring Lam Ching Ying and Wu Ma where he played the main villain. It is a shame that he quit doing movies when he did. His acting was some of the best I've ever seen from him in Chinese Ghostbuster, and he was still in top physical shape. Perhaps he wasn’t getting paid very much, and found an easier way to make money. I will list his filmography from hkmdb.com below, but first it should be noted that this filmography is not complete, but hopefully it will be one day. Sadly, and this goes for the older HK/Taiwanese movies in general, many of the films have been lost.

Assistant Director

The Barren Virgin (1985)

Aloha Little Vampire Story (1988)

Kung Fu Student (1989)

Actor

Seven Steps of Kung Fu (1979) ... Chu Chin Kong

Of Cooks and Kung Fu (1979) ... Pok Chin Chu

Shaolin Kung Fu (1981) ... Lung Yi

Fighting Duel of Death (1981)-

Jackie and Bruce to the Rescue (1982)

Swordsman Adventure (1983)

A Fist Full of Talons (1983) ... one of the 6 Tigers

Shaolin Vs. Lama (1983) ... Golden Wheel Lama

Angry Young Man (1983)

Ninja Hunter (1984) ... Lung Wu

Wild Panther (1984) ... [title char]

Five Fighters from Shaolin (1984) ... 2nd Brother

Killing in the Nude (1985) ... General Palaka

The Barren Virgin (1985)

Ninja in USA (1985)

The Story of Dr. Sun Yat Sen (1986)

Kung Fu Wonder Child (1986)

A Heroic Fight (1986) ... Barner's bodyguard

Flag of Honor (1987)

Magic of Spell (1988)

Aloha Little Vampire Story (1988) ... villain

Lin Tou Jie (1988) ... General Kwan

Kung Fu Student (1989)

Magic Warriors (1989) ... Kid of the Worst

Pi Li Jing Hua (1989)

Geung Shi Fan Lin Ying (1990)

Lady Killer (2) (1992)

No Guilty (1992) ... Kang junior

Kickboxer (1993) ... fighter in black tuxedo

Drug Tiger (1993) ... Biao

The Chinese Ghostbuster (1994)

I have a movie called Crazy Girl Killer which isn’t listed here. It may be called Lady Killer (1992), but the cast doesn’t fully match up with what hkmdb has for a cast. There is also a movie called 7 Foxes 8 Dogs where he has a small fighting role. You can scroll down below to see a clip. Chang Shan also did some TV work. How much I do not know. He’s worked on at least 3 series’ that I know of, only one of which I know the name of, Martial World. He also worked on at least 1 TV movie, Vampire Kid with Jack Long where he plays the main villain.

Thank you all for reading. Here are some clips of Chang Shan in action-

[bBvideo 620,385]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K_S9oieRR4[/bBvideo]

[bBvideo 620,385]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_mauQ5k1_c&feature=related[/bBvideo]

Make sure to get Akuma and Jamal’s custom English dub for this movie, Shaolin Temple Strikes Back. All other versions cut this great fight scene to shreds. [bBvideo 620,385]

[/bBvideo]

[bBvideo 620,385]

[/bBvideo]

• Like 2

What a great post. Put together nicely. Chen Shan really looks quite different in all those photos, but I must admit, his look in 'Shaolin vs Lama' and 'Shaolin Temple Strikes Back' is my favorite! Pure classic.

Thanks for the post, great stuff man. :clappinghands

Morgoth Bauglir

I'm glad you liked it.

My favorite performance from Chang Shan is in Shaolin vs Lama. Easily one of the best kung fu movies, with one of the best final fights. There's lots of great things about that fight. The body slamming, how long it is, the intricate choreography, the gallons of fluids coming out of the characters mouths when they get hit :tongueout But the thing that really stood out to me is that the fight doesn't end when Lo Rei figures out Chang Shan's weakness, hitting him under the arm pit. Usually all it takes to beat an iron armor type style is to find the weak spot, and then the fight immediately ends.

My single favorite fight scene with Chang Shan is in 7 Steps of Kung Fu. His character was truly scary, and the heroes have an extremely difficult time defeating him. Even when he can't walk towards the end, he's still putting up a good fight. His splits style kung fu was very creative. At one point, he's fighting with his hands while getting up from doing the splits. I've never seen that before in any other movie. Also, it's the only time I've ever seen Chang Shan do any acrobatics. It's only a hand flip, but he does it with ease.

Secret Executioner

Only saw 7 Steps Of Kung Fu and excerpts of Shaolin vs Lama, but it's some neat stuff. He seems to have been a big inspiration for 36 Styles, considering how many t-shirts feature him. :tongueout

shaolin swords

talking about 7 steps of kung fu never saw it but looks very interesting i will buy this on my next kung fu dvd buy :smile:cool

Only saw 7 Steps Of Kung Fu and excerpts of Shaolin vs Lama, but it's some neat stuff. He seems to have been a big inspiration for 36 Styles, considering how many t-shirts feature him. :tongueout

Secret Executioner
talking about 7 steps of kung fu never saw it but looks very interesting i will buy this on my next kung fu dvd buy :smile:cool

It's one of the movies from the Flying Fists Of Kung Fu set. Just saying. :wink

In case anyone missed it, Chang Shan is planning to appear in Robert Samuels' upcoming martial arts film Beast alongside Lo Meng and Marco "DaAnswer" Johnson. They are currently undergoing trying to receive funds for the film through IndieGoGo. 

Beast-606x330.png

• Like 2

On 7.1.2016 at 8:05 PM, AlbertV said:

In case anyone missed it, Chang Shan is planning to appear in Robert Samuels' upcoming martial arts film Beast alongside Lo Meng and Marco "DaAnswer" Johnson. They are currently undergoing trying to receive funds for the film through IndieGoGo. 

Beast-606x330.png

Sorry I'm a bit late for the party. Just wondering did this ever happen?

Just got a taste of Chang Shan in "Five Fighters from Shaolin" and the guy is just bad ass! Any recommendations on must see movies? Sadly many of the youtube clips in this thread are long dead. Would've love to see his interview. Also found this clip which looks pretty good. Maybe someone knows the title?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, laagi said:

Maybe someone knows the title?

Wish I could help you out @laagi but I've no idea what movie that clips from.

We had a month of CHang Shan related reviews started by Morgoth Bauglir last year, sadly it got deleted.

57c72276a4938f8f5050e174e5f701db.jpg

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude

Sweet interview. Thanks for posting that link. @DragonClaws

I just watched Shaolin vs Lama for the first time last night. That movie is off the chain, and he is a force to be reckoned with as the villain.

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer
On 12/8/2018 at 7:43 PM, DragonClaws said:

1984 Hong Kong movie, filmed in Taiwan, and Directed by Lee Tso Nam.

WildPanther.jpg

I reviewed this one back in 2015 -

http://cityonfire.com/wild-panther-aka-the-pursuit-1984-review/

It's actually a Taiwanese/Korean co-production that was shot in Korea.

If you enjoyed Jackie Chan's forest fight in 'The Foreigner', then you should get a kick (no pun intended) out of Chang Shan and Eagle Han Ying going at it in the finale of this one!

• Like 3