Shaw Brothers Directors?

Nippon Senshi

Nippon Senshi

Shaw Brothers studio had numerous film directors during their reign over Chinese/Hong Kong cinema. But it seems that anytime I give or receive a Shaw film recommendation, it is always a Lau Kar Leung or a Chang Cheh movie. There are many other directors that have not had as much recognition as these two men. Two of my favorite Shaw directors (besides the other two) are Ho Men Hua (The Cave of the Silken Web (1967),The Flying Guillotine (1975),Shaolin Abbot (1979)) and Chor Yuen (Sentimental Swordsman (1977), Clans of Intrigue (1977), Perils of the Sentimental Swordsman (1982)). Why do you think these men received this recognition (besides the fact that they made a large number of super hit films) and who are some of your favorite Shaw directors?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zhang Che (as we write it over here) was the God of Shaw directors: great in quantity and (usually) quality. He understood how to put the key elements for the genre together.

It's very true that Chu Yuan (Cantonese Chor Yuen = 楚原) is very under-rated. Sentimental Swordsman is one of the BEST Shaw films ever done. Problem is he didn't direct too many. Wiki gives:

* Cold Blade (1970)

* The House of 72 Tenants (1973)

* The Jade Tiger (1977)

* Sentimental Swordsman (1977)

* Clans of Intrigue (1977)

* Legend of the Bat (1978)

* Clan of Amazons (1978)

* Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre (1978)

* The Proud Twins (1979)

* Heroes Shed No Tears (1980)

* Emperor and His Brother (1981)

* The Duel of the Century (1981)

* Perils of the Sentimental Swordsman (1982)

* The Hidden Power of the Dragon Sabre (1984)

Which is about 1/10 of Zhang's output!

MarsHarmony

I really love Chor Yuen's films. Another film of his is one of my favorites -

Return of the Sentimental Swordsman (1981)

post-60-144199713538_thumb.jpg

Archived