Is Anything More Awesome...

Michael L.

Is anything more awesome than this:

I think not. Not even the Shaw Brothers opening is as grand!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really love both movie companies intros, Golden Harvest and Shaw Brothers, when hearing either, you know you are in for a treat (most of the time).

Here are some variations of the GH intro.

Here is my impassioned defense of the Golden Harvest intro sequence as being superior, and it is summed up in one sentence:

The Shaw Brothers sequence, with its trumpet fanfare and shield logo, is similar to sequences used by many other film companies around the world, while Golden Harvest has something unique.

Here is my impassioned defense of the Golden Harvest intro sequence as being superior, and it is summed up in one sentence:

The Shaw Brothers sequence, with its trumpet fanfare and shield logo, is similar to sequences used by many other film companies around the world, while Golden Harvest has something unique.

I can't argue with that. But still, when you do hear the trumpets and whatnot of the SB intro, you just feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :coveredlaugh

I agree... and statistically speaking, you're probably about to see a better movie. But as an intro, Golden Harvest takes it.

TibetanWhiteCrane

I'll go with the GH intro as well! There's a sting of nostalgia everytime I see it! There were little to no SB flicks around, when I started watching HK movies, as a kid (around '84). So it doesn't have the same connotation, for me personally.

The first GH flick I ever saw was Young Master, rented in a little dingy, basement video store, where the store clerk was a fat, cigar chomping, pedophile looking mofo with a bad combover.... I loved that store!

I can barely remember, but did the SB flicks released on the Warner label have the SB logo in the beginning?

I had King Boxer, Chinatown Kid and The Killer (Sacred Knives Of Vengeance) from that label. But some douche borrowed them, and then the bastard moved!

The first GH flick I ever saw was Young Master, rented in a little dingy, basement video store, where the store clerk was a fat, cigar chomping, pedophile looking mofo with a bad combover.... I loved that store!

Why is it that we ALL know that video store and that friggin' cretin clerk?! It's enough to make me subscribe to some kind of weird alien cloning pre-invasion conspiracy theory...

TibetanWhiteCrane

I loved the feel of those old school video stores! Then they were faded out by franchises, where you were met by some pimply faced teenage douche, who would just blankly gaze at you with a mixed look of disdain and indifference. And buddah forbid you should actually ask a question, and interrupt his or her busy schedule of standing there :punch

Ok, I think i've derailed this thread....

Anywho.... my favourite logo is no doubt the GH :smile

It's tough searching Youtube stuff here via the proxy... :angry

Anyway, beside the GH intro, which to me means Bruce, and the SB which I associate with all those great films, I want to add the Kung Fu Theater intro:

When I lived in Conn., in the 80's, it used to come on Saturday afternoons. Half of the stuff they aired was utter crap, but they got some good ones in too. Fond memories! :clappinghands

An article I just found on KF Theater:

http://www.examiner.com/kung-fu-movies- ... -best-show

post-97-144199712981_thumb.jpg

I have a mate who's fascinated by film company logo intros in martial arts films. He keeps pestering me to create a montage/archive of all of the different ones we come across during Friday Kung Fu DVD Night. Daft, really, but I dunno, I kind of enjoy looking out for new and obscure company intros. He finds the IFD intro hilarious, and I have to agree.

The Shaw just shades it for me, but were talking tiny degrees of difference here. The Golden Harvest intro is EPIC.

The good thing about both intros, is that you know the chances are high that you're about to see something good. Both of them build a sense of anticipation and excitement.

Archived