Top 10 Old School Kung Fu Movies

SMK

Magnificent Novice

Very difficult indeed! I have seen mine changing over time.

In no particular order:

5 deadly Venoms

Shaolin Challenges Ninja

Magnificent Butcher

The Victim

Human Lanterns

Hapkido

My young Auntie

Mad Monkey Kung fu

7 Grandmasters

5 fingers of Death

phew that was hard!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Magnificent Novice

Actually I need to trade 5 fingers of death with Shaolin V Lama.

Oh gosh, The mystery of chessboxin should be in here too :sad

Jadedragon61
Very difficult indeed! I have seen mine changing over time.

In no particular order:

5 deadly Venoms

Shaolin Challenges Ninja

Magnificent Butcher

The Victim

Human Lanterns

Hapkido

My young Auntie

Mad Monkey Kung fu

7 Grandmasters

5 fingers of Death

phew that was hard!

Ahhhhhh! Human Lanterns!!! :evilgrin

A few months back, my wife and I watched that and Black Magic. The wifey was afraid to take out the garbage at night for three days :rofl:rofl:rofl

Very tough but I like it!!

1. Tundering Mantis

2. The Cranefighter

3. Shaolin vs Yoga

4. The Odd Couple

5. Shaolin vs Lama

6. Five Superfighters

7. Drunken Dragon

8. Sleeping Fist

9. Dance of the Drunken Mantis

10.Four Invincibles

Hope you enjoy!

Very tough but I like it!!

1. Tundering Mantis

2. The Cranefighter

3. Shaolin vs Yoga

4. The Odd Couple

5. Shaolin vs Lama

6. Five Superfighters

7. Drunken Dragon

8. Sleeping Fist

9. Dance of the Drunken Mantis

10.Four Invincibles

Hope you enjoy!

Very respectable list PaiLum. A couple of those I haven't seen yet, I will definitely be checking them out. Thanks for commenting, I appreciate your participation and support on the forum. :thumbsup

OK. Well. I thought about it, made different lists on a paper and found out that my all time favorite kung fu films are also the best known ones.

My absolute favorite old school kung fu film is WARRIORS TWO.

Then in no particular order:

2.Prodigal Son

3.Magnificent Butcher

4.Knockabout

5.Encounters Of The Spooky Kind

6.The Odd Couple

7.Dreadnought

8.Broken Oath

9.Shaolin Plot

10.The Young Master

OK. Well. I thought about it, made different lists on a paper and found out that my all time favorite kung fu films are also the best known ones.

My absolute favorite old school kung fu film is WARRIORS TWO.

Then in no particular order:

2.Prodigal Son

3.Magnificent Butcher

4.Knockabout

5.Encounters Of The Spooky Kind

6.The Odd Couple

7.Dreadnought

8.Broken Oath

9.Shaolin Plot

10.The Young Master

It's fair to say, you must be a Sammo fan. :smile:thumbsup The only movie he is not in, I believe is The Young Master. Great list by the way, thanks for posting.

It's fair to say, you must be a Sammo fan. :smile:thumbsup The only movie he is not in, I believe is The Young Master. Great list by the way, thanks for posting.

Yeah!! Sammo is my hero.

Omni Dragon

He's not in DREADNAUGHT either.

Yeah!! Sammo is my hero.

Sammo is great ☺ he can do acting roles, direct & action direct all incredibly well.

I´ve seen Pedicab Driver but I don´t find it that amazing to be included in any top list. Ok it has its moments but overally.....Sammo has many better films which push Pedicab Driver down in the charts. Just my opinion.

I´ve seen Pedicab Driver but I don´t find it that amazing to be included in any top list. Ok it has its moments but overally.....Sammo has many better films which push Pedicab Driver down in the charts. Just my opinion.

Fair enough, I was just curious as I greatly enjoy it. Your list is fantastic even without it!

well well guys, I am just like you, Sammo is my number 1 actor and director no doubt, and if one day I get the chance to meet him, Ill instantly kneel down and offer him some tea in order to become his student (although I am not sure I would have the guts to be one hehe) .... anyway, a top ten is super difficult, a top 20 would have been just a tiny easier .... here I go with no particular order but with a Sammo overall smell with only a few exceptions... :

1. Warriors Two

2. Prodigal Son

3. Dreadnaught

4. The Victim

5. Pedicab Driver

6. Odd couple

7. Enter the Fat Dragon (surprised no one mentionned this one, to me the best homage to Bruce Lee and Sammo mimic the moves of Bruce so well, it is like Bruce still lives through the body of Sammo).

8. Dance of the Drunk Mantis

9. Thundering Mantis

10. Duel to the Death

11. Knockabout

on top of that I will allow myself to add one more that is so special to me and a rarely seen awesomeness : Encounter of the Spooky Kind.....

I think the above movies are the ones I saw the most times over and over.... any occasion is good to see them, and I showed them to so many friends even non kung fu fans of course..... I mean nobody ever could hate on those movies.... but well, I think they are classics for everybody here anyway....

by the way, I am very curious about 2 movies mentionned earlier in this topic : the loot and the challenger.... never heard of these movies.... any tips on where to buy them from ??

