Top 10 Jidai-Geki Films

venom10463

With the huge selection of jidai-geki or chambara films. I wanna know what are some of y'all top 10 films of all time. I've been collecting samurai films since 2004 and I have as of yet to come across one I didn't like. So, I'll start off with the films I thoroughly enjoyed the most in no particular order. In addition, I'll count series and trilogy as one film. :rockon

Yojimbo

Sanjuro

Sword of Doom

Kill!

Three Outlaw Samurai

Nemuri Kyoshiro (Sleepy Eyes of Death) series

Satan's Sword trilogy

Samurai Vendetta

Miyamoto Musashi series (Unforunately, I

have as of yet to watch the 3 part Miyamoto Musashi films starring Toshiro Mifune. Yeah, I Know! :angry )

Lone Wolf and Cub series

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those newly into samurai films, I would highly recommend checking out each films on my top 10 as well other people's top 10.

I've been watching quite a few Japanese films of late for a change of pace & plan on getting plenty more viewed soon as I've been slacking off. It's hard to make a top ten, I always forget some or change my mind but I rank these as some of the best I have seen:

The Betrayal

I Want To Die A Samurai

Assassination Orders

Inn Of Evil

Shadow Hunters

Sanjuro

Harakiri

Red Lion

Shogun's Ninja

Samurai Pirate

(Unforunately, I have as of yet to watch the 3 part Miyamoto Musashi films starring Toshiro Mifune. Yeah, I Know! :angry )

What?!

Seriously?

No need to worry anymore because I plan on picking them up real soon. Now, if only if I can find them some place cheap :cash

I've been watching quite a few Japanese films of late for a change of pace & plan on getting plenty more viewed soon as I've been slacking off. It's hard to make a top ten, I always forget some or change my mind but I rank these as some of the best I have seen:

The Betrayal

I Want To Die A Samurai

Assassination Orders

Inn Of Evil

Shadow Hunters

Sanjuro

Harakiri

Red Lion

Shogun's Ninja

Samurai Pirate

Great selection, Whirlwind. I completely forgot about The Betrayal and Harakiri. Are you also Whirlwind on adc?

Amazon has the Criterion Collection boxset for $63 (and even cheaper from third parties or used), which isn't bad for Criterion DVDs. Don't be thrown off by the fact that the headline for the set dates it at 1967, though; they are of the '50s films.

Great selection, Whirlwind. I completely forgot about The Betrayal and Harakiri. Are you also Whirlwind on adc?

Yes, that's me :smile

Should have mentioned these as well, I always forget...

Sword of the Beast

Goyokin

Sword Devil

I watched Magic Serpent aka Battle of the Dragons recently which was very enjoyable. I don't mind a bit of fantasy in the samuari setting for a change like a huge dragon & toad going at it :coveredlaugh

Anyone know of any similar style films?

I got in on this late as I am not an expert herein (although I do have Kurosawa complete).

Anyway, here are my five (with a couple of comments):

Yojimbo: Mifune is so cool in this he's freezer-burn!

Shogun Assassin: I've got the entire original series, but, honestly, I thought the US edited cut of two-in-one was better.

Sanjuro

Seven Samurai

Miyamoto Musashi series

While I was living in Japan I used to watch Aburenbo Shogun TV series, which, while basically the same story every week (incognito Shogun hears about criminals, incognito Shogun tracks down criminals, revealed Shogun kills them all) it was still friggin' great.

I know that I am an old school fool, but I have lost track of how many times I have

watched Seven Samurai. Toshiro Mifune - :love

And I love

Sanjuro

Yojimbo

Gate of Hell

I also know that is no where near ten!

Another great series of movies are the Zatoichi films starring Shintaro Katsu who is fantastic. There are some on Netflix, but only on disc.

Hulu.com is streaming the following list, in descending order, of Zatoichi movies - for free (with only an occasional 60 seconds of commercials), and they are from the Criterion Collection, so they look great. Check it out!

:thumbsup

http://www.hulu.com/watch/128283/zatoichi-the-blind-swordsman-the-tale-of-zatoichi#s-p4-so-i0

Samaritan Zatoichi 1:22:53 12/28/1968

Zatoichi and the Fugitives 1:22:16 08/10/1968

Zatoichi Challenged 1:26:37 12/30/1967

Zatoichi's Cane Sword 1:33:07 01/03/1967

Zatoichi's Pilgrimage 1:22:30 08/13/1966

Zatoichi's Vengeance 1:22:47 05/03/1966

Zatoichi and the Chess Expert 1:27:24 12/24/1965

Zatoichi and the Doomed Man 1:17:30 09/18/1965

Zatoichi's Revenge 1:23:28 04/03/1965

The Adventures of Zatoichi 1:26:12 12/30/1964

Fight, Zatoichi, Fight 1:27:39 10/17/1964

Zatoichi's Flashing Sword 1:22:12 07/11/1964

Zatoichi and the Chest of Gold 1:22:27 03/14/1964

On the Road 1:27:49 11/30/1963

The Fugitive 1:26:11 08/10/1963

New Tale of Zatoichi 1:31:37 03/15/1963

The Tale of Zatoichi Continues 1:12:29 10/12/1962

The Tale of Zatoichi 1:36:15 04/18/1962

Just an update - the Hulu.com "Zatoichi" collection may only be on the Hulu Plus option. But there is a free week trial for that, and you could probably watch several of them before you canceled it.