The Loot and The Challenger are both great great flicks!! You definitely have to get them!! I´ve bought them at hkflix.com which is no longer with us :-D but I think maybe yesasia.com could have the Joy Sales versions.

thanks, I will browse through yesasia and see if they have it.... either way I noted the name of these two movies on my "have to get them list" which is already pretty long and Ill get them sooner or later anyway....

thanks,

daaaayyyyuuuummmmm...... I saw the loot and the challenger..... wow movies were great... with a little preference on the challenger..... but anyway, these last few days I received a lot of new movies that I never saw : The loot, The Challenger, Dragon's claw, Hellz Windstaff, Taoism Drunkard and many more.... wow thanks to this forum I got my hands on new material that I never heard about..... only quality movies that I saw recently..... but really, I enjoyed those 5 movies like a kid with a new toy..... they were exactly what I was looking for.

daaaayyyyuuuummmmm...... I saw the loot and the challenger..... wow movies were great... with a little preference on the challenger..... but anyway, these last few days I received a lot of new movies that I never saw : The loot, The Challenger, Dragon's claw, Hellz Windstaff, Taoism Drunkard and many more.... wow thanks to this forum I got my hands on new material that I never heard about..... only quality movies that I saw recently..... but really, I enjoyed those 5 movies like a kid with a new toy..... they were exactly what I was looking for.

All the movies you mentioned, I have seen them all and really enjoyed. Although it's been some time since I have seen them, I should rewatch some of those titles soon. It's good to hear you enjoyed them all, David Chiang is the man, even without the SB studios behind him. :smile

The Taiji Pirate

A tough question. IMO there is a difference as far as "best" or most important martial films vs personal favorites.

As far as best or most important and influential I would say: Enter the Dragon, Come Drink with Me, The 36th Chamber of Shaolin, The One-Armed Swordsman, The Five Fingers of Death, The Five Deadly Venoms, Executioners from Shaolin, Legendary Weapons of China, Police Story, and Once Upon a Time in China.

As far as personal favorites I find myself watching the stranger films from the genre again and again some I really like are: My Young Auntie, Return to the 36 Chamber of Shaolin, Crippled Avengers, Thundering Mantis, Five Element Ninjas, Shaolin and Wu-Tang, Bastard Swordsman, Master of the Flying Guillotine, Crazy Horse Intelligent Monkey, and I would say the drunken sword v drunken staff fight from Shaolin Temple is one of my favorites.

The Taiji Pirate

Oh snap! I forgot, Last Hurrah for Chivalry. That is a fantastic movie! Definitely one of my favorites.

Secret Executioner

We said no Shaw Brothers nor Golden Harvest films. :tongueout

Personally, I'm having a hard time making up my list. Too many enjoyable flicks to choose from already, and my list could change any time I discover a movie I hadn't seen before.

The Taiji Pirate

:worried my bad, disregard my last long winded post without Shaw or Harvest i'll go with

Thundering Mantis, Shaolin and Wu-Tang, Drunken Tai Chi, Born Invincible, Bruce Lee Fights Back from the Grave, Kung Fu vs Yoga, Crazy Horse Intelligent Monkey, Sun Dragon (a hard way to die), Super Power, 18 Fatal Strikes.

Secret Executioner

Great picks there - I especially love 18 Fatal Strikes, and I have a strange fascination for Bruce Lee Fights Back From The Grave. :thumbsup

The Taiji Pirate

I have a fascination with "Bruceploitation" in general. I enjoyed watching the movies when I was young and didn't know any better. Then as I started really understanding Bruce Lee's real impact on the world the Bruceploitation sub-genre left a bad taste in my mouth. As I continued to learn about Kung Fu Cinema however, Bruceploitation really started to fascinate me. The length these actors went to pay homage to Bruce, while still being able to leave there own subtle trademarks is really interesting. It reminds me in a way of what Christian Bale says in American Hustle about counterfeit art: "People believe what they want to believe. 'Cause the guy who made this was so good that it's real to everybody. Now who's the master -- the painter or the forger?"

:worried my bad, disregard my last long winded post without Shaw or Harvest i'll go with

Thundering Mantis, Shaolin and Wu-Tang, Drunken Tai Chi, Born Invincible, Bruce Lee Fights Back from the Grave, Kung Fu vs Yoga, Crazy Horse Intelligent Monkey, Sun Dragon (a hard way to die), Super Power, 18 Fatal Strikes.

No harm, no foul. :smile

Your Top 10 list here, really interesting mix. Thanks for sharing.

Difficult without including golden harvest and shaw bros,but here goes.Rebellious reign,Superpower,Sun dragon(hard way to die),The victim,Fearless dragons(two on the road),Dragon fist,Shaolin temple(jet li),Tiger over the wall,Snake in the eagles shadow,Invincible armour.God I wish they still made these kind of movies

Archived