:coveredlaugh

There are not a lot of action sequences, but they are intense and quick. What is really great about the Zatoichi films is the storyline and the great acting.

Zatoichi films are on Hulu for free in standard def with commercials. The Zatoichi TV show is on Joost.com for free.

I just finished watching all 18 Zatoichi films on Hulu plus., and every single one of them was terrific. The cinematography is stunning, the music is outstanding, and as the films progressed, there was more and more swordplay action. Zatoichi is a character that is easy to spend hours and hours of time with because of well written character and the compelling and brilliant performance by Shintaro Katsu. I know I will enjoy them again and again. Classic classic classic.

:happy

To this day, I have not seen a single Zatoichi movie. :sad

When I do finally get around to seeing them, do I need to begin with the first one, or can I view them in any order? What do you guys recommend?

Thanks!

To this day, I have not seen a single Zatoichi movie. :sad

When I do finally get around to seeing them, do I need to begin with the first one, or can I view them in any order? What do you guys recommend?

Thanks!

Abbot, what ever order you decided to watch them in, I think you would still derive great enjoyment from them. However, the first three are fairly sequential, and the majority of the rest of the films often reference something that has happened in a previous story, and I am glad that I was able to watch them in order of their release.

:smile

MarsHarmony

I watched 4 films that HanzoBankai recommended, all of which are available to watch online, including almost all of the Zatoichi films, in the Critertion Collection on Hulu-

Three Outlaw Samurai - 1964 (oddly, Hulu has it listed as from 1968) starring Tetsuro Tanba, and it was fantastic. Just two years after that release, Chang Cheh reworked the story (although it was almost the same) into The Magnificent Trio (1966) with Wang Yu, Lo Lieh and Cheng Lui. Tetsuro Tanba would later work with Chang Cheh on both The Water Margin (1972) and All Men Are Brothers (1975). There's serendipity for you.

[bBvideo 620,385]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDy04W28wNc[/bBvideo]

Sword of the Beast (1965) was also most excellent.

[bBvideo 620,385]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne4VqHQciSQ[/bBvideo]

and The Sword of Doom (1965) which left me wanting a few story lines wrapped up, but Tatsuya Nakadai gives such an outstanding performance that I had to get over my wanting more. Balistik94 did a super job making this teaser for Sword of Doom -

[bBvideo 620,385]

[/bBvideo]

AND

If you have not seen Kill! (1968) - wow, it was just great! A fabulous retelling of the Sanjuro story. One of my new favorites for sure.

[bBvideo 620,385]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX1obRvUM2M&feature=related[/bBvideo]

I watched 4 films that HanzoBankai recommended, all of which are available to watch online, including almost all of the Zatoichi films, in the Critertion Collection on Hulu-

Three Outlaw Samurai - 1964 (oddly, Hulu has it listed as from 1968) starring Tetsuro Tanba, and it was fantastic. Just two years after that release, Chang Cheh reworked the story (although it was almost the same) into The Magnificent Trio (1966) with Wang Yu, Lo Lieh and Cheng Lui. Tetsuro Tanba would later work with Chang Cheh on both The Water Margin (1972) and All Men Are Brothers (1975). There's serendipity for you.

[bBvideo 620,385]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDy04W28wNc[/bBvideo]

Sword of the Beast (1965) was also most excellent.

[bBvideo 620,385]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne4VqHQciSQ[/bBvideo]

and The Sword of Doom (1965) which left me wanting a few story lines wrapped up, but Tatsuya Nakadai gives such an outstanding performance that I had to get over my wanting more. Balistik94 did a super job making this teaser for Sword of Doom -

[bBvideo 620,385]

[/bBvideo]

AND

If you have not seen Kill! (1968) - wow, it was just great! A fabulous retelling of the Sanjuro story. One of my new favorites for sure.

[bBvideo 620,385]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX1obRvUM2M&feature=related[/bBvideo]

MarsHarmony, for a different retelling of Sword of Doom, I'd recommend you checking out Satan's Sword trilogy starring the great Ichikawa Raizo

and Souls in the Moonlight trilogy starring Kataoka Chiezo. If you need help tracking them down, pm me and I'll send them to you.

While I am maybe not the most qualified to comment here, I can say my favorite of the few I have seen is easily Sword of the Beast.. While I realize it may not be as great as the best that Kurosawa had to offer, it's just one of the films that I really connect with. Even so, it is still a grade A classic, and a really great movie.

The only other film I have seen from Hideo Gosha is Hunter in the Dark, which was decent, but I wasnt a huge fan of.

Sword of beast is a favorite of mine. I prefer jidai-geki films that are predominantly outdoors in the country, I like to observe the beautiful scenery.

Have you seen three outlaw samurai and kill?

Archived